Message Reverse Sort Order
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Museum
    Posted: July 10 2013 at 17:43
TKC:
I certainly understand your skepticism. However, I was among Les' "inner circle" for a time, and probably know as much about his and his history (including personal stuff) as anyone. As I have noted, Les was simply not the kind of person who would lie about such a thing. He had no reason to, given how much he had contributed to the music industry re inventions, electronics, etc. And you will simply have to take me word, as someone who knew him well, that he was also almost ridiculously humble about all of it.

You would obviously not find anything on the Web, in any literature, etc. about this issue, since, to Les, it was simply a "moment in passing" that meant virtually nothing to him. (As was giving David Seville the idea for The Chipmunks...among MANY other "give-aways.")

BTW, Les also invented the underlying electronics for almost every single original guitar effect box, from fuzz to flange (though he was not involved in developing the wah-wah pedal).

Peace.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 01:28
How about a 'Clavioline' ??  Precious few Prog bands used one (Amon Duul II, Dragon - NOT the New Zealand band...)
The Choir-Organ Jimmy Jackson used in A.D.II
......indeed very rare and precious gear which possibly reside in museums somewhere already.........
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 18:38
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Not very original but Squire's boots are a must in any Prog museum.
Anyone wearing those today would most probably be perceived as a drag queen LOL

Squire looks like a deranged 60's go-go dancer...and if I could, I'd put Alan White's haircut in the museum too LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 17:00
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Nigel Tuffnel's armadillo

Don't forget Derek Small's aluminum foil wrapped cucumber LOL 

The 18" high Stone Henge model would make a nice display stand for that cucumber. Though if we can have just one exhibit from the Tap I'd say it would have to be an amp that goes up to 11.

Already got one...LOL

Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:55

Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Matthew Parmenter's epic costumes from the early Discipline days for sure. And the cymbal Bill Bruford played on Red had it not been destroyed. Cry

I think I remember reading that he found it in the recording studio trash bin...an incredible sound!  Did he destroy it playing "One More Red Nightmare"? LOL 

Ha yeah, I heard that too, with one side folded like an Australian bush hat to fit in the bin. LOL And no, surprisingly, but I'm shocked it even held up through the entire recording process at all!

By brother and I tried recreating it with an old Zildjian crash he cracked. It actually worked! Then he broke it... Unhappy

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:54
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

TKC:

"Your statement implies Les Paul created the modern synthesizer and threw a bone to unknown Bob Moog to follow his design and put it together.  Can you site a source for this statement?"

The source is Les himself, with whom I worked for over a decade...

This is a revolutionary claim and Les was clearly a musical innovator in fields ranging from electric guitar and pickup design to multi-track recording technology and concepts.

The problem is I've reviewed several sources (the books, "Electronic and Experimental Music - Pioneers in Technology and Composition" and "Analog Days - The Invention and Impact of the Moog Synthesizer") and can find no mention of Les Paul's involvement in electronic tone generators or their marriage to a keyboard controller.  On the other hand, it's clearly stated that Moog began his company to manufacture Theremin kits in 1953 and after coming in contact with composer Raymond Scott, began designing electronic circuits in the latter '50's.  Moog even credits Scott as influencing his designs.  Further, I found a fine article that describes the length and breadth of Les' musical innovations, but once again, no mention of electronic music devices or concepts.

I searched online and did find a Les Paul - Bob Moog connection under Norlin Inc.  The company owned both Gibson and Moog in the early 70's and as heavies in both divisions they became good friends...but the article clearly implies that their relationship began after Norlin, not before.  The full article lives here:

I mean no offense, but without being able to corroborate your account, I find it difficult to accept that Les Paul rather than Bob Moog was the father of the modern keyboard synthesizer.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 16:20

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Nigel Tuffnel's armadillo

Don't forget Derek Small's aluminum foil wrapped cucumber LOL 

The 18" high Stone Henge model would make a nice display stand for that cucumber. Though if we can have just one exhibit from the Tap I'd say it would have to be an amp that goes up to 11.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 15:13
Not very original but Squire's boots are a must in any Prog museum.
Anyone wearing those today would most probably be perceived as a drag queen LOL

Edited by Gerinski - July 09 2013 at 15:16
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 15:06

TKC:

"Your statement implies Les Paul created the modern synthesizer and threw a bone to unknown Bob Moog to follow his design and put it together.  Can you site a source for this statement?"

The source is Les himself, with whom I worked for over a decade.  (...)

Peace.
Really nice post, very interesting thanks!
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 14:30
TKC:

The source is Les himself, with whom I worked for over a decade.  Given how much he invented (and how humble a man he was...and he WAS), he has no reason to lie.  Les was working on an electronic device originally intended for guitar.  It did not seem to be "moving" the way he wanted, so he "fritched" it a bit, and found that it would work quite well for keyboard.  Note that this was the mid to late 1950s, or latest early 60s.  Bob visited Les about this time, and that was when Les gave him the "schematics" (I am not sure of the EXACT form they took).  Although Bob designed most of the elements, the device he demonstrated at the AES convention in 1964 would not have been possible without the schematics that Les gave him: i.e., the ability to use the keyboard as the "conrtoller" device came from what Les gave him.  And that device led directly to development of the first Moog synthesizer, which was demonstrated for the first time by The New York Rock & Roll Ensemble at a Young People's Concert at Lincoln Center (with Leonard Bernstein conducting the NY Philharmonic) - a concert I attended when I was 13 years old (late 1970).

Re patents, Les had no interest in the patent, which is why he simply gave it to Bob.  Indeed, Les invented many other things which he simply "gave away" to others.  A funny example is the following.

It was sometime in 1957.  Les had just completed recording a multi-track of Mary's vocals.  A gentleman came to visit him to discuss music, recording, etc.  Les went to play him the recording he had just done of Mary's harmonies.  However, Les accidentally reset the speed, and the tape got played at a higher speed than normal.  He quickly stopped it and reset the machine.  But the gentleman said, "wait a minute - can you play that again, the way it was?" Les did, and the man asked him if he could use that idea.  Les was not even sure what the guy had in mind, but he said, "sure."  That man was Ross Bagdasarian (David Seville), and Mary's speeded-up vocals become the genesis of The Chipmunks.

These are apocryphal stories, not urban legends.  Again, Les had absolutely no reason to lie - not least because he really did give away quiet a bit, and really didn't care.  (He was already stupidly wealthy, and was not "money" kind of guy anyway.) 

I could tell you plenty of other fun anecdotes re Les, but I those two are relevant to this discussion.  As an aside, there is no reason Bob Moog should not take credit for the Moog synthesizer, since even though Les' "gift" to him helped him develop it, Les himself would never have followed up on it, and it was only one component (though admittedly an important one) in a complex machine.

Peace.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 02:45
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by TheGreatSopko TheGreatSopko wrote:

Rick Wakeman's custom made mellotron the Birotron. Only 1000 were made and only 6 are known to exist today and only 2 of them work. Rick Wakeman doesn't even have one.
There is a Birotron credited on the latest La Maschera di Cera album, along with a truly amazing keyboard list (chamberlin, crumar organ, mellotron, minimoog etc.).  I wonder if they're all just sampled ??
I don't think it can be a real Birotron (btw many less than 1000 were made, I have read several versions of the story but in any case less than 35, it depends on the build level, whether you consider a prototype machine with just one set of tapes as a 'a built unit' or not, or parts never actually assembled etc).
According to Wiki some samples of 4 Birotron sounds exist but they are of very poor quality, although Streetly (manufacturer of the Mellotron) has a tape with the Birotron choir.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 01:18
Originally posted by TheGreatSopko TheGreatSopko wrote:

Rick Wakeman's custom made mellotron the Birotron. Only 1000 were made and only 6 are known to exist today and only 2 of them work. Rick Wakeman doesn't even have one.
There is a Birotron credited on the latest La Maschera di Cera album, along with a truly amazing keyboard list (chamberlin, crumar organ, mellotron, minimoog etc.).  I wonder if they're all just sampled ??
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 12:17

-The original schematics for the first keyboard synthesizer, created by Les Paul and given to a little-known engineer-inventor named Robert Moog

Your statement implies Les Paul created the modern synthesizer and threw a bone to unknown Bob Moog to follow his design and put it together.  Can you site a source for this statement?  Everything I've read on the subject states that Moog developed the building blocks of the synthesizer in collaboration with composers Herbert Deutsch and Raymond Scott.  Moog himself owns many patents including "Electronic Music Synthesizer".  Although a clear innovator on guitar design and technique, I've never heard Les Paul mentioned in connection with Bob Moog or the invention of the synthesizer.

Inquiring minds want to know Wink  
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 11:33
Well...if we're talking "history," we should be starting at the beginning, no?

-The original schematics for the first keyboard synthesizer, created by Les Paul and given to a little-known engineer-inventor named Robert Moog

-The ORIGINAL Moog synthesizer, used by The New York Rock and Roll Ensemble even prior to Emerson's use of one

-The organ used by Mark Stein on the first Vanilla Fudge album

-The two eight-in, four-out decks used by The Beatles to create Sgt. Pepper

-The black Les Paul Custom used by Robert Fripp on In The Court of the Crimson King

-The original artwork for Freak Out, Pepper, Court, Piper, Dark Side, and a handful of other groundbreaking albums

-Mike Pinder's mellotron (already mentioned)

I could go on, but I'm sure you see my intention.

Peace.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 23:41
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Matthew Parmenter's epic costumes from the early Discipline days for sure. And the cymbal Bill Bruford played on Red had it not been destroyed. Cry

I think I remember reading that he found it in the recording studio trash bin...an incredible sound!  Did he destroy it playing "One More Red Nightmare"? LOL 
TheGreatSopko View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 22:17
Watch as Kings Awakening revives Progressive Rock : http://www.youtube.com/KingsAwakening
http://www.facebook.com/KingsAwakening
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 03:01
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 18:24
Irmin Schmidt's 'Alpha 77' synth module.
The only copy of M. Frog Labat's debut album that ever sold.......(he was the synth-nut of Rundgren's Utopia debut album - the one with 'The Ikon' on it...)
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 16:02
Hello, Cleveland! 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 13:16