Topic ClosedTop Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Prog Metal
    Posted: July 07 2013 at 22:07
Which are the bands you consider to be the most important from Prog Metal. I don't yet know so many bands, but the impression I have got from the ones that I have heard, and what I have been reading on the forum would include something like this:
- Dream Theater.
- Ayreon.
- Pain of Salvation.
- Opeth.
- Riverside.
- Symphony X.

Then, I'm not sure if they are still among the favourite bands, but I understand that the first important prog metal bands, along with Dream Theater, were Queensryche and Fates Warning.

Other bands that I have read that have some love, but I'm not sure if they would fit among the most important Prog Metal bands would be perhaps The Mars Volta and Devin Townsend.

Plus some of the newer bands, the one I've heard more about and perhaps should make the list is Haken, plus Distorted Harmony, and perhaps Animals as Leaders.
TheGreatSopko View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 12:01
On the otherside of Prog Metal:

-Animals as Leaders
-Chimp Spanner

Bancamp bands I Found:
-Sithu Aye
-CHON
Watch as Kings Awakening revives Progressive Rock : http://www.youtube.com/KingsAwakening
http://www.facebook.com/KingsAwakening
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 12:45
Most important? I dunno Unhappy

I rarely listen to those bands like Dream Theater that gather most attention and bring new fans into prog community, and I can't say that I quite like them at all.

I am more interested in obscure and underground prog metal bands, such as Alcest or Diabolical Masquerade. The only widely known prog metal band which I really feel an aficionado to is Opeth.
This night wounds time.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:06

I personally wouldn't lump The Mars Volta in with the prog metal crowd. Their sound is pretty loud and active, but doesn't have the same texture or character that defines metal according to my taste. But then it's all a matter of subjectivity in the end. Devin Townsend I'm not actually familiar with yet, so I can't comment on his status either way, but he's listed as Experimental/Post Metal, so I'll trust the discernment of whoever put him there.

From the list you mentioned, I agree that a lot of those groups are in fact important in the development of prog metal. Some of my absolute favorite groups ever are in that list too. But assessing who's "more important" is too difficult as most of the groups mentioned are still active to some capacity, so their contributions to the prog metal sphere have not yet concluded, and influence is also continually assessed and reevaluated in the wake of a group's definitive end.

To summarize, you listed some highly influential groups, but their level of influence is not fixed and cannot yet be adequately determined, let alone compared against the level of other groups at this point.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:28
Are you asking for influence or just our personal preference?
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 14:38
BTBAM, Devin Townsend, Gojira, Amia Venera Landscape, The Human Abstract, Mastodon, Opeth, Periphery, Sikth are the ones I listen to a lot. So I guess they're the most important to me.

Edited by pianoman - July 08 2013 at 14:38
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 17:50
Most important from an influential standpoint? I'd say Dream Theater & Opeth have to be included in there, probably Queensryche as well. The others are a bit more subjective, depending on what genre you are going towards.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:04
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Most important? I dunno UnhappyI rarely listen to those bands like Dream Theater that gather most attention and bring new fans into prog community, and I can't say that I quite like them at all.I am more interested in obscure and underground prog metal bands, such as Alcest or Diabolical Masquerade. The only widely known prog metal band which I really feel an aficionado to is Opeth.

Well, I do love Alcest's "Ecailles des Lune".
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:09
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Ummm... something in between I guess.

Somthing like which ones do you think are more important or influential on the way Prog Metal has developed, and then add your point of view and what you actually like or don't, that would be great. Thanks a lot.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:11
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Ummm... something in between I guess.

Somthing like which ones do you think are more important or influential on the way Prog Metal has developed, and then add your point of view and what you actually like or don't, that would be great. Oh yeah, and if you think I got my list right. Thanks a lot for your answers.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:22
Fates Warning is right up there as far as importance goes. If you like it heavy then check out Zero Hour.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - July 08 2013 at 19:23
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 19:32
Most prog metal I like is either in post/exp or tech/extreme category.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 23:59
Not really a fan of Prog Metal, I got into Opeth and Enslaved from the death/doom side before they showed any prog tendencies.  The only other band I like that PA classifies as Prog Metal is Thought Industry, I love their 1st 2 albums...I don't know if that makes them "important" or not Wacko

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 09 2013 at 00:01
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 20:17
Cynic
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 20:19
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Cynic

Indeed. Even their EP is powerful stuff. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 20:40
Opeth
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Maudlin of the Well
Devin Townsend
Later period Porcupine Tree
Tool
Mastodon
Pain of Salvation

Riverside doesn't really click with me, but then again I haven't delved too far into their territory yet.

Edited by RedNightmareKing - July 09 2013 at 20:41
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 20:43
Originally posted by RedNightmareKing RedNightmareKing wrote:

Opeth
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Maudlin of the Well
Devin Townsend
Tool
Mastodon
Pain of Salvation

Riverside doesn't really click with me, but then again I haven't delved too far into their territory yet.

You should they are so awesome. Second Life Syndrome is phenomenal 
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 21:40
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Originally posted by RedNightmareKing RedNightmareKing wrote:

Opeth
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Maudlin of the Well
Devin Townsend
Tool
Mastodon
Pain of Salvation

You should they are so awesome. Second Life Syndrome is phenomenal 

Definitely second that! One thing I'll say about the band is that you can't judge them on one album alone I own 3 (SLS, ADHD, and SONGS), and each one is wildly unique in its own right. If you don't like one chances are you'll like another. They truly are one of the most versatile modern acts and I can't praise them enough for how emotionally invested they are in creating actual music, not just prog by the numbers.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 21:45
Well let's be clear on who's at the top and who is important for the whole birthing on the genre itself.

Important.

Queensr˙che. Everything they did before 1991's promise land.
Fates Warning. Incrediblely one of America's best prog metal acts that really fully emerged in 1989.
Dream Theater. Still to this day they are the quintessential prog gods and re-formed early 1990's metal. Best in the business I think. They are the Wayne Gretzky of Prog Metal.
Symphony X--went their own way and created some pretty incredible prog that is largely iron maiden and dream Theater influenced.
Iron Maiden--of course these guys gave rise to a more technical/heavy metal sound in the early 80's. One of thee most important bands. They are the UK's stamp on the genre.
Metallica--Once again. Thrash metal that actually had some grace and finesse to it. And Justice For all is a very important album. The song 'ONE' became a hallmark or even a bench mark for proggy thrash metal style creations.
PSYCHOTIC WALTZ---need I say more. ;)

Now. As for who is on a major rampage for creating great, innovative prog metal today. Here are my votes.

Symphony X. They are still very relevent and are at the height or high point Of their career right now with the last 2 album releases 1) Paradise Lost and 2) Iconoclasts. Truly one of the best still to this day. I've got a ton of respect for them.

AGALLOCH. Although they are considered to be more experimental in the prog metal world where by they do not fit into prog metal's typical molds, none the less their sound is very important in the metal world of things. It's the difference they create that is outstanding and hugely innovative. The Mantle and Ashes Against the grain are important listens.

RIVERSIDE. Poland's best prog metal band by far. Have an emerging following ever since Second Life Syndrome.
Hugely consistent band that releases quality music like the air tight ANNO DOMINI.

DREAM THEATER.-- music may not be overly innovative or exciting for the past 4 albums except for ADTOE, but none the less they still create quality music and are still exciting fans with a new album coming out this September! Believe it or not, a ton of proggers like myself, still give a sh*t about what Dream Theater will do next.

Arch/MATHEOS-- only one album to their credit but I expect big things to come with this project, especially since it carries 3 of the orginal Fates Warning members. ;)

Lastly. SOULFLY. although this band is not on PA (they should be!) SOULFLY are South America's very best thrash/prog metal bands that carry the south Amercian culture with in their music with use of Latin instrumentments and percussion tools as well. They have released 8 albums to their credit and they are all good. My most relevent prog metal band for me. Their last Album (2012) ENSLAVED did very well in the metal market.

Ok. I' has yammered enough. Anyway. Great thread!   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 01:43
Dream Theater and Riverside. They have the best mix of prog rock and metal. I don't particularly care for Opeth, but you can definitely pick up on their sound elsewhere, Porcupine Tree being a good example. Not sure about the influence of Symphony X as i've always just seen them as a more metal Dream Theater.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>