Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Rock Fame and Day Jobs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 15:07
Roger Powell - keyboardist for Todd Rundgren's Utopia - and member of David Bowie's 1978 touring band - had a few interesting day jobs as a computer programmer/synthesist.  Before joining Utopia in 1973 he wrote the "Patches and Tutorial" manual for the ARP Odyssey synth.  In the 80's he created one of the early advanced MIDI sequencer programs "Texture" for both the IBM PC and Amiga platforms.  Around 2007 he was working at Apple.  A few years later he left to work for game company Electronic Arts.  Don't know what he's up to today.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 18 2013 at 15:08
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

As far as Yngwie, you should try and catch reruns of his guest appearances on "That Metal Show".  They have to go wide angle lens just to capture his entire ego

I second that.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 20:54
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Colosseum's Dick Heckstall-Smith was at one point a taxi driver.

I read this really fast and I thought it said Colossal dick Heckstall....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 20:57

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Derek Shulman (Gentle Giant vocalist) works in the recording industry I think as an A&R man.  I was watching a metal documentary ("Metal Evolution") and he was interviewed about something, but during his time onscreen his title was given as "Record Executive" rather than what it should have been, "Vocalist for one of the Greatest Prog Bands of all Time" Wink

Yeah. Those Sam Dunn docs are really good. I've watched all ten parts.
I loved the interview with Yngwie Malmsteen. He is so arrogant! Had no idea. Lol

<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">I've seen them all too...they're very well done.  I was always bummed though that he never did one focusing on my favourite metal genre...Doom.  He could have started with Sabbath then worked his way through Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Type O Negative, early Opeth and wrapped it up with Cathedral and their 22 year career Bowdown</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">As far as Yngwie, you should try and catch reruns of his guest appearances on "That Metal Show".  They have to go wide angle lens just to capture his entire ego Wink</span>

Actually. Very good point cause I certainly would like to learn more about My Dying Bride. I've not explored them enough.
Only a couple of albums. :(
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 23:04

Actually. Very good point cause I certainly would like to learn more about My Dying Bride. I've not explored them enough.

I can tell you that my clear favourite is their 1st album, "As the Flower Withers"...it's an absolute early 90's doom metal masterpiece - though the 'doom growl vokills' will be offputting to anyone here who dislikes Mikael A's Opeth growl.  All their albums after that became less and less doom-metal and more goth-metal with clean vocals...still slow and sludgy but much less extreme.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 23:14

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

As far as Yngwie, you should try and catch reruns of his guest appearances on "That Metal Show".  They have to go wide angle lens just to capture his entire ego

I second that.

In a Spinal Tap interview after the release of "Break Like the Wind", they had this to say about Yngwie.

Nigel Tufnel: "I just heard Yngwie J Malmsteen the other day, I'm now using my guitar as a coffee table".

David St Hubbins: "Yngwie J Malmsteen...I like how he puts the 'J' in there.  That way you won't confuse him with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's out there".  Wink
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 00:12
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Former Triumvirat drummer/lyricist Hans Bathelt became a software designer, though i think that occurred after the band split.
Herb Schildt of Starcastle as well: "Herbert Schildt is an American musician, computing author and a Windows programmer. His books, particularly on C and Java programming, have been best-sellers in three decades."  I got one of his C programming books in the late 80s.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 01:37

David St Hubbins: "Yngwie J Malmsteen...I like how he puts the 'J' in there.  That way you won't confuse him with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's out there".

I remember that...and I love it!
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 02:27
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Derek Shulman (Gentle Giant vocalist) works in the recording industry I think as an A&R man.  I was watching a metal documentary ("Metal Evolution") and he was interviewed about something, but during his time onscreen his title was given as "Record Executive" rather than what it should have been, "Vocalist for one of the Greatest Prog Bands of all Time" Wink

He was president of Roadrunner records and signed both Nickelback and Pantera.

This may endear him greatly to my adopted son, but not to me.

Ouch, and I thought Phil Collins sold out... Ouch

Having a job, and earning a living is not selling out, its just a job.
He did the music he wanted to do, it was great !, now he is working within the industri, what is wrong with that.

Its not like he is John Lennon swimming in money, and could sign a sh*tload of gentle giant wannabee's
loosing a million a day.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 03:25
Originally posted by jaycoh56 jaycoh56 wrote:

VDGG, to my knowledge, were full time musicians

Hugh Banton has worked as an organ builder since he left VdGG in 1976.
josuu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 05:15

I can tell you that my clear favourite is their 1st album, "As the Flower Withers"...it's an absolute early 90's doom metal masterpiece - though the 'doom growl vokills' will be offputting to anyone here who dislikes Mikael A's Opeth growl.  All their albums after that became less and less doom-metal and more goth-metal with clean vocals...still slow and sludgy but much less extreme.

This has nothing to do with the subject on the thread, but I absolutely love My Dying Bride. Turn Loose the Swans & Angel and the Dark River are my favourites. The debut is still missing from my MDB discography so can't comment anything on that though.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 05:59
About the Gentle Giants:

Phil Shulman: After leaving the band in 1972, he returned to his daily job as a teacher. After that career was over he opened a gift shop in Portsmouth.
Ray Shulman: Used to be involved in music for commercials and produced a few very successful bands such as The Sugarcubes and The Sundays. Now he is the manager of Orinoco Sound Source which is a video game music production company
Kerry: Is writing music for television shows and giving music lessons. In recent years he is running a company named Alucard (after the band's title, which is Dracula in reverse). The company is taking care of the band's royalties and copyrights.
Gary: Is living near Chicago and was playing in several bands across the States, until he couldn't play no more.
But when I saw him in The Three Friends concert a few months ago he was simply superb!
John Weathers: He was a member of the band Man during the 90's, until he couldn't play no more, and he is living in Wales working in various jobs.
Martin Smith: The band's first drummer died in 1997 at the age of 50.
Malcolm Mortimore: was also fantastic in the Three Friends concert.

Ahhh...That's it I think...
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 08:29
Originally posted by Lebofsky Lebofsky wrote:

I am actively in MoeTar, miRthkon, *and* Secret Chiefs 3 (among other projects). I'm recording a lot and touring the world 3-4 months out of the year... But I still have (and need) my day job of 19+ years. Of course that day job is working on the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, so I'm not complaining.

I don't mind having to work to support my art. Being just a musician would be nightmare to me. I need to live an active life outside of music to inspire me to make more music. Otherwise it would just be music *about* music.

- Matt

hey Matt pretty cool to see you have a PA user :D .
I was just about to write how I saw an interview with Wally where he still has a day job. Also since when are you in SC3??? That's pretty furking awesome!! 
There be dragons
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 14:00
Isn't Ian Anderson a trout farmer, although I guess he can live of his music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 14:17

Good to know. I did read up on them at one point and remember someone saying that the harsher/doom metal style dissipates over the course of their career going forward. I'd definitely would like to here their first album. Is their music like GodSpeed...you black emperor ? Their pretty good a doom metal too :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 14:32

Good to know. I did read up on them at one point and remember someone saying that the harsher/doom metal style dissipates over the course of their career going forward. I'd definitely would like to here their first album. Is their music like GodSpeed...you black emperor ? Their pretty good a doom metal too :)

They definitely morphed over time into Type O Negative/November's Doom style goth metal.  They sound nothing like Godspeed.  If anything, the first album is much closer musically to early Cathedral, early Celtic Frost, and Candlemass.

This is my fave song off "As the Flower Withers" and is pretty much representative of the whole album...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 14:38
Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

He actually owns and operates "Strathaird" the largest independently owned smoked salmon farm in the UK and has over 400 employees Wink
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 15:03

Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

He actually owns and operates "Strathaird" the largest independently owned smoked salmon farm in the UK and has over 400 employees Wink

Too bad Chris "the Fish" Squire didn't come up with this great money making back up plan--wouldn't have to still be working so hard.LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 15:37

They definitely morphed over time into Type O Negative/November's Doom style goth metal.  They sound nothing like Godspeed.  If anything, the first album is much closer musically to early Cathedral, early Celtic Frost, and Candlemass.
This is my fave song off "As the Flower Withers" and is pretty much representative of the whole album...

Dark song my prog brother! I feel I like the strings in the first 3 minutes of the song. I also appreciate the dramatic twist in tempo around the 5:30 mark and the last 3min of the song where it goes completely ape sh*t! Very cool, but the vocals will take some getting used to just like I did for John Haughm's from AGALLOCH. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 17:28

Dark song my prog brother! I feel I like the strings in the first 3 minutes of the song. I also appreciate the dramatic twist in tempo around the 5:30 mark and the last 3min of the song where it goes completely ape sh*t! Very cool, but the vocals will take some getting used to just like I did for John Haughm's from AGALLOCH. ;)

Ya, this style of vocals are a make-or-break deal for many.  My 1st exposure was in the late 80's with Celtic Frost "To Mega Therion" and Sepultura "Beneath the Remains".  I was like, "What is THIS about???"  I loved the music but hated the "vokills"...as time went on I started to regard it as another instrument rather than a voice and began appreciating it.  Same deal with early Opeth & Enslaved...though both became much more interesting to me when they started mixing clean vocals with the growls.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 19 2013 at 17:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>