Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 19:13
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Dark song my prog brother! I feel I like the strings in the first 3 minutes of the song. I also appreciate the dramatic twist in tempo around the 5:30 mark and the last 3min of the song where it goes completely ape sh*t! Very cool, but the vocals will take some getting used to just like I did for John Haughm's from AGALLOCH. ;)

Ya, this style of vocals are a make-or-break deal for many.  My 1st exposure was in the late 80's with Celtic Frost "To Mega Therion" and Sepultura "Beneath the Remains".  I was like, "What is THIS about???"  I loved the music but hated the "vokills"...as time went on I started to regard it as another instrument rather than a voice and began appreciating it.  Same deal with early Opeth & Enslaved...though both became much more interesting to me when they started mixing clean vocals with the growls.
Opeth has had clean vocals since their first album...
I've gotten to appreciate (to some degree) most types of harsh vocals.  The ones I still don't care much for is the hardcore-style screaming (Between The Buried And Me).
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 21:42
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

When not on tour, Queen's Roger Taylor is a practicing dentist. Seriously.

Yoshihisa Shimizu, the leader of Kenso (Japan's foremost "symphonic fusion" band in the vein of Bruford and Brand X) is a dentist as well. Apparently he always plays live wearing his white dentist coat.

Brian May, PhD, is a member of the astrophysics faculty at the Imperial College of London. 

His academic website is very interesting!  

Dr. May always inspired me....I'm working to complete my own Doctor of Public Health degree at age 58!  

Rock on, Dr. May!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 23:34
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Ya, this style of vocals are a make-or-break deal for many.  My 1st exposure was in the late 80's with Celtic Frost "To Mega Therion" and Sepultura "Beneath the Remains".  I was like, "What is THIS about???"  I loved the music but hated the "vokills"...as time went on I started to regard it as another instrument rather than a voice and began appreciating it.  Same deal with early Opeth & Enslaved...though both became much more interesting to me when they started mixing clean vocals with the growls.
Opeth has had clean vocals since their first album...

You're right...for some reason I was thinking they didn't introduced the clean & growl mix until Deliverance Wacko
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 08:06
Originally posted by jaycoh56 jaycoh56 wrote:

VDGG, to my knowledge, were full time musicians

Peter Hammill has been able to support himself and his family of five (and is fairly well off) playing/recording music and has never done anything since VdGG started up in '68 except make albums and tour the world.

David Jackson is a proponent of the "soundbeam" and conducts several workshops and public performances throughout the year, working mainly with the disabled. http://youtu.be/-jn-fz7dxHE
He also has been playing with a number of people lately (David Cross of King Crimson, Le Orme, John Hackett, etc)

Hugh Banton owns his own business, "The Organ Workshop," and has had it for decades. After leaving VdGG at the very end of '76, he went to work for an organ builder for a few years, and eventually started his own company. Very successfully, too. The Organ Workshop designs, builds, and installs organs for halls, auditoriums, and churches. http://www.organworkshop.co.uk/ Not a stretch for Hugh (an electronics wiz), as he was tearing the guts out of Hammonds as far back as '71 and putting his own stuff in there. By '76, he'd designed from scratch his own organ and was using it at VdGG concerts by the end of the year.

Guy Evans teaches music technology at a college in London. He also was doing projects with groups like Echo City, which included creating percussive (and other) instruments which could be played by disabled people.

There was a bestselling fiction author I was interviewing (either Ian Rankin or Michel Faber... one of those NY Times Bestseller types...) that commented on how cool it was that when the VdGG members left the band, they all at least went on to do really interesting, worthwhile things.

jc
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 14:26

Haha .... funny!

So my dentist here in Vancouver, named Keith Collins, is a bass player and has been for the 30 years I have known him (I turned him on to off the wall music!), and he has even taken lessons from one of the best ... can't even remember his name right now -- he plays for the group Oregon and does private lessons around here in Portland!

Keith plays a lot with some names around here, like Tom Grant and such.

So one day he is carving out a tooth and it was hurting ... and I stopped him, and told him ... "Keith, that's not a bass drum!" ... and I have not felt a single twinge since then! Talk music and he hears.

He went to Brazil a couple of years ago ... I gave him a poop load of Egberto Gismonti, and Airto and Milton Nascimiento, and it took him 20 years to go try something else ... he loved it ... but he doesn't see the connection to my giving him music ... that's ok. No worries there. I'm probably buying the nice 5 string he has. I can remember 15 years ago when he said something like ... I'm scared to even touch one of those 5 string basses!

Look him up. He is very tidy, carefull and you can tell he does his homework. Should be a very good and steady bass player! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 15:15
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Yoshihisa Shimizu, the leader of Kenso (Japan's foremost "symphonic fusion" band in the vein of Bruford and Brand X) is a dentist as well. Apparently he always plays live wearing his white dentist coat.

Brian May, PhD, is a member of the astrophysics faculty at the Imperial College of London. 
His academic website is very interesting!  
Dr. May always inspired me....I'm working to complete my own Doctor of Public Health degree at age 58!  
Rock on, Dr. May!
hey, Chuck, that is interesting news on what you are completing, and knowing you, you will succeed! Best to you.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 15:39
I heard Spock's Beard guy works at Cirque du Soleil, doesn't he?

I've released three vinyls with my band, Stoned Jesus, played some festivals w/ Causa Sui, Orange Goblin, Uncle Acid, Naam, Long Distance Calling, Black Label Society and Enslaved, to name a few, and we're going on the fourth European tour this September, for almost two weeks. Still a customer support manager in a small IT company

On MY DYING BRIDE: check 2001 and 2004 releases, they are awesome, and even 2012 is pretty good, too
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 20:38

Dark song my prog brother! I feel I like the strings in the first 3 minutes of the song. I also appreciate the dramatic twist in tempo around the 5:30 mark and the last 3min of the song where it goes completely ape sh*t! Very cool, but the vocals will take some getting used to just like I did for John Haughm's from AGALLOCH. ;)

Vokills.... well said. Also, Beneath The Remains is an absolutely fantastic album. Have you ever checked out Max Cavalera's SOULFY project? Now that is South American metal at its best. They have 8 albums to their credit. ;)
I recommend 'The Dark Ages' album. It's their most complete release to date. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 22:58

Vokills.... well said. Also, Beneath The Remains is an absolutely fantastic album. Have you ever checked out Max Cavalera's SOULFY project? Now that is South American metal at its best. They have 8 albums to their credit. ;)
I recommend 'The Dark Ages' album. It's their most complete release to date. :)

I have the 1st Soulfly album and love that song where Max sings, "No &^%$#@#$$ Hootie and the Blowfish"...

I love "Beneath the Remains" and think the next one "Arise" is even better...In the early 90's I had a Mazda Miata and I put a huge Sepultura label across the top of my front windscreen...I used to call it "The Death Metal Mobile" Headbanger
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 06:31
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Triumvirat's Helmut Koellen was also an auto mechanic and race car driver. (I am not sure to what extent, though, he was involved in these things while a musician in Triumvirat)

I did search on Koellens racing and can only assume that he was either participating under a pseudonym or that he was only at an amateur level.

I know that David Jackson was a maths teacher after VdGG broke up in the late 70's. These days, there are very few professional musicians involved in prog and those that are tend to have to work very hard at the business side of things to keep going (like Nick Barrett of Pendragon).
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 07:26
Flower Kings vocalist Hasse Froberg is a baggage handler at the airport (Stockholm I think) as his day job.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 07:29
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Triumvirat's Helmut Koellen was also an auto mechanic and race car driver. (I am not sure to what extent, though, he was involved in these things while a musician in Triumvirat)
I did search on Koellens racing and can only assume that he was either participating under a pseudonym or that he was only at an amateur level.I know that David Jackson was a maths teacher after VdGG broke up in the late 70's. These days, there are very few professional musicians involved in prog and those that are tend to have to work very hard at the business side of things to keep going (like Nick Barrett of Pendragon).

Cool. So what does Nick Barrett do exactly? This is interesting. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 13:30

Geoff Downes played in a John-Payne-fronted ASIA  
during the  Post-Grunge-infested  late 1990s.  

Maybe that didn't technically qualify as a "day job"
... but it sure wasn't glamorous.  Ermm

terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 15:02

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Flower Kings vocalist Hasse Froberg is a baggage handler at the airport (Stockholm I think) as his day job.

that's cool! If one goes to see Flower Kings live in Sweden, then he/she can hang around in the airport to get an early autograph of Hasse Froberg himself!!!!

Not sure if my favorite progger Phideaux does TV movie directing or makes music for a day job.

And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 15:15

I did search on Koellens racing and can only assume that he was either participating under a pseudonym or that he was only at an amateur level.I know that David Jackson was a maths teacher after VdGG broke up in the late 70's. These days, there are very few professional musicians involved in prog and those that are tend to have to work very hard at the business side of things to keep going (like Nick Barrett of Pendragon).

Cool. So what does Nick Barrett do exactly? This is interesting. :)

Couldn't tell you what the day to day running of Toff Records and Pendragon entails I'm afraid, might be worth PM'ing Wilcey to find out, as she's Nicks partner and very much helps out in that respect.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 16:42

Thanks a lot for checking about Helmut. People that would probably know all about that are Jurgen Fritz, and Helmut's sister Elke Schlimbach-Koenig, and i have contacted both of them in the past, with no result. Oh, well.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 11:01
Surprisingly enough, not many musicians make a lifetime living out of music. Even successful musicians run out of steam and money after a while, bands like Ten Years After, ELP, Yes, became quite well off individually for a while, but you need to sustain a successful and popular career to keep up the mansion and cars. Apparently even David Bowie never made a profile until recently.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 11:01
Sorry, I meant of course "never made a profit"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 11:10
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Yes.  Supposedly, Nick D'Virglio quit as vocalist/drummer for Spock's Beard so he could concentrate on his day job as a musician with Cirque du Soleil.  That I have seen his name pop up in a number of recent releases with other bands makes me wonder if there is more to the story. 
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 21:26
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

I've released three vinyls with my band, Stoned Jesus, played some festivals w/ Causa Sui, Orange Goblin, Uncle Acid, Naam, Long Distance Calling, Black Label Society and Enslaved, to name a few, and we're going on the fourth European tour this September, for almost two weeks. Still a customer support manager in a small IT company

On MY DYING BRIDE: check 2001 and 2004 releases, they are awesome, and even 2012 is pretty good, too

Wow, you're in Stoned Jesus? Shocked Love your band! My brother played me some of your stuff! I will download your album off Itunes. Smile
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>