Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest 70s Wishbone Ash record

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: What is your favorite Ash recording from the 70s?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.38%]
3 [6.38%]
27 [57.45%]
2 [4.26%]
2 [4.26%]
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
4 [8.51%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 03:37
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^^ Wishbone Four is underrated cos they went to short tracks mode but highly recommend Ballad Of A Beacon, and Everybody Needs A Friend
I love Front Page News too, Laurie Wisefield's contribution to the later WA sound is praiseworthy for sure

Well, I'd probably get this fourth album if/when I see it (on LP) - I am familiar with 'Ballad...' from the Live Concerts album.
Darn it, I wish I had paid more attention when I saw MT's Wishbone perform live last year at BB King's whilst I was on holiday in NYC. I was there for Nektar, and MT and his band came on after and I hadn't ever before heard a note of WA. I stuck around to see what all the fuss was about this band and was sold that night . I really thought they were a 'bog-standard' blues/boogie band with twin guitars. Boy, was I wrong..........even the way they do their more simpler 'rockers' just ticks all the right boxes for me. As you can tell, I've gone all WA mad

Funny, I am kinda pissed you have recently discovered them now.....All that discovering, Yep as Alan says There's the Rub and New England are outstanding. The only one I have struggled with so far but still turn it up for loyalty sake is Raw to The Bone
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 04:54
^ ?? What - 'another mug jumping on the bandwagon' pissed, or 'it's taken someone this long to discover a great band' pissed ?? I'm confused as to your context - hopefully the latter......
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 13:48
Sorry Tom, just an expression meaning I was envious you have only recently found WASmile 

Someone recently had shared they just discovered Caravan and I thought the same thing!

Mate the risk of typed words, I am very happy for you
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 15:50
I like Locked In.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 16:24
^So you're the one!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 16:42
^LOL

Edited by presdoug - February 17 2014 at 16:44
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 23:14
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Sorry Tom, just an expression meaning I was envious you have only recently found WASmile 

Someone recently had shared they just discovered Caravan and I thought the same thing!
Mate the risk of typed words, I am very happy for you
Cool !! Oh, the joy of discovering music this wonderful. I mean, I've missed out on enjoying WA for a possible 25 years (since I started buying LP's and getting into Prog...). Better late than never -
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 06:05
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Wishbone Four, in hindsight, wasn't a bad album - it's just that it followed Argus and fans were expecting more. Also, the mixing/production wasn't great, and sadly the original tapes have disappeared so producing a cleaner version isn't possible Cry

What I would recommend, since you enjoyed MTs band, is getting a copy of the "Life Begins" DVD (or CD) that they recorded a few years back. It includes renditions of what are (IMO) the four standout songs from Wishbone Four, so if you have that you probably wouldn't need the album.

PS. Locked in really is dire though!

I'll give W4 another listen.

Probably you're right and the problem is just that it's in between two terrific records (Argus and There's the Rub).

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 08:40
All 3 volumes of Live Dates are worthwhile purchases although they have a few tracks to be skipped over sometimes..it's worth having them in your collection. I liked Locked In ..but I personally have trouble adapting to the "talk box" which in the 70's was very huge and crafted by guitarists like Joe Walsh and Peter Frampton. Wishbone Ash began using it on Locked In and New England. New England is a fine album without the "talk box"
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 03:34
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

^Tom....
If you drooling over their debut you should now buy the album "First Light".
"First Light" was discovered by WA's single most ardent fan as an acetate pressing in approx. 2007. The band recorded this acetate before their debut album in 1970 and was used as a way to get a record deal. It has most songs from the debut but also has probably their greatest track that was never ever released; that track is called "Roads of Day to Day" and this track is astonishing.
The fan was able to get all previous members of WA on board and released it on CD in 2008. For an acetate recording it is amazing quality.
Go buy "First Light" now and get back to me about <span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;">"Roads of Day to Day" .......I still cannot believe that they did not re record this for their debut......it should have been a monster hit.....it should have been released as a single in 2008.</span>
<span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;"></span>
Just got this 'First Light' on order as an LP !! Syn-Phonic has copies of it fresh in-stock so without hesitation.......
Still obsessing over S/T - the first 5 minutes of 'Handy' is some of the most inspired music I've heard for ages.....
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 09:32
"The Pilgrim" and particularly the live version on Live Dates is one of their most progressive pieces. The piece opens with a ambient style that begins with a distant guitar harmony combined with rolling of drum sticks on cymbals. That equals prog. Then the piece develops into quick stops forming a time signature which is in the vain of early YES. Then the vocal harmonies come in and that entire section is outstanding. The way it was written and the feeling which goes into it. Just after the vocal section ends...a burning guitar solo is storming through the speakers and it just spins my head around after all these years of listening to Wishbone Ash. The piece is very progressive , guiding you through sections..and again..this is definitely Progressive Rock. "The King Will Come" was  vocally difficult to pull off. I haven't heard one live recording where one of the members doesn't accidently go sharp or flat. Getting those harmonies to sound fluent takes hours of vocal practice. It's best to practice without the instruments for a few hrs just to master the sound effect of what you're vision gives you. On the studio version they sing it perfect, but on the live versions one or two of the vocalists tend to go sharp or flat. Try pulling that song off vocally while traveling the road and being forced to perform it 3 or 4 times a week. It would take some very seasoned vocalists to master the song ...if for example someone decided to re-record it. Think about it. Wishbone Ash were intimidating/scary in the early 70's.

Edited by TODDLER - February 26 2014 at 09:34
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 12:29
^ Surely some fine words there, Toddler !! Couldn't agree more
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 13:19
I have a special thing for "New England", the first Wishbone Ash album I heard. I was immediately grabbed by the hard rocker "Runaway" and loved how it was contrasted by a track like "By Candlelight"

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 13:39
New England is excellent indeed. Love those contrasts beteen hard rockers and softer parts as in the first two songs.
oldrok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 18:35

^Tom....
"First Light" was discovered by WA's single most ardent fan as an acetate pressing in approx. 2007. The band recorded this acetate before their debut album in 1970 and was used as a way to get a record deal. It has most songs from the debut but also has probably their greatest track that was never ever released; that track is called "Roads of Day to Day" and this track is astonishing.
The fan was able to get all previous members of WA on board and released it on CD in 2008. For an acetate recording it is amazing quality.
Go buy "First Light" now and get back to me about <span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;">"Roads of Day to Day" .......I still cannot believe that they did not re record this for their debut......it should have been a monster hit.....it should have been released as a single in 2008.</span>

Interesting. I'm a gonna have to dig into "First Light". It's always very cool to think you really know the works of a band and then come to find out there was one tucked in there that you didn't know of, and then rediscover their "newness" again. Awesome!!

A couple of mentions of Front Page News in posts above. I agree, a good listen also. I've always really liked the song "Diamond Jack", and always thought it would have been a good single. FPN in general was a very commercial sounding effort to me. I don't mean that as a negative, as there were some excellent tracks to it. Just had very slick packaging and overall mix, with just a tad of pop to it.

No Smoke Without Fire had the track "Anger in Harmony" which featured the "dueling" dual lead guitar ending that I've always thought of as the band's last truly great tune, but that's just my taste though.
oldrok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 19:07
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Wishbone Four, in hindsight, wasn't a bad album - it's just that it followed Argus and fans were expecting more. Also, the mixing/production wasn't great, and sadly the original tapes have disappeared so producing a cleaner version isn't possible Cry

What I would recommend, since you enjoyed MTs band, is getting a copy of the "Life Begins" DVD (or CD) that they recorded a few years back. It includes renditions of what are (IMO) the four standout songs from Wishbone Four, so if you have that you probably wouldn't need the album.

PS. Locked in really is dire though!

I'll give W4 another listen.
Probably you're right and the problem is just that it's in between two terrific records (Argus and There's the Rub).

I think you are both on the money. I recall reading somewhere that Wishbone Four was targeted by their label as being the album to break WA into the mainstream. It was to be strongly pushed by the studio, but whether they made the effort and it fell through, or it was panned early by fans/critics and they dropped plans for strong support I'm not too clear on. I just know that they were never given the airplay that could have broadened their scope of popularity. Is that really important? To the band itself, obvious answer is yes. But I wonder if toiling along in a degree of anonymity(they are widely known as "the best band you've never heard of")didn't make their efforts stronger???
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 23:20
Well, currently got 'Pilgrimage' on - up to track 2, side 2 - 'Valediction'. Just lent my LP of the debut to my boss at work. I find out tomorrow if he liked it or not. He knows them, has an album, but not the debut.....he freaked out when I was familiar with Atomic Rooster and so did I when he mentioned them !!! Lent him 'Death Walks Behind You' and he was impressed, though he has grown out of that 70's mindset (musically speaking).

Edited by Tom Ozric - February 26 2014 at 23:21
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 09:03

Well, currently got 'Pilgrimage' on - up to track 2, side 2 - 'Valediction'. Just lent my LP of the debut to my boss at work. I find out tomorrow if he liked it or not. He knows them, has an album, but not the debut.....he freaked out when I was familiar with Atomic Rooster and so did I when he mentioned them !!! Lent him 'Death Walks Behind You' and he was impressed, though he has grown out of that 70's mindset (musically speaking).
Your boss listens to Atomic Rooster? No sight of Progressive Rock in "Green Acres".
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 17:12
^ Green Acres - ???
Oh, my boss loved Wishbone S/T - esp. side 2 !!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 03:32

^Tom....
Just got this 'First Light' on order as an LP !! Syn-Phonic has copies of it fresh in-stock so without hesitation.......
Still obsessing over S/T - the first 5 minutes of 'Handy' is some of the most inspired music I've heard for ages.....

Hey Tom....I hope you didn't buy the vinyl LP called First Lights, I have a horrible feeling that it is a b**tleg.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>