Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - In the Court of the Crimson King vs Black Sabbath
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn the Court of the Crimson King vs Black Sabbath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: what is the best album
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [44.44%]
15 [23.81%]
19 [30.16%]
1 [1.59%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 01:16
For me it is Black Sabbath all the way. I wasn't into King Crimson at all back then, was more of a Black Sabbath, Grand Funk Railroad, Uriah Heep man. The Sabs released six classic albums in a row, the next two were way weaker than the first six however there are moments of magic on those two albums as well. Fripp vs Iommi? - Iommi is the riff meister. Tons of respect for Iommi for battling on through the damage to his hand and still becoming a guitar legend. One wonders what would have happened had Iommi not damaged his hand and accordingly played with a guitar that was tuned down - a whole spectrum of music may not exist today possibly.

Edited by sukmytoe - July 30 2013 at 01:16
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 08:18
Sabbath is cool but no way. ITCOCK wins easily.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 17:02
Black Sabbath
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 17:34
The Court for me, but I love Black Sabbath's debut - SO influential, probably more so than King Crimson's Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 23:10
Agi, you do make it rather difficult, but the 'both' option is there so thanks !!
Ha - forgot I already voted in this poll      (same result though)

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 02 2014 at 23:12
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 05:15
I think The Court is overall better but they were both very influential albums so I vote both.
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 05:35
King Crimson without no compare. More actual as Guldbamsen said.
GhostPony750 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 21:45
For me it's without any doubts ITCOCK. Every single songs are good in this album, it's amazing. "I Talk to the Wind" is probably the best one here.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 22:20
Originally posted by GhostPony750 GhostPony750 wrote:

For me it's without any doubts ITCOCK. Every single songs are good in this album, it's amazing. "I Talk to the Wind" is probably the best one here.

LOL

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - January 05 2014 at 00:59
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 10:47
In the Court of the Crimson King is like sequences to a short film. It begins with the thriller affect on Schzoid Man then enters into this dramatic sequence with I Talk to the Wind, Epitaph, and Moonchild....closing with a kind of mysterious piece which is the title track and it sort leaves you hanging and wondering. It's bewitching. It's very luring like your being put under a spell. Fripp always had some interest in the occult. It was more evident on S.A.B.B. , but still very present on the early albums. They were intense in that way. Musically they had a Jazz mentality in the department of gymnastics and Classical background. There overall package was dark and mysterious.

First Black Sabbath album contained a Rock guitar sound that Iommi took from an original idea/concept and pushed it further , creating a louder volume level and a whole new sound. One that Ritchie Blackmore had not exactly ventured into prior to Sabbath existing. Originally the band Blue Cheer were experimenting with this hard driven edgy , noisy , distorted guitar sound when they were stuck in the late 60's ...with almost everyone else playing a more calm, toned down, Psychedelic guitar sound...with the exception of Hendrix, Townshend, and Clapton's heavy tone on Cream Live Vol.1, most psychedelic guitarists were more toned down than that level of volume. Townshend came close to creating a metal sound on Live at Leeds, but Blue Cheer created a darker sound/style with massive volume that sounded pre-metal...such as the intro to "Summertime Blues". It's metal all the way with it's distinctive tri-tone (Devil's Interval) chord change and just the overall sound of what they produce is not Psychedelic and it was 1968. .Blue Cheer wanted and tried to create that more "Heavy Metal" sound in the Psychedelic days. Iommi took that idea steps further...but it wasn't like he had read what other's had done or attempted...because he really crafted a new sound from the idea . The lyrical content of the album contained warnings about things in life that were evil. The lyrics gave you messages on how to deal with evil. Evil was a important issue with the youth then..because of fads designed around witchcraft. There are warnings on Master of Reality. When the band first toured America....they offended the older generation with their image/music/lyrics. In 1971...the staff in high school seemed to react harshly towards kids ...stating that Black Sabbath were a threat Confused

Edited by TODDLER - January 06 2014 at 12:45
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 16:32
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

In the Court of the Crimson King is like sequences to a short film. It begins with the thriller affect on Schzoid Man then enters into this dramatic sequence with I Talk to the Wind, Epitaph, and Moonchild....closing with a kind of mysterious piece which is the title track and it sort leaves you hanging and wondering. It's bewitching. It's very luring like your being put under a spell. Fripp always had some interest in the occult. It was more evident on S.A.B.B. , but still very present on the early albums. They were intense in that way. Musically they had a Jazz mentality in the department of gymnastics and Classical background. There overall package was dark and mysterious.

First Black Sabbath album contained a Rock guitar sound that Iommi took from an original idea/concept and pushed it further , creating a louder volume level and a whole new sound. One that Ritchie Blackmore had not exactly ventured into prior to Sabbath existing. Originally the band Blue Cheer were experimenting with this hard driven edgy , noisy , distorted guitar sound when they were stuck in the late 60's ...with almost everyone else playing a more calm, toned down, Psychedelic guitar sound...with the exception of Hendrix, Townshend, and Clapton's heavy tone on Cream Live Vol.1, most psychedelic guitarists were more toned down than that level of volume. Townshend came close to creating a metal sound on Live at Leeds, but Blue Cheer created a darker sound/style with massive volume that sounded pre-metal...such as the intro to "Summertime Blues". It's metal all the way with it's distinctive tri-tone (Devil's Interval) chord change and just the overall sound of what they produce is not Psychedelic and it was 1968. .Blue Cheer wanted and tried to create that more "Heavy Metal" sound in the Psychedelic days. Iommi took that idea steps further...but it wasn't like he had read what other's had done or attempted...because he really crafted a new sound from the idea . The lyrical content of the album contained warnings about things in life that were evil. The lyrics gave you messages on how to deal with evil. Evil was a important issue with the youth then..because of fads designed around witchcraft. There are warnings on Master of Reality. When the band first toured America....they offended the older generation with their image/music/lyrics. In 1971...the staff in high school seemed to react harshly towards kids ...stating that Black Sabbath were a threat Confused
fantastic reply Tongue
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 21:59
Crimson's album, easily. I just love it, while Sabbath's album has some really cool songs, but many others I don't care so much about. Plus, in a way Crimson even beat Sabbath on the metal thing with "Schizoid Man" (though later live versions of that song would be heavier and more guitar oriented).
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 23:52
The classic Prock rock album versus the album that made metal. Both with those long solos that make sense (it took ages for Moonchild's to grip with me unlike Warning)... thankfully we have the both option.
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 05:49
As for me, Black Sabbath was more progressive album than In the Court of the Crimson King.
om mani padme hum
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 17:18
Black Sabbath for me.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 06:44
Gone for 'both' because I really can't choose!
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 09:54
In the Court of the Crimson King any day of the week. I don't care anything about Black Sabbath.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 02:50
The first prog album and the first metal album. Both very important. I vote for both. 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 08:52
Q. What came first, the chicken or the road it crossed?  King Crimson.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 10:21
In the Court for me. Got into music through classic prog outfits, so they still tend to trump everything in my books.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>