Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAsh Ra Tempel

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What is your favorite track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [57.14%]
6 [42.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ash Ra Tempel
    Posted: July 07 2013 at 21:16
Just heard the album for the first time today and I was blown away. What is your favorite of the two amazing tracks?

Edited by mister nobody - July 08 2013 at 08:37
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 00:40
Traummaschine !!!  This piece of sonic bliss takes me where I want to go without chemical enhancements Clap
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 01:46
The second.

Though both are damn excellent.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 02:02
"Traummaschine."

Which means "dream machine." How cool is that?
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 18:57
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Just heard the album for the first time today and I was blown away. What is your favorite of the two amazing tracks?

Their album Join Inn is just as good in my opinion with two side long tracks as well. I actually prefer the opening track on their debut but the more mellow one on Join Inn.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:01
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Their album Join Inn is just as good in my opinion with two side long tracks as well. I actually prefer the opening track on their debut but the more mellow one on Join Inn.

The mellow one on Join Inn is amazing - good call John. I love to drift away on that track - really takes me out on the horizon.

I'm voting for the rawkus one here - the one featuring Jimi Hendrix on peyote downtown HamburgBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:27
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The mellow one on Join Inn is amazing - good call John. I love to drift away on that track - really takes me out on the horizon.

I'm voting for the rawkus one here - the one featuring Jimi Hendrix on peyote downtown HamburgBig smile

Where have you been you crazy bugger. Actually I probably don't want to know the details.LOL

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:43

Where have you been you crazy bugger. Actually I probably don't want to know the details.LOL

Rhodos - 15 daysCool Music (tons of it, but strangely most metal - really digging Alcest and Arcturus at the moment), beach, crystal clear waters, books, ancient ruins from a beautiful culture on a background of mountains and that oh so blue ocean. I have literally been cooked! When I pull my boxershorts off now, they're actually still thereLOL Looks that way. It was so hot down there, so I practically only wore a couple of shorts the whole time. Too warm for shirts of any kind. I look like a sausage someone forgot on the barbecue...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:47
Been so long since I played it I can't recall what either track sounds like......have to give it a listen
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:54

Rhodos - 15 daysCool Music (tons of it, but strangely most metal - really digging Alcest and Arcturus at the moment), beach, crystal clear waters, books, ancient ruins from a beautiful culture on a background of mountains and that oh so blue ocean. I have literally been cooked! When I pull my boxershorts off now, they're actually still thereLOL Looks that way. It was so hot down there, so I practically only wore a couple of shorts the whole time. Too warm for shirts of any kind. I look like a sausage someone forgot on the barbecue...

Good for you David, it's good to take some holidays. Interesting that you mention Alcest because i've been thinking about getting one of their albums after seeing they are opening for Anathema in Toronto in the Fall.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 20:09

Good for you David, it's good to take some holidays. Interesting that you mention Alcest because i've been thinking about getting one of their albums after seeing they are opening for Anathema in Toronto in the Fall.

You mean to say that you haven't heard Écailles de lune yet?!?!? John, my dear friend - you have to go sit in the corner nowStern Smile 
Seriously though, you should go get it. There are a few nods to black metal vocal wise and with high pitched production, but it fits so well with the music surrounding. I get a lot of Floyd from these guys(or this guy to be more exact), but it's like a beautiful post rock version of the Floyd ca 1970. Some gorgeous French singing as well. I think you'd really dig it(crosses fingers, toes and left nipple).

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 08:55
^ Sorry for hijaking this poll guys. Especially an Ash Ra Tempel poll. That is the one I was planning on getting David and I have heard samples and was impressed so...it's on my to get list.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 09:18
Yeah sorry about thatEmbarrassed

Getting back to the Tempel, then I absolutely love Schwinggungen. The electronics are loopy and bubbly - even by Göttsching and Enke's standards. Manuel though really went all out on this, and practically made a completely unique sound for himself that nobody has been able to produce ever since. It's in a pretty raw and psychedelic embryonic form on here, but you heard it crystallize on the subsequent collab he did with Michael Hoenig called Early Water. The chessboard album continues to evolve on the format, and succeeds in conjuring up the blueprint for the IDM scene rolling across some 10 years later.

Oh and then there's the madman John L singing, grunting, yelling while completely out of his head on LSD. Always a winnerLOL

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 10:27

Getting back to the Tempel, then I absolutely love Schwinggungen. The electronics are loopy and bubbly - even by Göttsching and Enke's standards. Manuel though really went all out on this, and practically made a completely unique sound for himself that nobody has been able to produce ever since. It's in a pretty raw and psychedelic embryonic form on here, but you heard it crystallize on the subsequent collab he did with Michael Hoenig called Early Water. The chessboard album continues to evolve on the format, and succeeds in conjuring up the blueprint for the IDM scene rolling across some 10 years later.

Oh and then there's the madman John L singing, grunting, yelling while completely out of his head on LSD. Always a winnerLOL

John L really brings some character to that album doesn't he ?  Although as you say with the electronics and Gottsching's guitar work this was a very colourful record anyways. I'd rate it just behind the debut and Join Inn.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 22:08

The one with the super-shred guitar.
Tongue
Not a big fan of Krautrock in general, but this is definitely an exception.  I'll say track 1.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 01:48

John L really brings some character to that album doesn't he ?  Although as you say with the electronics and Gottsching's guitar work this was a very colourful record anyways. I'd rate it just behind the debut and Join Inn.
Damo Suzuki was tame and accessible compared to the bonkers John L.  Wonder how he is these days, if he's still with us...?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 12:19
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

The second.

Though both are damn excellent.
 Post Reply Post Reply