Topic ClosedStatic vs Dynamic elements of music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Static vs Dynamic elements of music
    Posted: July 10 2013 at 06:16
i happens to ponder about what i like about certain elements in songs i hear and like. What happens to inspire me or keeps me interested.

Static and dynamic elements of music is for me very important tools, which drives and elevates music to help you enjoy aspects of music more, the combination of the two "forces" of music, helps music to my ears to be more apreciated, interesting, and impressive (maybe).

I was in many years obsessed by the concept of dynamic being taken over by climatic endings or parts, the loosing up of dynamic to the free flow of climatic chaos, like and you and I by yes, the midel part section is a climatic less dynamic then the verse part, wcich is a dynamic groove, the midle sections looses up the dynamic groove, eases up the flow of the music, elevates the music.

then i noticed, there has to be a static element in music, monotonus or monorythmic, monomethric Confused, to songs, like the morse sign like rythem of Watcher in the Sky by Genesis,  serves more as a static part then a dynamic, as it is a single note repeatd in a metric form, metric pattern, (time signature). the Apocalypse in 9/8 is a fine example of static and dynamic coexisting in cooperating to give the section its feel, keep it static and dark, yet dynamic and forcefull

I am not addept in music theory or therminology, i describe things more like in the ways of how musicles in the body works, dynamic musicle training and static musicle traning, tension versus movement.

I think there are certain elements in music which i tend to be pulled towards and as a bass player have interest in understanding as a part of bands, to understand sustain, dynamic, static, mute, loud, silence, ghosting, drive, evertything to enhance the note, the groove, the feel and flow of sound waves to struck the listner as forcefull, as hypnotising, as numbening and as tentelizing as possible. I want to paralaize the listner numb with my bass notes CoolBig smileEvil Smile

Edited by aginor - July 10 2013 at 06:18
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 11:13
I like dynamic things.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 11:20
Much listening can be compared to a guessing game: if the listener get's his predictions mostly right about what comes next, the music will be deemed too predictable and he'll get bored and switch off. If the listener seldom if ever get's his predictions right, he will deem the music too random or chaotic, get bored and switch off. The music that satisfies you most will fall somewhere between these two extremes.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 19:01
^It's not always a guessing game.

"When I hear what we call music, it seems to me that someone is talking. And talking about his feelings, or about his ideas of relationships. But when I hear traffic, the sound of traffic—here on Sixth Avenue, for instance—I don't have the feeling that anyone is talking. I have the feeling that sound is acting. And I love the activity of sound [...] I don't need sound to talk to me." —John Cage

Trying to predict aleatoric music is a futile and exhausting effort; however, when I've sat back and listened without predicting, with no active role in discerning what comes next or even what comes before, it has usually yielded some of the best experiences I've ever had with music. This extends to a lot of music, not just aleatoric.
 Post Reply Post Reply