Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSci Fi TV science or fiction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 10:17
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

As you surely know there are solutions to the General Relativity equations that warp spacetime enough so as to permit time travel and closed time loop worldlines. This does not in any way mean that anything like this will eventually be ever possible in practice, but it is legitimate to say that the fact that such solutions exist mathematically means that they do not violate the theory as it is currently understood. This is the sense of his Class II stuff.

Class I is still certainly speculative, but more clearly allowed by the current laws of physics in theory (again not meaning they may ever be achieved in practice).
Except that it does not permit "travel" as we know and accept it (i.e. the transference of matter from one place to another unaltered and unaffected) - we can make a camel pass through the eye of a needle if we so desire, all it takes is a huge liquidiser and a hypodermic syringe, reconstituting the camel on the other side is a tad more complicated - and that is the essential problem with any travel that warps space or time ... what arrives the other end would bear little semblence to what departed from the jump-point... this we can predict, for example in crossing the event horizon of a black hole where matter (and thus distance) is compressed but time is stretched.
Again, the definition of his 3 classes is not whether they may ever be achievable in practice or not, just whether they violate currently know laws of physics or not, regardless of the technological or practical challenges involved. I'm not defending that any of these technologies will ever be realised, I just pointed Finnforest to an interesting book if he is interested in this kind of stuff, don't shoot at me for that.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 10:24
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Just as an appetizer, the fundamental principles of 'quantum teleportation' have been experimentally confirmed up to a distance of 143 Km with photons and 21 meters for single atom states. Again, at the moment this has little if nothing to do with teleporting macroscopic objects as in Star Trek, but it just shows that the theoretical principles for some sort of teleportation are scientifically sound.

Well the problem here isn't even macro vs micro. It's a fundamentally different thing. Nothing physical (erm material maybe a better word) is being transported.
Of course not, only information is being transported. What's the problem about that? I already said that this has little if anything to do with teletransporting macroscopic objects as in sci-fi books or movies, only that the possibility of teletransporting information has been experimentally confirmed, and in the view of some (take highly respected physicist John Wheeler) our universe is little more than information. The known laws of physics allow for teletransportation of information, that's all I meant. I also said clearly 'there's a catch on this one, being what is meant by 'teleportation' in the quantum sense'. I don't know what I can be accused about.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 10:33
A quote is not an accusation. I merely meant to clarify things for others, and possible you, since I have little idea of your involvement with the field.

People see these big weird science headlines, get sensationalist, and begin to extrapolate very scientific terms to colloquial ones which they resemble. I'm pointing out that QT has nothing to do with teleportation as we usually think of it, and this discovery gives no credence to regular teleportation as a possibility.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 10:47
I know you're a mathematician and (educational diploma level speaking) I'm just a mechanic, so I'm pretty sure that my scientific knowledge is much lower than yours but I have been fond of science for a long time and my family has some scientific tradition, and I think I can tell the difference between popular sensationalist headlines and true scientific stuff. Quantum teleportation may not be what many layman think when they hear the word 'teleportation' but it's not any less a fully respectable scientific field.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 13:10

Again, the definition of his 3 classes is not whether they may ever be achievable in practice or not, just whether they violate currently know laws of physics or not, regardless of the technological or practical challenges involved. I'm not defending that any of these technologies will ever be realised, I just pointed Finnforest to an interesting book if he is interested in this kind of stuff, don't shoot at me for that.
The phenomena being described have nothing to do with the fictional functions that they are being assigned to. They are different phenomena that share common names that's all. The theoretical phenomena described do not violate the laws of physics, the fictional ones do. It is not a question of whether they will ever be practically realised because it simply does not apply.... for example: a balloon, a helicopter and a communications satellite can all defy gravity and remain floating over a fixed point on Earth, they all employ different phenomena to achieve that, none of which implies anti-gravity, so when theoretical science says that (some form of) telepathy is sort of possible (ie quantum entanglement or some vastly complex form of MRI scanning and post-processing) they are not describing the telepahty of science fiction (or even the equally fictional paranormal phenomenon).
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 13:26

The phenomena being described have nothing to do with the fictional functions that they are being assigned to. They are different phenomena that share common names that's all. The theoretical phenomena described do not violate the laws of physics, the fictional ones do.
How can you say so? some fictional uses of a theoretical concept may, some others may not. What fictional scenarios make out of it does not undermine the underlying scientific theoretical validity of the concept.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 14:02

I'm not much into sci-fi, I was a bit as a kid but didn't follow it up much. Not sure about the precise type of warp drive meant in Star Treck, but when a sci-fi space ship travels at superluminal speed it is often supposed to be doing it via wormholes (which we may call hyperspace). A path through hyperspace does not cross regular space so it would not encounter any objects across. There are theoretical ways which supposedly might create a wormhole although the practical obstacles are beyond our current imagination.

The most scientifically 'realistic' kind of superluminal travel seems to be the Alcubierre drive, which compresses the space(time) in front and expands the space(time) behind

travelling with this technology your ship would in principle hit any crossing objects. However the density of matter in space is so extremely low that I doubt that this would be really a significant problem. Consider that in most cases, if two galaxies 'collide', they actually pass through each other with the chance of any actual head to head collisions between their stars being really really small. What does happen is that their gravitational interaction will disrupt their structure and some stars may 'switch' galaxy, or if the 'collision' speed is low the two may merge into a new single galaxy, but actual collisions between bodies are highly unlikely (some body may fall into gravitational attraction to other bigger one and start a spinning orbit which eventually after long time may cause it to fall completely towards the attractor bigger body, but this will be a very slow process. Actual collisions are highly unlikely). And this is through galaxies. The intergalactic space is really so empty that the chances of hitting anything bigger than an hydrogen or helium atom are insignificant.
A warp drive does what it says on the tin - it warps space, it is not using wormholes, which (incidentally) we may not call hyperspace. If you include folded space, (which is not the same as warped space), then they represent the four basic fictional methodologies seeking to overcome the vast distances in space and the problems associated with crossing them. None of these rely on any theoretical science to say that the method is practical or even possible or whether any real-space matter could survive the journey at all (which in all of them is highly unlikely).

[there is a fifth method that relies on a substance such as antimatter, (or counter-terrestrial matter or negative matter, as it was known before the 1920s), to affect time and space, though now-a-days that usually used to facilitate one of the other four, erm... much like the Alcubierre drive (which is as much SF as any other), which relies on the hypothetical concept of negative mass].

Since warping, folding and wormholes are not hyperspace, they would occur in natural space, with all the matter present between the two points being traversed still present in the warp, fold or hole, it is just the distance between them that is compressed (or the time taken to travel that distance is compressed, depending on how you look at it).

The collision of two galaxies will result in some physical damage to both systems - stars (and other celestial objects) will die in the process, the speed at which this occurs is immaterial, it will occur and the stars involved will be unable to avoid it. Also, current thinking is that the space between galaxies is far from empty, it's just that we don't know what it is filled with (dark energy being a strong contender). As is frequently pointed out on this forum by Friede, solid objects are far from solid with the distances between subatomic particles being far greater than their physical size, yet solid objects cannot pass through each other unscathed.

Warp speed (keeping this in the Star Trek universe for a moment) is significantly faster than the speed of light (for example Warp-5 is approximately 214 times the speed of light) so the energy release in colliding with an atom of hydrogen at that velocity is measurable (energy = atomic weight/Avogadro constant * velocity squared), in fact at warp 5 it has 45,688 times more energy than at light speed. Sure a single atom of hydrogen is still not going to cause any noticeable damage to a star ship, but a cloud of many hydrogen atoms will and space is far from empty - remember that stars are formed from within dust clouds where hydrogen is the most abundant element and if we take the mass of our insignificant little star as an example, the mass of hydrogen involved is (erm) astronomical. Also if every star system has an equivalent of a Kuiper belt and/or an Oort cloud (and given how stars are formed there is no reason to assume otherwise) then the space between stars is a minefield of debris significantly larger than a single hydrogen atom and much denser than a cloud of hydrogen atoms; couple that with the simplest observation that if you are warping or folding space then you are reducing the distance between every object within that space which in turn increases the density of space considerably, then the chances of hitting something are incredibly low to the point of being inevitable.

Edited by Dean - July 24 2013 at 14:04
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 14:13

The phenomena being described have nothing to do with the fictional functions that they are being assigned to. They are different phenomena that share common names that's all. The theoretical phenomena described do not violate the laws of physics, the fictional ones do.
How can you say so? some fictional uses of a theoretical concept may, some others may not. What fictional scenarios make out of it does not undermine the underlying scientific theoretical validity of the concept.
Simply because the fictional cases involve volumes of matter whereas the theoretical concepts do not.  This is not a trivial linear multiplication because once mass is involved energy is also involved, then we are in the realms of thermodynamics and perpetual motion hacks (to paraphrase Pat).
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 15:00

A warp drive does what it says on the tin - it warps space, it is not using wormholes, which (incidentally) we may not call hyperspace.  (...)
Since warping, folding and wormholes are not hyperspace, they would occur in natural space, with all the matter present between the two points being traversed still present in the warp, fold or hole, it is just the distance between them that is compressed (or the time taken to travel that distance is compressed, depending on how you look at it).
Could you please elaborate about the wormhole case? IMHO wormholes do not go through 3-D space so they may be legitimately referred to as hyperspace.

The collision of two galaxies will result in some physical damage to both systems - stars (and other celestial objects) will die in the process, the speed at which this occurs is immaterial, it will occur and the stars involved will be unable to avoid it. 
It is not immaterial in the subject of the present discussion, but with the gravitational effects it is entirely likely that an artificially powered spaceship could cross through 'colliding' galaxies without its path being significantly affected, regardless if the dynamics of the stars in those two galaxies were changing because of the 'collision'.

Also, current thinking is that the space between galaxies is far from empty, it's just that we don't know what it is filled with (dark energy being a strong contender). 
Agreed, but as far as we now know there's no reason to believe that it would impact the way known matter and spacetime interact (i.e. impact on space travel physics).

Warp speed (keeping this in the Star Trek universe for a moment) is significantly faster than the speed of light (for example Warp-5 is approximately 214 times the speed of light) so the energy release in colliding with an atom of hydrogen at that velocity is measurable (energy = atomic weight/Avogadro constant * velocity squared), in fact at warp 5 it has 45,688 times more energy than at light speed. Sure a single atom of hydrogen is still not going to cause any noticeable damage to a star ship, but a cloud of many hydrogen atoms will and space is far from empty - remember that stars are formed from within dust clouds where hydrogen is the most abundant element and if we take the mass of our insignificant little star as an example, the mass of hydrogen involved is (erm) astronomical. Also if every star system has an equivalent of a Kuiper belt and/or an Oort cloud (and given how stars are formed there is no reason to assume otherwise) then the space between stars is a minefield of debris significantly larger than a single hydrogen atom and much denser than a cloud of hydrogen atoms; couple that with the simplest observation that if you are warping or folding space then you are reducing the distance between every object within that space which in turn increases the density of space considerably, then the chances of hitting something are incredibly low to the point of being inevitable.

I assume that space travelers would slow down before getting into an area where matter density starts to be a concern.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 15:49

Could you please elaborate about the wormhole case? IMHO wormholes do not go through 3-D space so they may be legitimately referred to as hyperspace.

I'm not Dean, but I like talking about this stuff and I'm in heavy procrastination mode right now.

A worm hole conceptually really isn't very exotic. It's the formation and stabilization of them that gets really tricky. Just image you have a piece of paper and you fold it in half. To travel along the surface of the paper from one end to the other would take awhile, but if you could cut a circle in the folded paper, you could get to the otherside very quickly by just passing through the hole to pop out on the other side of the paper. That's a wormhole. It's a tunnel that uses the curvature of space as a shortcut. The tunnel and travel through it is nothing special really.

EDIT: I guess I'm lying a little bit here but the main point stands.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - July 24 2013 at 15:57
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 16:00

I'm not Dean, but I like talking about this stuff and I'm in heavy procrastination mode right now.

A worm hole conceptually really isn't very exotic. It's the formation and stabilization of them that gets really tricky. Just image you have a piece of paper and you fold it in half. To travel along the surface of the paper from one end to the other would take awhile, but if you could cut a circle in the folded paper, you could get to the otherside very quickly by just passing through the hole to pop out on the other side of the paper. That's a wormhole. It's a tunnel that uses the curvature of space as a shortcut. The tunnel and travel through it is nothing special really.
Thanks but you didn't say anything I didn't know or which contributed to the discussion (although it may certainly have been useful for others, not saying you shouldn't have posted at all).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 16:02
I was explaining how they go through 4d spacetime which is the exact question you asked.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 16:19

I was explaining how they go through 4d spacetime which is the exact question you asked.
You're welcome, I hope I can understand that you agree with me in that a path through 'hyperspace' between event A and event B, through a wormhole, 4-D or whatever you want to call it, would not hit any material object lying in the actual 3-D space between A and B.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 18:01
No. I do not. It would not hit anything in the non-worm hole path obviously, but if you have a stable wormhole then there could certainly be mass within it.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 18:52

No. I do not. It would not hit anything in the non-worm hole path obviously, but if you have a stable wormhole then there could certainly be mass within it.
Mmmmm, not so sure about it, a wormhole is by definition a tear in our spacetime, connecting two space-time events directly even if they are not in a relativistic causally connected timeline cone.
Why should there be any mass in that path? The fact that hypothetically we (ordinary matter) could travel through that wormhole does not (at all) necessarily mean that ordinary matter would be lying there in the path.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 19:14
Tear's probably a bad word, but that's minor. One clarification, any two points connected by a wormhole are in the same light cone. If you're using a wormhole, you've kept it stable and so any matter is free to enter it. You wouldn't be traveling through the wormhole at anything except ordinary speeds though so it wouldn't be an issue really.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 19:23

A warp drive does what it says on the tin - it warps space, it is not using wormholes, which (incidentally) we may not call hyperspace.  (...)
Hyperspace (that makes FTL travel possble in fiction) does not actually exist. In SF hyperspace travel you enter into another dimention (through a portal) and then travel through that dimension (which has different time-space geometries to our dimension ... one of which is hopefully shorter than ours) at normal (subluminal) speeds and exit via another portal back into our dimension. In doing that the distance travelled (or time spent) in one dimension (hyperspace) is different (and hopefully shorter or the whole endeavour is pointless). This is the method of FTL travel we see in TV SF such as Stargate and Babylon 5. It is not a wormhole, nor is it warped or folded space.

Wormholes are not conduits into (and out of) the so called hyperspace of superstring theory and other multi-dimensional theories, but are bridges over the time-space dimension we occupy (or tunnels through it), the space within the wormhole is of the same dimension you are travelling to and from and will contain matter... in travelling through a wormhole you do not leave our 3D dimension just as in travelling through the Channel Tunnel you do not leave Earth.

(it's a 4D topology projected into a 3D universe that is difficult to visualise because we are used to thinking in 3D space).

The collision of two galaxies will result in some physical damage to both systems - stars (and other celestial objects) will die in the process, the speed at which this occurs is immaterial, it will occur and the stars involved will be unable to avoid it. 
It is not immaterial in the subject of the present discussion, but with the gravitational effects it is entirely likely that an artificially powered spaceship could cross through 'colliding' galaxies without its path being significantly affected, regardless if the dynamics of the stars in those two galaxies were changing because of the 'collision'.
What? The point you were making was that two glaxies could "collide" without any celestial body within them ever phsycially colliding, not that an artificially powered spaceship could cross through such an event at low speeds. Of course a spaceship could manoeuver around any object if its velocity was sufficiently slow enough and its scanners sufficiently sensitive, just as an ocean supertanker can navigate through busy shipping channels today (bearing in mind that a supertanker travelling at full speed requires three kilometers to stop) but when galaxies collide  stars cannot brake or take avoiding action.

Also, current thinking is that the space between galaxies is far from empty, it's just that we don't know what it is filled with (dark energy being a strong contender). 
Agreed, but as far as we now know there's no reason to believe that it would impact the way known matter and spacetime interact (i.e. impact on space travel physics).
Irrelevant. You said intergalactic space is empty. It is not. If it is dark matter or dark energy we do know that it would impact on spacetime (and thusly matter and space travel physics) because that's why we have predicted that it exists. It does not necessarily have to be entirely exotic dark matter or dark energy, it can be ordinary everyday common or garden lumps of matter such as a dead star, an ejected planet or asteroid, comets - the only celestial objects we can see are those that emit light and those local objects that reflect light, in the space between star systems and galaxies we cannot see those reflective (and non-reflective) objects.

However faster than light speeds are still not fast enough for intergalactic travel. At warp 5 it would take 468 years to cross our galaxy and 11,696 years to travel to Andromeda, when you consider travelling at 230,687,051,735 km/h for 11,696 years it is a fair bet that you are going to hit something.

I assume that space travelers would slow down before getting into an area where matter density starts to be a concern.
How do they see where those areas of concern would be in order to slow down? (this is not a trivial question).

What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 19:28

any two points connected by a wormhole are in the same light cone. 
Question Confused a wormhole definition is precisely that which connects spacetime events which lie in different light cones.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 19:37
By definition, if you're getting to point B from point A they lie in the same lightcone.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 20:20

Wormholes are not conduits into (and out of) the so called hyperspace of superstring theory and other multi-dimensional theories, but are bridges over the time-space dimension we occupy (or tunnels through it), the space within the wormhole is of the same dimension you are travelling to and from and will contain matter... in travelling through a wormhole you do not leave our 3D dimension just as in travelling through the Channel Tunnel you do not leave Earth.

(it's a 4D topology projected into a 3D universe that is difficult to visualise because we are used to thinking in 3D space).
Sorry but I don't agree, in the traditional scientific sense, wormholes 'make a short cut' through the normal 3-spatial dimensions, it's quite different from just a 'faster than light straight line travel'. You will find no matter through the wormhole (unless you think that because you travel through the wormhole, you may find others traveling through it at the same time).

What? The point you were making was that two glaxies could "collide" without any celestial body within them ever phsycially colliding, not that an artificially powered spaceship could cross through such an event at low speeds. Of course a spaceship could manoeuver around any object if its velocity was sufficiently slow enough and its scanners sufficiently sensitive, just as an ocean supertanker can navigate through busy shipping channels today (bearing in mind that a supertanker travelling at full speed requires three kilometers to stop) but when galaxies collide  stars cannot brake or take avoiding action.
I maintain, when two galaxies 'collide', the chance of any actual body to body collisions is extremely small. 

You said intergalactic space is empty. It is not. If it is dark matter or dark energy we do know that it would impact on spacetime (and thusly matter and space travel physics) because that's why we have predicted that it exists. It does not necessarily have to be entirely exotic dark matter or dark energy, it can be ordinary everyday common or garden lumps of matter such as a dead star, an ejected planet or asteroid, comets - the only celestial objects we can see are those that emit light and those local objects that reflect light, in the space between star systems and galaxies we cannot see those reflective (and non-reflective) objects.
It is clear that dark matter can't be 'invisible, non-light-radiating normal matter', that possibility was outruled long ago.
At any rate, for what we now know, there is nothing bigger than an helium atom which could likely get in the way of any intergalactic ship in normal circumstances (unless the extremely improbable fact of hitting a bigger solid body). Dark matter seems to exist, but on the scale of conceivable space travel it is probably neglectable. We have launched the Voyager probes to the edge of the Solar system and without any corrections for dark matter they are still behaving as we think they should. Dark matter has only influence on very large structures, most probably our first space travels would be within regions not affected at all by dark matter anyway?

Mmmm... not sure how to answer to that scientifically, but by all I have read I believe that space is emptier than you picture, the chances of hitting anything bigger than an helium atom are really small unless you travel straight to a very massive body, a star, the black hole in the center of the galaxy etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>