Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest 70s Wishbone Ash record

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: What is your favorite Ash recording from the 70s?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.38%]
3 [6.38%]
27 [57.45%]
2 [4.26%]
2 [4.26%]
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
4 [8.51%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 03:53
^ Yep, sh*t, that's the one.........just got my batch of LP's in the mail today. First album I put on - Wishbone. It looks legit, has the acetate tracks plus some extra studio material from the 'Pilgrimage' sessions. The tracks are significantly different enough from the debut proper to be another special listen for me. I didn't expect it to be a b##t.....
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 04:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Yep, sh*t, that's the one.........just got my batch of LP's in the mail today. First album I put on - Wishbone. It looks legit, has the acetate tracks plus some extra studio material from the 'Pilgrimage' sessions. The tracks are significantly different enough from the debut proper to be another special listen for me. I didn't expect it to be a b##t.....

Oh dear.  What gives the "First Lights" LP away as being a b**t are the extra tracks that are lifted directly from the Pilgrimage album.....these are not on the legitimate CD release of "First Light"....oh an the added "s"  to "Light" also hints it being a suspect release.

Edited by BarryGlibb - March 03 2014 at 04:49
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 02:53
I have to admit - the vocal version of 'Alone' is just superb - love the emphasis on the arpeggio guitaring. These guys must've been onto something special back in the day.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 23:45
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Oh dear.  What gives the "First Lights" LP away as being a b**t are the extra tracks that are lifted directly from the Pilgrimage album.....these are not on the legitimate CD release of "First Light"....oh an the added "s"  to "Light" also hints it being a suspect release.

To be honest, when I made my selections from an updated list of 'vinyl availables', I thought " yay, First Light on LP "      
I just assumed that the extra 's' on 'light' was just a typo.....
How many times has anyone heard Genesis 'Nursery Cryme' referred to as 'Nursery Crymes'......?
BTW, the volume control of my stereo has to be cranked up really high (mid 20's...whatever that means...) to have a decent listening volume.......(no, I'm not deaf..... )......
I don't wilfully purchase b##ts, though my lack of knowledge on certain vinyl issues hampers me somewhat, and excitement kicks in and it mostly pans out in favour of me (and the artist.....). I'd give a few bob to Mart and his buddies should I ever get a chance to speak with him in person.............
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 15:44
It was a choice between the 1st album and NE. I went for New England because I love Laurie Wisefield's solo's. He is my fave Wishbone Ash guitarist.
I used to play in a Wishbone Ash tribute band before forming a Budgie tribute band. In fact Martin Turner is a personal friend of mine i'm pleased to say. Here he is playing on my old Rickenbacker 4001 in the studio, which he borrowed for his "Argus Through The Looking Glass" album that he released with his current band. I have not been active on this forum for a long toime so forgive me if you've seen this before!

Tony C.

proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 18:31
Argus
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 00:57
^^ Nice pic - thanks for posting that.
Always good to see Mart in action. Wishbone S/T is just plain AMAZING, I wouldn't change a thing on it.
New England is an album I have to keep an eye out for.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 01:58

^^ Nice pic - thanks for posting that.
Always good to see Mart in action. Wishbone S/T is just plain AMAZING, I wouldn't change a thing on it.
New England is an album I have to keep an eye out for.

You are welcome! Smile
Tony C.

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 04:57
That's the biggest pic of Martin Turner in the history of this Earth ...thanks for posting...he is a real hero of mine.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 15:01
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

That's the biggest pic of Martin Turner in the history of this Earth ...thanks for posting...he is a real hero of mine.

No worries, but i'm not sure why the pic came out so big! LOL he's a bit of an hero of mine too! Cool
Tony C.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345