Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson, Prog heritage and legacy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson, Prog heritage and legacy
    Posted: October 12 2013 at 14:31
Now it sounds like a title of a book by Steven Wilson.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 03:50
Progressive rock and progressive music are two different same things. Confused One is the original fusion of older classical ideas with a newer music. Occasionally there are changes and new bands that turn up, but after a while I get the idea that "prog" most certainly means symphonic rock mainly. Remove that and where are we all?

As for SW, when I heard P Tree's Sky Moves Sideways a long time ago I thought here's a guy who wants to be Pink Floyd so much he's recorded one of their best albums. After that album P Tree became one of the greats right up to but not including The Incident. The Raven is okay, fusion oriented but I am reminded of U2's Rattle and Um (sic) where they "discovered" Americana, blues etc and thought they were so cool at this "new" thing. I think alot of this perception of new / old is that many people (but probably not on this site) do not consider music from before they were adolescents. Thus anything recorded / released before they were"alive" is "irrelevant". Unless they are heritage oriented then music may be respected.

But there it is - time. Either dismissed as past history (tautology noted). Or a proud history. Still the same thing. Plus ca change n'est pas?

However I can't help but also note that people, as the sum of their conflicts and not resolutions are a mass of contradictions (just look at the indecision, discussion and debate on the meaning of prog.) - and SW is no different. Since making his / their identity he got in touch with the 60s 70s masters and re-did some of their records.

Progressive rock means moving rock on but also remaining the same. Contradictions in music that indicate the indelible humanity involved in writing, recording, performing, hearing, absorbing, loving, hating, arguing, occasionally agreeing and well, being passionately indifferent.

Have I gone off topic? Again? Shocked

Cristi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 08:42

this is so funny, i never knew Wilson is such a prog geek LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789