Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommend me some new stuff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 01:14
if you are seeking 70s prog.rock, dont miss Turkish band Nemrud...
their latest album ritual is very promissing
check this out Thumbs Up
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 10:10
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

Dream Theater is pretty exciting.
I recommend it you.

they have an extensive history of albums so it should be narrowed down to:
Images and Words - their highest rated album on PA 
Awake - my favourite of theirs
they stretched themselves a bit for Scenes From A Memory and Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence which are both good.
The safest place to start is Octavarium which has a few passing nods to classic prog
avoid Train Of Thought which is out and out metal.
Systematic Chaos is the last one I got by them but I don't like it.

I agree with everything you just said except about TRAIN OF THOUGHT.

I think that is an exceptional album. DT's whole central focus was to create their most ballzy metal opus yet. I think they succeeded. Still till this day it is their heaviest release. ;)

Don't break my heart Richard. .........

I actually hated it so much I swapped it for Tool - Lateralus. I don't mind 'heavy' just don't like 'boring'.
So sorryEmbarrassedWink

Awe that's cool. I respect your opinion. And swapping it for TOOL's LATERALUS also, is a respectable move.
That's one of the very best experimental prog metal albums today. ;)
I think with regards to 'Train of Thought' some things like James LaBrie rapping in AS I AM or the repetitious chorus of IN THE NAME OF GOD I can understand bugging and boring people. ;)

Tool is boring though too :[
Meta/Heavyl - 
Arcane - Chronicles of the Waking Dream
Caligula's Horse - Moments From Ephemeral City
Disperse - Living Mirrors
Votum - Harvest Moon
PR/MR - 
Sgt - Stylus Fantasticus
Sleepmakeswaves - ...And So We Destroyed Everything
HANDLINGNOISE - s/t

Tool boring? Oh come on. No way. Their pretty adventurous. The drumming is ridiculously amazing in that band. Danny Carey rocks pretty hard, especially on LATERALUS. I gotta defend Tool here. It's my prog right.
Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 11:42
I know that the OP is a (very gifted) guitarist so would recommend something from my own adopted backyard:

Avadante by Australian instrumental guitar critters Kettlespider:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=778785

I liked this and I hate everything (praise indeed)

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 17:49
Sure Daney is great and all but their music is monotonous and I can't get through Lateralus without being bored of the amounts of rehashed material on the same album. 

I don't wana bash a band you like continually though. That's just my thoughts on them.

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 18:12

Sure Daney is great and all but their music is monotonous and I can't get through Lateralus without being bored of the amounts of rehashed material on the same album. 
I don't wana bash a band you like continually though. That's just my thoughts on them.

Yes. Poking the 'TOOL' bear would not prove useful.
Listen. I'm not an uptight lunatic, so you can say whatever you like.
I'm glad you stated your opinions. Makes me think.
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear more as to why TOOL's music is a repetitive and monotonous sound that seems to bother the sh*t out of you.   
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 21:04
I have only 10000 Days and I find that to be pretty boring.  Not sure why.  Haven't bothered with anything else by them because of that purchase...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 22:45
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

... So what's good for 2013? Is anyone doing anything truly new and fresh?

Maybe you'll like Big Tree the album released in July 2013 by Italian band Bill in the Tea.
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 23:53
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

How is the new Setna album??? I wanna get it badly, but i can't find a digital version. guess i gotta buy it on amazon for like $50....

It's very good, personally I think it's better than their first album, they are probably the best modern zeuhl band out there.

You can get it from Lasers Edge for $18.

http://www.lasercd.com/node/9686

Awesome, thank you!!!
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 10:57

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear more as to why TOOL's music is a repetitive and monotonous sound that seems to bother the sh*t out of you.   

I don't hear any variation in their sound, it's the same atmosphere, guitar riffs, vocal style, drum approach etc etc etc.

You can listen to the song Lateralus and hear the band's bag of tricks they use on every song. 

Rosetta Stoned and The Patient are my favorite Tool songs. Just throwing that in there. Tongue
TheGreatSopko View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 11:53
CHON - Newborn Sun  (all instrumental prog) you can find them on bandcamp
Watch as Kings Awakening revives Progressive Rock : http://www.youtube.com/KingsAwakening
http://www.facebook.com/KingsAwakening
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 17:42
I haven't bought a whole lotta prog in 2013, but I really like Anciients - Heart Of Oak.

Mastodon meets Opeth-type metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngcCqJRM2u0
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 23:01

I don't hear any variation in their sound, it's the same atmosphere, guitar riffs, vocal style, drum approach etc etc etc.
You can listen to the song Lateralus and hear the band's bag of tricks they use on every song. 
Rosetta Stoned and The Patient are my favorite Tool songs. Just throwing that in there. Tongue

Ok. Very interesting. I think LATERALUS is quite a deep listen and has diversity to it, but it's hard to pick up on because a lot of the songs are played really fast. Actually, quick question. What kind of headphones do you use for quality, isolating prog listening experiences? I just will say, that poor headphones that lack a good midrange in sound dynamics can really hurt listening to a band like tool. It's very hard to pick up on the nuances and other tonal differences. My experience is that TOOL do have that diversity. You just need the hardware to hear it. It's hard to pick up without good cans. ;)
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 11:17
I suggest using the top 10 albums of every year to find the best of the best:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&syears=2013&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=70&y=10#list

The new Nemrud album is very enjoyable.  As an Eloy fan, I think it is a great listen.  Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep by Spock's Beard, and Fanfare & Fantasy by Comedy Of Errors are both excellent.

I love English Electric (Part Two) by Big Big Train, psychoanorexia by T, and Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
Riverside.  There is just so much good prog to listen to.

I am waiting for my Tangent CD to come in the mail, but here are anticipated releases for 2013:

Blackfield IV August 27, 2013
Dream Theater September 24, 2013
Frequency Drift
Airbag
Ayreon
Anubis

Edited by javajeff - July 12 2013 at 11:21
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 11:50

Ok. Very interesting. I think LATERALUS is quite a deep listen and has diversity to it, but it's hard to pick up on because a lot of the songs are played really fast. Actually, quick question. What kind of headphones do you use for quality, isolating prog listening experiences? I just will say, that poor headphones that lack a good midrange in sound dynamics can really hurt listening to a band like tool. It's very hard to pick up on the nuances and other tonal differences. My experience is that TOOL do have that diversity. You just need the hardware to hear it. It's hard to pick up without good cans. ;)

I'm sorry but regardless of the headphones or speakers i use, it doesn't fix the problems i have with Tool :|
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 21:03

I'm sorry but regardless of the headphones or speakers i use, it doesn't fix the problems i have with Tool :|

Ok. Fair enough.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 22:07
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

I suggest using the top 10 albums of every year to find the best of the best:http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&syears=2013&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=70&y=10#listThe new Nemrud album is very enjoyable.  As an Eloy fan, I think it is a great listen.  Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep by Spock's Beard, and Fanfare & Fantasy by Comedy Of Errors are both excellent.I love English Electric (Part Two) by Big Big Train, psychoanorexia by T, and Shrine Of New Generation SlavesRiverside.  There is just so much good prog to listen to.I am waiting for my Tangent CD to come in the mail, but here are anticipated releases for 2013:Blackfield IV August 27, 2013Dream Theater September 24, 2013 Frequency DriftAirbagAyreonAnubis

Very good suggestions here. Have to agree on just about everything you've recommended here.

Also. I'd like to know, based on your knowledge of fine prog here, if you enjoy the latest Tangent effort. :)

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 22:21
Has the most recent Tangent been actually released or is it still those who pre-ordered it?

The Tangent is the best symphonic band out there today. I really wanna hear this new one..
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 16:39

Has the most recent Tangent been actually released or is it still those who pre-ordered it?
The Tangent is the best symphonic band out there today. I really wanna hear this new one..

It's out dude. The rite of work is only 10$ on amazon!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 17:46
Has anyone heard of the syphonic metal band 7th Reign??

Have a great album called 'Fallen Empires.' I reccomend them.
josuu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 01:17

I'm joining this thread, lots of good stuff to be checked out. I've recently liked *Shels's album Plains of the Purple Buffalo, can anyone recommend something similar?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12