This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 07:43
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There are some bands here that I don't know. And I don't really know so much of music theory and such thing. However, for what it's worth, the classic Yes line-up from Fragile and CttE is just unbeatable for me.

Agree--no one touches this Yes line-up---but Seconds out Genesis and the 80's line up of KC were all amazing live.

I would say almost Seconds Out Genesis... if only they had released that album with Bill Bruford on drums it would have been great.

Love Bill, my favorite drummer--did you hear Genesis Live in Bern 76---while there are amazing parts that Bill plays--and his jams with Phil are great--there are some songs his powerful style doesn't completely work on---but still it's great to hear. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 11:18
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Is there anyone left on these forums remotely gauche enough to fall for an objective judgement of musicianship?

I know these threads are designed to provoke healthy debate but this is just plain vanilla sillyErmm

(Cranky old man, Brisbane)

Originally posted by dictionary.reference.com dictionary.reference.com wrote:

knowledge, skill, and artistic sensitivity in performing music.
Happy? Wink

As Noel Coward might have said 'ecstatically' - I don't need a definition of the term thanks, just how you would arrive at a method to quantify musicianship that does not rest upon the listener's own aesthetic judgement Approve

(If you're up for it, try quantifying anyone's happiness while yer at it)
How is it even possible to quantify a quality?  Aesthetic judgment is essential to assessing musicianship, no?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 17 2013 at 11:21
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 19:41
"I would say almost Seconds Out Genesis... if only they had released that album with Bill Bruford on drums it would have been great."

Actually, that's Bill on Cinema Show. Sadly, the only track he is on on that album.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 20:08
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

"I would say almost Seconds Out Genesis... if only they had released that album with Bill Bruford on drums it would have been great."

Actually, that's Bill on Cinema Show. Sadly, the only track he is on on that album.

I was lucky enough to record an FM radio broadcast of a "Trick of the Tail" tour show with Mr B on drums.  It was Christmas evening 1976 and I had just gotten a Radio Shack 8 track recorder that morning as a present.  Unfortunately I never transferred the 8 track to cassette so the recording is long gone.  One of the odd things I remember about the set list is they actually played "White Mountain".  Years later I found a $50 2 CD bootleg from that tour but the sound quality was so awful I passed.

A funny thing about those 1st few post-Gabriel tours, they would either play Suppers Ready or Cinema Show but never both.  At the '78 show, Collins began the banter that always led to Suppers Ready but switched it up at the end and they played Cinema Show instead LOL
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 20:55
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Yeah, I know. But I believe there are recordings of whole shows with Bill Bruford. I don't really know why they didn't use them. Perhaps they just thought that he wasn't so well suited for the songs...
jacek1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 01:08
Yes (Squire, Wakeman, Moraz, Howe), Genesis (Collins, Hackett), ELP, King Crimson (Fripp, Brufford and ...). I can't choose one band. Maybe Naked City or Henry Cow or The Jimi Hendrix Experience or....:P. Beauty lies in the fact that we have so many great bands.
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 01:13
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

vote on the one you think is the most technically most proficient group, best musicianship, combination of studio and live preference, who caries their chops most evenly from studio, to live, sorry if i have left out any bands. can't remember everyone.

These are the bands on my top of my head i thought of who caries their music best ffrom studio to live, who have similar live chops as studio chops.

also make a list from most proficient to least proficient band based on musicianship in this list of bands 

Hmm, I don't know. I couldn't vote on this one. A little too subjective for me. Although Mahavishnu Orchestra or Steve Hackett might have been a better choice than Toto.

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 03:38
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I was lucky enough to record an FM radio broadcast of a "Trick of the Tail" tour show with Mr B on drums.  It was Christmas evening 1976 and I had just gotten a Radio Shack 8 track recorder that morning as a present.  Unfortunately I never transferred the 8 track to cassette so the recording is long gone.  One of the odd things I remember about the set list is they actually played "White Mountain".  Years later I found a $50 2 CD bootleg from that tour but the sound quality was so awful I passed.

A funny thing about those 1st few post-Gabriel tours, they would either play Suppers Ready or Cinema Show but never both.  At the '78 show, Collins began the banter that always led to Suppers Ready but switched it up at the end and they played Cinema Show instead LOL

Wow, White Mountain is one of my absolute favorites of Genesis and of HUGE nostalgic value since it is the first song by them I ever liked, long before I actually got into the band properly. Then again, with Phil on vocals I'm not sure I even want to hear that live version as it may just be a major disappointment...
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 05:37

Is there anyone left on these forums remotely gauche enough to fall for an objective judgement of musicianship?

I know these threads are designed to provoke healthy debate but this is just plain vanilla sillyErmm

(Cranky old man, Brisbane)

Originally posted by dictionary.reference.com dictionary.reference.com wrote:

knowledge, skill, and artistic sensitivity in performing music.
Happy? Wink

As Noel Coward might have said 'ecstatically' - I don't need a definition of the term thanks, just how you would arrive at a method to quantify musicianship that does not rest upon the listener's own aesthetic judgement Approve

(If you're up for it, try quantifying anyone's happiness while yer at it)
How is it even possible to quantify a quality?  Aesthetic judgment is essential to assessing musicianship, no?

I think you finally got it i.e. our opinions are NOT demonstrable facts, ergo they cannot be used to measure such phenomena as 'musicianship' - it's good fun to choose but no-one is qualified to decide
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 12:05
Originally posted by Josef_K Josef_K wrote:

Wow, White Mountain is one of my absolute favorites of Genesis and of HUGE nostalgic value since it is the first song by them I ever liked, long before I actually got into the band properly. Then again, with Phil on vocals I'm not sure I even want to hear that live version as it may just be a major disappointment...

I hear you, I hate what Phil Collins and the band became dragging the Genesis name through the mud, but I think he was still cool in the "Trick..." and "Wuthering..." days...the problem started when he shaved.  No beard...Phil got weird LOL 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 21:37

Originally posted by Josef_K Josef_K wrote:

I hear you, I hate what Phil Collins and the band became dragging the Genesis name through the mud, but I think he was still cool in the "Trick..." and "Wuthering..." days...the problem started when he shaved.  <span style="line-height: 1.2;">No beard...Phil got weird </span>LOL<span style="line-height: 1.2;"> </span>

I actually like Phil Collins much better as a singer than Peter Gabriel. For me Collins is a very good singer, while I don't really like Gabriel at all, though I have learned to tolerate him.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 04:22
We know that a poll is about opinions, not an algebra exercise. Nothing wrong with that.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 12:02
I find it impossible to place the depth of KC's musicians, the multi instrumental virtuosity of GG, the flamboyance of ELP and the energy of Rush next to each other and attempt to judge which of these groups had the best musicians.  Ultimately, trying to opine on this is only going to reveal more about your preferences and biases than where the musicians actually stand in terms of ability.   So no vote, but my favourite musicians are those that made up Wetton-KC.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 13:07
Totos musicianship is found on 10 000 albums, if you count all the current and former main member of the band, i find that to be impressive not just as a fan of the band but as an objective view of what is impressive, that is impressive
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 19:48

Totos musicianship is found on 10 000 albums, if you count all the current and former main member of the band, i find that to be impressive not just as a fan of the band but as an objective view of what is impressive, that is impressive
Producer David Foster brought in Lukather & Paitch to help out on Chicago's '16' album - seriously, one of the better 80's mainstream albums I've heard.  The opening cut off the album is fantastic.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 19:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Producer David Foster brought in Lukather & Paitch to help out on Chicago's '16' album - seriously, one of the better 80's mainstream albums I've heard.  The opening cut off the album is fantastic.
If you really want to hear them sheck out Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees one of the ebst albums of the 70s, and Thriller by Michael Jackson,    Jeff Porcaro plays drums on the Pink Floyd song Mother.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 20:15

If you really want to hear them sheck out Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees one of the ebst albums of the 70s, and Thriller by Michael Jackson,    Jeff Porcaro plays drums on the Pink Floyd song Mother.
Jeff also played on Roger Waters 'Amused To Death' album - I think he played on the best song, 'It's A Miracle'.  Also David Gilmour's 'About Face' album. 
Oh yeah, the Toto video was cool to see - they are such precise musicians without a doubt, but not too proggy.  Gyorgy Porgy is a great track, but they didn't do 'Hold The Line'. 
Jefferson Starship were way cool around '79-'84. 
Boz Scaggs, eh ??  I don't mind what I've heard of him.
I never did get into M.J. although 'Thriller' is about the best thing he ever did.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 20:35

Jeff also played on Roger Waters 'Amused To Death' album - I think he played on the best song, 'It's A Miracle'.  Also David Gilmour's 'About Face' album. 
Oh yeah, the Toto video was cool to see - they are such precise musicians without a doubt, but not too proggy.  Gyorgy Porgy is a great track, but they didn't do 'Hold The Line'. 
Jefferson Starship were way cool around '79-'84. 
Boz Scaggs, eh ??  I don't mind what I've heard of him.
I never did get into M.J. although 'Thriller' is about the best thing he ever did.
this is Jeff, David Paich and David Hungate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s8l75Oxf1U
Mythical Mike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 19:53
I really like IQ's musicianship to choose one of the bands on the list.

I cannot believe that Camel is not on this list.

They would have got my vote.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 12:17
1. King Crimson
2. Gentle Giant
3. ELP
4. Dream Theater
5. Genesis
6. Rush
7. Yes