Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson, Prog heritage and legacy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 17:07
^So it's not you buying up all the Porcupine Tree vinyl then?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 17:55
[statement about the irony of using the word "progressive" to describe vintage-sounding music]
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 18:39
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Yeah nah. Too many crappy influences in modern prog. The melodies are just not up there

I sorta agree, but there are some exceptions. There are some really good modern prog bands, but they are hidden in the depths of the interwebs. You gotta search for them. The more popular bands I have never been able to enjoy. 

Edited by pfloyd - July 31 2013 at 18:40
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 19:34
The 70's prog snobs are out in force, I see.  Wink
theprogmind.com
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 21:54
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Yeah nah. Too many crappy influences in modern prog. The melodies are just not up there

I sorta agree, but there are some exceptions. There are some really good modern prog bands, but they are hidden in the depths of the interwebs. You gotta search for them. The more popular bands I have never been able to enjoy. 

Every now and then I find a cool song, but the bands don't produce much more than the occasional cool one
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 06:21
Originally posted by Second Life Syndrome Second Life Syndrome wrote:

Clap

I'm a big fan of "classic" prog but these guys are writing off some brilliant stuff - Big Big Train, Wilson, Lifesigns and Shineback to name just a few this year.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 06:26
Well what can you do? Everybody's got ears and opinions. Sometimes they refrain from using the former though...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 07:56
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Second Life Syndrome Second Life Syndrome wrote:

Clap

I'm a big fan of "classic" prog but these guys are writing off some brilliant stuff - Big Big Train, Wilson, Lifesigns and Shineback to name just a few this year.

Seventies prog will always rule in my opinion but as you say there is so much decent new stuff that it would be silly to ignore it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 15:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Yes produced some of the most abrasive music of the 70s for all the harmony and symphony there is an aggression in those core era albums that has been diluted by modern symphonic prog bands, including latter-day Yes themselves unfortunately - perhaps what was seen as  "following the blueprint from 1972 so closely" was in reality not following it closely enough, but merely following the perception of what that blueprint was.

Very nice analysis of the whole thing, and there is one other bit that would help this some ... btw ... and it is on that thread from that guy that did the description of CTTE in classical and romantic (my word!) terms ... and one of his comments was, that YES might have struggled with the idea of continuing with such a classical format, as CTTE generally shows their ability was at the time, or would it become more of a rock band.

The answer was in the next two albums ... they took the "classical" context and composition to its furthers with TFTO and then, they knew tha the "classic period" was over ... and they had to revert to a rock band design and concept and "Relayer" is massive in the "aggression", which is not always found in an orchestral piece.

Following the 1972 blueprint, was, in many ways, more of a compositional idea and design, than it was anything else. I still think, and Ian Anderson gave us a photograph of it, that the idea was ... this is the new "classical music" ... yes, it is electric, and yes, it is in the concert halls ... but your old standard is dead ... the ballerina! And it has died even more since!

However, by the time we take a large piece from Dream Theater, it does not have a whole lot of "classical", composition aspects in it, and its transitions are almost exclusive via a rock format ... instead of a chorus ... here is the next part ... instead of a bridge ... here is the next part ... and then bring it all back together much later!

Rock music, however, has a lot of people that can compose, and do so even better, than many classically minded folks. And the fact that they also have a bit of an edge because they could not do this with an orchestra or in class with their teacher ... sends us all back to rock music!

Steven is not one of those bad guys, but I do think that he needs to stop feeling hurt and complaint like someone took away his life and living ... he's been a part of a system that has stolen more souls and spirits ... than the devil himself!  On top of it, he is a minority ... since less than 5% will ever be able to make a meal off their work ... like he does ... ! He'll learn ... sooner or later!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 01:35
Wilson is entitled to persuade people to buy rather than illegally download his tracks, which is actually all that he did, even though those that probably felt a bit guilty tried to blow it out of proportion.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 04:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Yes produced some of the most abrasive music of the 70s for all the harmony and symphony there is an aggression in those core era albums that has been diluted by modern symphonic prog bands, including latter-day Yes themselves unfortunately - perhaps what was seen as  "following the blueprint from 1972 so closely" was in reality not following it closely enough, but merely following the perception of what that blueprint was.

Very nice analysis of the whole thing, and there is one other bit that would help this some ... btw ... and it is on that thread from that guy that did the description of CTTE in classical and romantic (my word!) terms ... and one of his comments was, that YES might have struggled with the idea of continuing with such a classical format, as CTTE generally shows their ability was at the time, or would it become more of a rock band.

The answer was in the next two albums ... they took the "classical" context and composition to its furthers with TFTO and then, they knew tha the "classic period" was over ... and they had to revert to a rock band design and concept and "Relayer" is massive in the "aggression", which is not always found in an orchestral piece.

Following the 1972 blueprint, was, in many ways, more of a compositional idea and design, than it was anything else. I still think, and Ian Anderson gave us a photograph of it, that the idea was ... this is the new "classical music" ... yes, it is electric, and yes, it is in the concert halls ... but your old standard is dead ... the ballerina! And it has died even more since!

However, by the time we take a large piece from Dream Theater, it does not have a whole lot of "classical", composition aspects in it, and its transitions are almost exclusive via a rock format ... instead of a chorus ... here is the next part ... instead of a bridge ... here is the next part ... and then bring it all back together much later!

Rock music, however, has a lot of people that can compose, and do so even better, than many classically minded folks. And the fact that they also have a bit of an edge because they could not do this with an orchestra or in class with their teacher ... sends us all back to rock music!
I (inevitably and predictably) disagree.

As you may be aware, this is one of my major objections to "raising" the Pop music of Progressive Rock to the loftier heights of Classical Music - CTTE is not classical music in structure or composition. The title track is not a sonata, concerto or symphony - it is three pop songs segued together and concluded by a medley of those same three tunes to form a (semi)coherrent musical piece that is still pop music, albeit with slight classical inspiration and a few classically sounding leitmotifs. TFTO is four self-contained extended Rock pieces (a composed studio jam if you will) contained in a single package with no musical relationship between them, with that it cannot be compared to a 4-movement classical piece in terms of structure where rules apply even when they are "broken". In analyisis it is no different to how DT rearrange the individual parts of verse, chorus, bridge/middle eight to produce Pop (as Rock) music that does not fit a the format of a Pop Standard, it is a different beast but still of the same family, and evolution not a creation. To see this in action listen to Wakeman's arrangement for Cat Stevens' version of Morning Has Broken -  a standard Pop song (in this case in the form of a 20th century hymn) given a classical leitmotif workover and an extended bridge played in a classical style on the piano to produce a variant that remains a Pop song - Prog music is that on a grander scale.

This does not make it classical nor does it make it ersatzklassischen or a pastiche of classical music - it is a different beast but it is still Pop (as Rock) music
What?
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 17:15
If Steven Wilson wants to depart from classic prog rock, why doesn't he revolutionize prog rock by incorporating elements of breakcore or trip-hop ? Oh wait, Igorrr did this with the former, and Izz with the latter.

The Flower Kings are a project by Roine Stolt, who was laready there in the prog musical landscape of the seventies, so it's in the line of his former projects.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 17:52

I (inevitably and predictably) disagree.

As you may be aware, this is one of my major objections to "raising" the Pop music of Progressive Rock to the loftier heights of Classical Music - CTTE is not classical music in structure or composition. The title track is not a sonata, concerto or symphony - it is three pop songs segued together and concluded by a medley of those same three tunes to form a (semi)coherrent musical piece that is still pop music, albeit with slight classical inspiration and a few classically sounding leitmotifs. TFTO is four self-contained extended Rock pieces (a composed studio jam if you will) contained in a single package with no musical relationship between them, with that it cannot be compared to a 4-movement classical piece in terms of structure where rules apply even when they are "broken". In analyisis it is no different to how DT rearrange the individual parts of verse, chorus, bridge/middle eight to produce Pop (as Rock) music that does not fit a the format of a Pop Standard, it is a different beast but still of the same family, and evolution not a creation. To see this in action listen to Wakeman's arrangement for Cat Stevens' version of Morning Has Broken -  a standard Pop song (in this case in the form of a 20th century hymn) given a classical leitmotif workover and an extended bridge played in a classical style on the piano to produce a variant that remains a Pop song - Prog music is that on a grander scale.

This does not make it classical nor does it make it ersatzklassischen or a pastiche of classical music - it is a different beast but it is still Pop (as Rock) music

I see it a little differently, Dean. 

CTTE, to my ears, is not classical music as it seems to be defined today (that's another discussion).  The use of the rock band palette alone makes that distinction. 

CTTE is a themed set of songs, connected together into movements, that borrows some elements from classical (the deeply structured depth and complexity of <I>The Solid Time Of Change</I>, the use of movements to bring the theme together, and the variations of the theme in the way the musicians perform them, not only in the similarities between <I>Total Mass Retain</I> and <I>Seasons Of Man</I> but also in the evolving patterns within each section.

So no, CTTE is not classical.  It is a progressive rock song that could be used to define the genre, a piece that expanded the definition of rock music all by itself. 

Pop? I think not.  Popular?  Somewhat at the time.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 19:06
Some folk do get defensive when I use the "Pop" word. LOL
What?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 11:12

"Pop" as a music genre means a little more than mainstream. It defines an aim to sell the music to as wide an audience as possible. That usually (not always) inhibits the intention to create great art.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 14:24

What?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 16:57

So what? Mozart was popular. Did he make pop music?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 17:04
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

So what? Mozart was popular. Did he make pop music?

Yes.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 17:08

I like pop. Smile
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 17:18

And some get defensive when their ideas are questioned.

Again: So what?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>