Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog !!  is it a one man effort , or a Teamwork  !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg !! is it a one man effort , or a Teamwork !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 17:24
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

There would seem to be a rather simple answer to this question. Unless one plays every instrument, sings, writes lyrics, and produces (including mixing), it is all but impossible for any "progressive" project to be "one-man." Having said that, there are probably a handful of people who could pull this off, but none of them have done so (at least that I am aware of).

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4642

I bet Steven Wilson could do it, too (although I don't know if he plays drums or not)

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - July 10 2013 at 17:24
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 21:39
AH:

I'm pretty sure Wilson does play drums, though I'm not sure how well.  Still, he could certainly do a one-man project of some sort!

Peace.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 22:15
Depends on the artist.

Obviously Somone like Mike Oldfield is the bees knees for being a one man recking crew.
Guy plays everything.

A band like RUSH or DREAM THEATER fully invite the word team into their vocabulary of musical creativity.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 07:28
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Obviously there are many solo projects out there that were the product of a single artist, but as the member of a (prog-ish) band I can testify to the fact that the contribution of every band member is vital to the success of a musical project.  I write the majority of my band's songs, but they would never be nearly as good without the input of my band members.  I do most of the basic composing (and when someone else has a basic idea I usually arrange it) but the other guys typically work their own parts out along the basic harmonic structure - and I know nothing about drums so my drummer writes all his own parts.  Many of my songs would have been unbearably annoying had the rest of the band not had vital input in their composition (like "do you really need that third guitar solo and does this song really need to be 8 minutes long?) and often a part added to an already composed song completely changes it's character and makes it better; for example, we just got a second guitar player who has added so much to our sound - I had written a singer-songwriter type thing that the band was working on, and Jim (the other guitar player) came in and started playing this dark, slightly dissonant arpeggio over the chords that completely changed the character of the song and more poignantly illustrated the theme of the piece.

So yeah, it's a band effort.
This is it ! Clap
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 16:40
It depends on the man and the band.  If we are talking about Vangelis or Mike Oldfield then yes, it is the man who is the band (even though they have been involved with band projects).  But these two, and others like them, are presented as solo artists.  If it is about any of the people you have mentioned, no.  Ian Anderson once said there would be no Jethro Tull without Martin Barre, and even though Anderson is clearly bandmate #1, all the other musicians who have been with the band have contributed to its sound.  What would "A" have sounded like without Eddie Jobson?  Aqualung without John Evan?  Songs From the Wood without David Palmer?  Contrast the various incarnations of King Crimson.  Even with the one consistent person, Fripp, they sound very different and that is not all Fripp's doing.  So, for bands, it is not, and cannot be, a one-man band.
This is a good issue to raise, especially since mainstream music is so much about the singer as a single artist with no consideration for the musicians who play the music (indeed if there are any besides the programming).  As radio stations were growing more and more corporate years ago they tried to elevate the lead singer to almost solo status.  It wasn't just Queen but Freddie Mercury and Queen. Sting and the Police.  Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead.  I found these attempts laughable but now it seems insidious.  All band members contribute to the sound.  Jazz great Charles Mingus once said the most important member of the band was the drummer; in contrast Bill Berry (if I have his name right) of R.E.M. saying the drummer was expendable.  No drummer, no matter how simple or basic the playing, is truly replaceable by a machine.
So let's celebrate real music played by real people and honor the contribution of all individuals to the whole sound!  Sax manViolinHandshakeYing YangNuke
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:27
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

This is a good issue to raise, especially since mainstream music is so much about the singer as a single artist with no consideration for the musicians who play the music (indeed if there are any besides the programming).  As radio stations were growing more and more corporate years ago they tried to elevate the lead singer to almost solo status.  It wasn't just Queen but Freddie Mercury and Queen. Sting and the Police.  Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead.  I found these attempts laughable but now it seems insidious.

I think making it "all about the singer" is a historical trend which stems from record industry greed.  In the pre-Beatles rock n roll days, it wasn't about the group but the single face that could be "sold".  Elvis, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard, etc.  If a group was mentioned it was definitely in the status of 2nd class citizens, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Bill Haley and the Comets, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Booker T and the MG's, etc...  Besides being an easier "sell", you only have to pay the main guy any real cash, the rest are replaceable cogs making union wage.  

I've heard interviews with George Martin saying that when he auditioned the Beatles, he was looking for the one guy who would be the singer/leader.  Finally he couldn't choose between John & Paul, so why not have them both be the leaders?  Even Ringo was treated like a schmuck at the beginning being replaced be a session drummer on the first recordings.  I remember when the Beatles released "Yesterday", there was a huge firestorm of controversy over whether Paul would become a solo artist and leave the band.  Thankfully, the four lads had their heads on straight and carried on.

Now, popular music has come full circle and we're back to being sold single faces...Shakira, Usher, Emminem, Beyonce, The Bieb, etc.  Unless you're a musician, you'd probably never know that Jennifer Batten played guitar on all those MJ tours.  TV talent shows drive me crazy...without backup musicians, "The Voice" is a boring accapella who probably couldn't even be salvaged by the most advanced auto-tune algorithm.  

Oh well, this was fun...[/RANT]

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 11 2013 at 17:28
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:33

There would seem to be a rather simple answer to this question. Unless one plays every instrument, sings, writes lyrics, and produces (including mixing), it is all but impossible for any "progressive" project to be "one-man." Having said that, there are probably a handful of people who could pull this off, but none of them have done so (at least that I am aware of).

I bet Steven Wilson could do it, too (although I don't know if he plays drums or not)

I do it, and I don't play drums.  Tongue
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:38
I'm afraid we are confusing different hings here, 'one-man bands' and 'one-man led music in multi-members bands'.
The OP (in his 2nd post) makes clear that he is talking about the second case, mentioning Tull, Pink Floyd and KC, all of which are clearly not one-man bands but what he perceives as having made music strongly led by just one member of the band (which btw is the first questionable assumption).

The Wall was clearly led by Roger Waters, but I doubt that he or some average session guitarist could have come up with the guitar parts in Comfortably Numb.

Even if ideas are mostly brought by one band member, the other band members make a huge impact in the final product. That's why as much as I respect one-man efforts, in some other threads I have defended real-band music as having more potential to be great in principle.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:42
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

The Wall was clearly led by Roger Waters, but I doubt that he or some average session guitarist could have come up with the guitar parts in Comfortably Numb.

The guitar parts in "Comfortably Numb" are decidedly simplistic.  They fit the song though- nothing wrong with simplicity.

But I agree that the guitar parts were Gilmour through and through.  For me, those are his quintessential guitar solos- one in a major key, one in a minor.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:55
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Me too, and I do play drums LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:58
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Excellent- is there a track of yours you'd recommend right off?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 18:08

Sure, it's the 2nd on the playlist called, "I Can't Stop It" and it lives here:

Thanks for asking Big smile
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 18:16

Frankly, I would never have picked that one based on the title, but nice!

To me, it's like Camel found some twisted energy and a distortion box.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 18:56

A twisted distorted Camel...I like that LOL  Thanks for giving me a listen!  

I just gave your track Refulgence a spin...very nice...I really like the vocals & guitar work...first rate production.  How do you get your mellotron sound?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 19:00

A twisted distorted Camel...I like that LOL  Thanks for giving me a listen!  

I just gave your track Refulgence a spin...very nice...I really like the vocals & guitar work...first rate production.  How do you get your mellotron sound?

Tapeworm!

Thanks for listening. New album (enthusiastically) on the way!  Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 19:15

How do you get your mellotron sound?

Tapeworm!

Your Tapeworm tron sounds great!  In the early 90's when I recorded "I Can't Stop It" I was using an Emu Vintage Keys rackmount.  Nowadays I have samples direct from a mid 70's M400 loaded on a Yamaha Motif XF.  I can never get enough of the combination of tron strings and distorted guitar Wink
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 19:38

How do you get your mellotron sound?

Tapeworm!

Your Tapeworm tron sounds great!  In the early 90's when I recorded "I Can't Stop It" I was using an Emu Vintage Keys rackmount.  Nowadays I have samples direct from a mid 70's M400 loaded on a Yamaha Motif XF.  I can never get enough of the combination of tron strings and distorted guitar Wink

Oh indeed- there's something about a Mellotron that is so much better than modern strings synths.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 23:06
Any great band I love has been a 100% team effort---Jon Anderson needed the other guys and vice versa---the proof is in the pudding---JA solo stuff mostly mediocre---and that is true of many guys solo efforts in relationship to the group effort. 
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 23:27

Wait...did you program the drums on Refulgence?
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 06:06

Wait...did you program the drums on Refulgence?

I use BFD software by FXpansion for my drums, yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>