Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProggers not interested in vinyl.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 13:03
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Maybe some of us are 18 year old college students who like vinyl but do not have the money to go out and collect a bunch of records.  Just maybe.Also, maybe some of us are happy with their CD's or whatever and don't appreciate being mocked for not taking a greater interest in what you happen to be interested in.

My brother got after me today about why I still buy music and not download. Long story short, at the end of our conversation I he wanted to go to the record store and by some albums.

Yes. I converted my own blood to do the right thing.

Amen, brother...To me, whether it's vinyl or CD, I simply like to own something PHYSICAL for my money. I'm not much of a data hoarder, and I like to look over the CD booklets or LP sleeves too much!

It's the same for me as a 20+ year comic book collector...there's a big move with them being made on the digital mediums, and believe me, they simply POP on those tablet screens, but it's not the same thing as me having a physical copy to treasure forever.

I don't know how old your brother is, but I guess lots of younger people don't have that thrill of going into a store and discovering some elusive or unexpected musical surprise! I still remember buying a CD and having to wait until school finished, or getting home on the bus to anxiously listen to it!

I like having physical copies, and have never illegally downloaded a thing in my life.  I don't collect vinyl though,  Don't have the time or money.  It sounds way better on vinyl, though, and maybe someday I'll be able to get myself a record player and start collecting.
Erm ... you do know that you can legally download also, right?
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 18:03
Many of the things I want have only been released on record (or cassette and other odd formats). If said thing ends up getting a re-release on cd, i'm going to sell the record/cassette/whatever and buy the cd, unless it's something special like a colored vinyl, or really cool/interesting packaging.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 22:23
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

I gots nostalgia for grass right now.

Knobblandia gots a creek running through backyard and I now gorra go mow other side. This means, I , an old man wif no helper,  gots to carry a heavy-body (self-propelled )Toro lawnmower across the creek and up 4 feet of gambion.

So's iffin you dont hear from me today, I bust a kidney or sum gut and drwoned in 10 inches of creek wattah.

When rain comes, me carcass be washed out, ragged and torn on sharp riverbed rock to  shore of Lake Ontarieur where some pokey child gonna come upon me glassy eyes and  wide-open gob wif an eel peering out.

Him be traumatoizered for life, belikes.

I will not send you any of my used records or CDs.....but I will send you some of my used underwear, you can put those on your head as you mow the grass, that would be pretty funny
But then again the looney mobile might come knocking on your door.........

Just eat a lot of tacos. Get that Underware nice a soiled. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 14:22

Compared to psychers.

Issit because proggers are likely to be nerds?

The irony!

It all started in VINYL days!

Ian will love that and it will be the next cover ... it will be called ... "PASSIONATE DEATH"

Sadly, thinking that today is sad, small minded and pathetic, as the medium has absolutely nothing to do with the message, unless you took the pills and kissed Marshall McLuhan's butt and became a really good socialite with 2.3 kids and all that!

Edited by moshkito - July 08 2013 at 14:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 15:56

This thread not about vinyl VS cd sound, wotever.

Its about proggers being nerds , more likely to be employed  on some IT team and nerds are not interested in nostalgia.

Old hippies - psychers - are.
I must be a 'psycher' coz I love vinyl, and I don't consider myself a 'nerd' (but I probably am.....)
Theremin77 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 07:17
It's cool to be nerd these days isn't it?!! Tongue

I have some old vinyl and love the large format artwork but I haven't even owned a turntable in years. These days, for albums, I usually have a 'master' copy on CD and then ripping to whatever device for listening convenience.

The only real argument I've seen for vinyl sounding better than CD/download (in a variety of genres) is that it tends to be mastered more sympathetically due to the physical restrictions of vinyl - and in these days of hard mastering to make everything seem louder than everything else it tends to destroy the dynamics (and a lot of Prog uses a wide dynamic range - so maybe there's an argument there!). 

I reckon there will be some modern or remastered released where the vinyl release does genuinely sound 'better'  than (or maybe just different from) the CD/digital release. Massive brickwall limiting in mastering for CD/digital can totally suck the life out of a piece of music.

In saying that, vinyl is not the most convenient format for very long track lengths or tracks that all flow into each other, both of which can be features of Prog - once upon a time you'd have to consider song lengths and breaks to allow for it when vinyl was the main format.

Personally I'd go for a large format artwork book with a well-mastered hi-res memory stick so see and hear it in its full glory!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 09:55
^ nice response man. You cover a lot of ground.

I am certainly of quality and balanced dynamics in the overall sound of my music.
You do have to be very careful of those digital format downloads where a lot of them can be quite compressed.
I tend to prefer CD quality for the lossless audio format they have.
:)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 17:43
Originally posted by Theremin77 Theremin77 wrote:

I have some old vinyl and love the large format artwork but I haven't even owned a turntable in years. These days, for albums, I usually have a 'master' copy on CD and then ripping to whatever device for listening convenience.

The only real argument I've seen for vinyl sounding better than CD/download (in a variety of genres) is that it tends to be mastered more sympathetically due to the physical restrictions of vinyl - and in these days of hard mastering to make everything seem louder than everything else it tends to destroy the dynamics (and a lot of Prog uses a wide dynamic range - so maybe there's an argument there!). 

I reckon there will be some modern or remastered released where the vinyl release does genuinely sound 'better'  than (or maybe just different from) the CD/digital release. Massive brickwall limiting in mastering for CD/digital can totally suck the life out of a piece of music.

In saying that, vinyl is not the most convenient format for very long track lengths or tracks that all flow into each other, both of which can be features of Prog - once upon a time you'd have to consider song lengths and breaks to allow for it when vinyl was the main format.

Personally I'd go for a large format artwork book with a well-mastered hi-res memory stick so see and hear it in its full glory!

Nice reply.......I have plenty of vinyl that sounds better than the CD issue. I even have some hi-rez files 24/96 and 24/192 that don't hold a candle to my vinyl issues, and yes the DAC I have can play 24/192 files.
On CD/Digital the long tracks are still individual files if they are numbered tracks in the disc or file...you can still hear the "digital" pause between tracks. But yes a track like Mei from Echolyn will not work on vinyl.....TAAB came on vinyl initially, digital files allowed you to listen to it without a flipping break, which is cool.

As much as the entire music world knows about digital brickwalling and all the complaining about it.......it still is happening. Angry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 21:09

It's cool to be nerd these days isn't it?!! TongueI have some old vinyl and love the large format artwork but I haven't even owned a turntable in years. These days, for albums, I usually have a 'master' copy on CD and then ripping to whatever device for listening convenience.The only real argument I've seen for vinyl sounding better than CD/download (in a variety of genres) is that it tends to be mastered more sympathetically due to the physical restrictions of vinyl - and in these days of hard mastering to make everything seem louder than everything else it tends to destroy the dynamics (and a lot of Prog uses a wide dynamic range - so maybe there's an argument there!). 
I reckon there will be some modern or remastered released where the vinyl release does genuinely sound 'better'  than <span style="line-height: 1.2;">(or maybe just different from) </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">the CD/digital release. Massive brickwall limiting in mastering for CD/digital can totally suck the life out of a piece of music.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">In saying that, vinyl is not the most convenient format for very long track lengths or tracks that all flow into each other, both of which can be features of Prog - once upon a time you'd have to consider song lengths and breaks to allow for it when vinyl was the main format.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Personally I'd go for a large format artwork book with a well-mastered hi-res memory stick so see and hear it in its full glory!</span>

Nice reply.......I have plenty of vinyl that sounds better than the CD issue. I even have some hi-rez files 24/96 and 24/192 that don't hold a candle to my vinyl issues, and yes the DAC I have can play 24/192 files.
On CD/Digital the long tracks are still individual files if they are numbered tracks in the disc or file...you can still hear the "digital" pause between tracks. But yes a track like Mei from Echolyn will not work on vinyl.....TAAB came on vinyl initially, digital files allowed you to listen to it without a flipping break, which is cool.

As much as the entire music world knows about digital brickwalling and all the complaining about it.......it still is happening. Angry

What kind DAC player do you have?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 21:55

It's cool to be nerd these days isn't it?!! TongueI have some old vinyl and love the large format artwork but I haven't even owned a turntable in years. These days, for albums, I usually have a 'master' copy on CD and then ripping to whatever device for listening convenience.The only real argument I've seen for vinyl sounding better than CD/download (in a variety of genres) is that it tends to be mastered more sympathetically due to the physical restrictions of vinyl - and in these days of hard mastering to make everything seem louder than everything else it tends to destroy the dynamics (and a lot of Prog uses a wide dynamic range - so maybe there's an argument there!). 
I reckon there will be some modern or remastered released where the vinyl release does genuinely sound 'better'  than <span style="line-height: 1.2;">(or maybe just different from) </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">the CD/digital release. Massive brickwall limiting in mastering for CD/digital can totally suck the life out of a piece of music.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">In saying that, vinyl is not the most convenient format for very long track lengths or tracks that all flow into each other, both of which can be features of Prog - once upon a time you'd have to consider song lengths and breaks to allow for it when vinyl was the main format.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Personally I'd go for a large format artwork book with a well-mastered hi-res memory stick so see and hear it in its full glory!</span>

Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-11....I got this one as it can be used as a preamp and tube buffer for analog gear.

There are many, many better ones...but at triple the cost and don't have the features Yulong added in, plus I wanted a tube/valve based DAC. This way I can adjust sound to my liking by tube rolling and the nice warm analog sound I prefer.

Edited by Catcher10 - July 14 2013 at 21:55
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 23:22

Ditto! More people should do this.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 08:39

Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-11....I got this one as it can be used as a preamp and tube buffer for analog gear.

There are many, many better ones...but at triple the cost and don't have the features Yulong added in, plus I wanted a tube/valve based DAC. This way I can adjust sound to my liking by tube rolling and the nice warm analog sound I prefer.

I'd really like to get something like this, so I can have high Fi quality everywhere I go. Portable tube amps are so convienant. I'm also a guy who does not obsess about what cables I should use when hooking up my gear. It's the equipment itself that fully matters. I've got a pair of sennheiser HD 800 headphones, so quality amps are very important
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 08:40
Portable tube amps?
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567