Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [51.85%]
13 [48.15%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 04:55
Martin Turner .... as above re "Vas Dis" from Pilgrimage, "Sometime World" from Argus and "FUBB" from There's the Rub.

Can't get a much better bassist than Martin Turner......also an underrated composer and singer as well.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 01:42
I must admit I voted for Cetera only because I like Chicago a lot more than Wishbone Ash.

Another contender for a poll like this might be the 'mighty' Demis Rousos who played bass on Aphrodites Child' seventies masterpeice 666
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 02:16
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I must admit I voted for Cetera only because I like Chicago a lot more than Wishbone Ash.

Another contender for a poll like this might be the 'mighty' Demis Rousos who played bass on Aphrodites Child' seventies masterpeice 666
Yes, that was quite a surprise to learn Roussos was a bassist in a psychedelic band - years ago I used to have 2 Aphrodites Child albums (666 & some other with a colourful cover with a b&w photo of the band ??) - they did nothing for me at all..............Cetera is still more accomplished LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 21:41
Cetera - 9 votes, Turner - 8 votes.
Interesting results.  I expected Turner's count to soar........
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 22:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Here are 2 bass players from 2 great bands, often over-looked here as they are only marginally Progressive.  Just wondering what the 'masses' think of their bass playing skills ??

Pete Cetera absolutely gets my vote, apart from being one of Rock music's best vocalists. I already mentioned in another related thread, their album Chicago V as one of my favorites.
The gem song in this particular album is the track "Goodbye." Cetera does some his best playing on this track, and also sings lead.

Clap
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 00:18
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Here are 2 bass players from 2 great bands, often over-looked here as they are only marginally Progressive.  Just wondering what the 'masses' think of their bass playing skills ??

Pete Cetera absolutely gets my vote, apart from being one of Rock music's best vocalists. I already mentioned in another related thread, their album Chicago V as one of my favorites.
The gem song in this particular album is the track "Goodbye." Cetera does some his best playing on this track, and also sings lead.

Clap
Rando Handshake
'Goodbye' does display killer bass chops - some of Pete's bass playing on VII whips it for me, though.  Still, the fifth album is superb.  And P.C. does have a fine voice Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 05:29
Finally got around to watching a live-clip of 'Vas Dis' - with Turner playing a Rickenbacker - *amazing* song, superb bass playing - not sure if Cetera could pull that sort of bass-line off.........
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 23:45
Just re-visiting this old thread to say that Mart's playing on the Wishbone debut is outstanding - especially the wonderful track 'Handy'.
There's The Rub also has some wicked playing from the man.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 03:14
Martin Turner for his work on Sometime World. Both are great players so it needs to be something exceptional and Sometime World is just that. Exceptional number on an exceptional album - yet over looked on the BBC Sessions (CD with the reissue).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 00:59
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Martin Turner for his work on Sometime World. Both are great players so it needs to be something exceptional and Sometime World is just that. Exceptional number on an exceptional album - yet over looked on the BBC Sessions (CD with the reissue).
Of couse I'm going to respond to this comment .... Sometime World holds a remarkable bass workout - Mart has done better, but the bass constructions here work perfectly in this piece (and somewhat tricky to play)
Undeniably, Argus is a fine album, though I'm totally won-over with the absolutely glistening debut.
I love being bowled over by a band I had initially thought had no Prog credentials. I almost left after seeing Nektar's gig at BB kings in NYC last year. Mart's band were on after, and I decided to stick around to see what all the fuss was about WA. I am ever so glad I did................
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 01:20
Martin's playing is more "progressive..."  He uses Rotosound strings & a plectrum, like Squire, Lake etc. so he gets that very fast, piano-like tone.  Very much a lead-bass player....check his playing out at 2:48 of this clip. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 01:25
Turner.

Cetera has long since hung up his basses, and when he was playing it (and playing it well), that was way, way, way back when, in an era a long time ago...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 01:40
^ Bloody shame - waste of considerable bass-chops for Pete. Mart is still on top of his game.
At least what Pete did 'way, way, way back' is memorable and impressive for sure. Both guys are leaders in their respective directions. Dearly love both of their work.
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 08:27
Pete for me. And how about Ian Ellis (Clouds/Steve Hackett etc etc)? 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 00:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Martin's playing is more "progressive..."  He uses Rotosound strings & a plectrum, like Squire, Lake etc. so he gets that very fast, piano-like tone.  Very much a lead-bass player....check his playing out at 2:48 of this clip. 

Pete also used a plectrum and various basses, his fave being his Fender-P's. He had some nice wood-grained number in the late-70's but don't know what make it is. The song Hanky Panky (from VII) has some impressive playing.
Mart's bass in Sometime World is killer, but he also had many other highlights. These guys are no Squire or Lee, but they didn't need to be, what they both do is weave pure magic into the songs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12