Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNightwish (Tarja, Annette, or Floor)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nightwish (Tarja, Annette, or Floor)
    Posted: July 20 2013 at 19:56
I was introduced to Nightwish a couple of years ago just about the time Tarja left the band.  Since then I have been lucky enough to see them live three times. twice with Annette and once with current singer Floor Janzen.

While I usually don't like line-up changes in bands I do prefer Floor Janzen over Annette, although I had no problem with Annette's singing.  I just think Floor has a greater command of the stage and has more power ot her voice.

For those that have seen the band when Tarja was present, what do you think about the current singer?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 14:25
I have only seen Nightwish once with Anette. I actually had my tickets to see them with Floor and was very excited about it, but ran into some unavoidable problems which wouldn't allow me to assist. However, from the albums and the clips I heard with Floor (and the concert I assisted), I certainly found Anette the weakest singer... she isn't bad, she just isn't Tarja (nor Floor, for that matter). Of course, Traja was excellent, and it's too bad that the band couldn't keep the harmony with her. And Floor, well, I really hope the band can continue to work with her and make a new album. That said, so far my very favourite Nightwish album is the last one, Imaginaerum, despite the fact it was made with Anette on vocals (and that's a reason I was so excited about the concert with Floor, in order to listen to songs from that album with a much better singer). Now, I really hope they at least end up releasing a DVD/CD from this last tour with Floor.

Oh yeah, and about which singer I may like better between Tarja and Floor, I'm not really sure, they are both impressive, but Tarja is THE Nighwish singer, and that will hardly change (just as Jon Anderson is THE singer on Yes, despite the fact he isn't currently involved with the band). I used to find Floors voice sometimes a bit irritating with After Forever, but from the video's I heard on Youtube of Nightwish with her she was just perfect, and I believe she is a more verstile singer than Tarja, being able to sing operatic and non-operatic vocals perfectly.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 17:59
I have not seen them with Floor, but am excited that they've replaced Annette with her.  I never liked Annette, and it never made any sense to me for them to replace an operatic soprano with a rocky (nasally, in my opinion) alto.  Floor seems more their speed, so I am excited to hear what they'll sound like with her.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 18:39
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I have not seen them with Floor, but am excited that they've replaced Annette with her.  I never liked Annette, and it never made any sense to me for them to replace an operatic soprano with a rocky (nasally, in my opinion) alto.  Floor seems more their speed, so I am excited to hear what they'll sound like with her.

Anette would seem like Minnie Mouse on the microphone... sometimes on helium.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 00:49
My boss is a big Nightwish fan and seen them live several times. Apparently it just wasn't working with the middle vocalist and the difference with Floor is massive. He played me a video or two off you tube and he's right of course.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 02:11

I don't know Nightwish, I only know them from here at P.A. - today, a woman came in to my work wearing an 'Imaginaerium' (?) tour tee-shirt.  I though that was unusual.

zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 03:02
I've seen the band live with Floor - and she's fantastic. I've seen live videos with Annette and I think Floor is a much more powerful and engaging singer.
josuu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 16:06
I saw Nightwish live with Floor about a month ago and she was just amazing on stage. She can vary with different styles a lot more than Tarja could. I really hope they keep Floor. I love the Tarja era records, but as a classical singer she's just decent rather than good in my opinion. But of course that is a matter of taste.
 Post Reply Post Reply