Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Vangelis Documentary DVD coming
    Posted: July 25 2013 at 22:24
For Immediate Release

New Documentary 'Vangelis And The Journey To Ithaka' To Be Released On DVD 
September 23, 2013

London, UK - Much to the excitement of music fans worldwide, the new feature length documentary on Greek music legend Vangelis titled 'Vangelis And The Journey To Ithaka' will be released on September 23, 2013 by Gonzo MultiMedia UK. The two-hour documentary includes interviews with Vangelis and many of his friends and colleagues, including Sean Connery, Hugh Hudson, Jessye Norman, Oliver Stone, Akiko Ebi, Julian Rachlin and many others. It also includes rare, historical footage, most of which has never been seen before. Another highlight includes recent footage of Vangelis improvising new music!

Vangelis, a composer of electronic, ambient, jazz, pop/rock and orchestral music, is best known for his Academy Award winning score for the film 'Chariots Of Fire', and composing scores for the films 'Antarctica', 'Blade Runner', '1492: Conquest Of Paradise' and 'Alexander', as well as the use of his music in the PBS documentary 'Cosmos: A Personal Voyage' by Carl Sagan. Vangelis began his professional music career working with several popular Greek bands in the 1960's, such as The Forminx and most notably Aphrodite's Child. Throughout the 1970's Vangelis composed music scores for several animal documentaries; the success of these scores brought him into the film scoring mainstream.

In the early 1980's, Vangelis teamed up with YES vocalist/songwriter Jon Anderson. The duo recorded a series of successful and critically acclaimed albums under the name Jon & Vangelis. In 1981 Vangelis composed the score for the Oscar-winning film 'Chariots Of Fire', which won him an Academy Award for Best Original Music Score. The soundtrack's single “Theme From Chariots Of Fire” reached the top of the American Billboard Hot 100 chart and was most recently used as theme music at the London 2012 Olympics.

In a career spanning over 50 years, writing and composing over 50 albums, Vangelis is regarded as one of the greatest composers of electronic music of all time. And now, the new documentary 'Vangelis And The Journey To Ithaka' celebrates the music legend's illustrious and fascinating career!

To pre-order 'Vangelis And The Journey To Ithaka' DVD:

For more information:

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 12:46
For once a music documentary I am actually interested in and looking forward to.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 08:38
AbsolutelyThumbs Up
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 09:36
I used to have an interview/article on the guy from keyboard magazine or something like that. Back from either the early '80's or late '70's.  Mr. V. is an interesting guy and one of my inspirations.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 17:26

I wait for this one with great anticipation! I'm sure  (hope) Jon Anderson is in it. I once read JA asked him to be in Yes. That would have been sweet!

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 18:52
Awesome. Evangelos Papathanassiou has recorded some of the most exhilarating music ever, and by that I mean the "trilogy" of Heaven and Hell, Albedo 0.39 and Spiral in the mid-1970s. Sprinkle in other classic records like (of course) Blade Runner, Opera Sauvage, Soil Festivities and the underrated Direct and The City, and that's quite a pedigree even without referencing other Vangelis works.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 20:04
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Awesome. Evangelos Papathanassiou has recorded some of the most exhilarating music ever, and by that I mean the "trilogy" of Heaven and Hell, Albedo 0.39 and Spiral in the mid-1970s. Sprinkle in other classic records like (of course) Blade Runner, Opera Sauvage, Soil Festivities and the underrated Direct and The City, and that's quite a pedigree even without referencing other Vangelis works.

In the film The Year Of Living Dangerously (Mel Gibson & Sigourney Weaver), a track by Vangelis, "L'Enfant" was included in the movie even though Maurice Jarre did the official music score.

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 01:39

Add El Greco, China and Voices and you've nailed itSmile
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 08:26
And now please somebody explain to me why Vangelis is "prog-related" Angry
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
warp2600 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 06:03
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Please do yourself a favor and listen to his album called Albedo 0.39.
Although his music is one of a kind, even a prog fan can find tracks that go along the lines of prog rock. Vangelis is a one-man band: apart from keyboards that he is most often asociated with (and lend the unique sound) he plays the drums, guitars, piano, you name it.
He was auditioned by Yes to replace Wakeman when he left to pursue his solo career.
Do you still need more explanation to include a thread here?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 12:35
Hi,

This has been around for a couple of years, and I don't know what the hangup is, but I have an idea.

Vangelis, is a pretty spontaneous person and he doesn't do the "classical thing", or the "rock thing", which is to practice the scales 10k times and make sure I can play this better than you! However, that doesn't mean that he is not learned in music and its theory, and I think it was his mom that was a professional musician.

He likes to be "spontaneous" (his word on an interview that was available to FM stations during "Heaven and Hell" days), and not work in the style that he used to call "commercial music" (his words). Thus, you will usually find his style very free flowing and exploratory in many ways, that is not always appreciated by everyone, and makes the "designation" of where he fits in music, much tougher to clarify.

He likes to try different sounds, and this would explain things like "Beaubourg", an album that many of us can not listen to and enjoy a whole lot, but in many ways, is more interesting by what it is ... it's sort of an "Amorok" for Vangelis ... in that it is not designed, in any way, shape or form that we probably have any idea about, and it takes a special kind of person, comfortable in the work they do, to be able to do something like that!

Lastly ... you guys STILL are not doing your HOMEWORK! You're supposed to find the T-spoons in ALL of Vangelis' albums, and you have not done so! They are there!

If the documentary, is half as good as that interview ... it will be phenomenal!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 12:59

If you listen to Albedo 0.39 and Heaven & Hell, how would one think he's not? He's no less "prog" than Tangerine Dream, in my book.

Van plays everything, he does the multi-keyboards things like EmoWakeRaz, he plays drums, bass, other instruments, engineers & records...the guy is amazing.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 13:00
Originally posted by warp2600 warp2600 wrote:

He was auditioned by Yes to replace Wakeman when he left to pursue his solo career.

Not to mention the series of collaborative albums he recorded with Jon Anderson (which granted, aren't that proggy), and the co-writing credit he has on "Let's Pretend" from the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 13:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

He likes to try different sounds, and this would explain things like "Beaubourg", an album that many of us can not listen to and enjoy a whole lot, but in many ways, is more interesting by what it is ... it's sort of an "Amorok" for Vangelis ... in that it is not designed, in any way, shape or form that we probably have any idea about, and it takes a special kind of person, comfortable in the work they do, to be able to do something like that!

I heard long ago that Beauborg is his "contractual obligation" album. He owed it to the label, and when they told him they expected to hear it the next week, he literally walked into the studio, set everything up, turned on whatever required electricity to function...and an hour later, he had Beauborg.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 01:57
Originally posted by warp2600 warp2600 wrote:

Please do yourself a favor and listen to his album called Albedo 0.39.
Although his music is one of a kind, even a prog fan can find tracks that go along the lines of prog rock. Vangelis is a one-man band: apart from keyboards that he is most often asociated with (and lend the unique sound) he plays the drums, guitars, piano, you name it.
Do you still need more explanation to include a thread here?

completely misunderstanding the question I think

Vangelis was in 'electronic prog' but then got moved into prog related at someones request.

The reason? I guess it's because of Vangelis early career (pre Heaven and Hell). Earth and The Dragon are really good albums but where are the synths?
I have no doubt that if Vangelis had started in 1975 then he would be categorised as 'electronic prog'. I think there is an argument for split discography with his early albums going into 'eclectic'. For me 'prog related' is wholly inadequate and tha's what Octopus is getting at I believe.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 02:01

I heard long ago that Beauborg is his "contractual obligation" album. He owed it to the label, and when they told him they expected to hear it the next week, he literally walked into the studio, set everything up, turned on whatever required electricity to function...and an hour later, he had Beauborg.

A myth that Vangelis quashed quite recently. He took this abum very seriosuly but allowed himself a freedom he hadn' perhaps had before.

If Beauborg is his contractural obligation album where does that leave Invisible Connections?LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 17:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

A myth that Vangelis quashed quite recently. He took this abum very seriosuly but allowed himself a freedom he hadn' perhaps had before.

If Beauborg is his contractural obligation album where does that leave Invisible Connections?LOL

To me, Beauberg, does not sound like an album that ... whatever he did was not important and was just trash!

I think this is a fantastic album, given that it takes away preconceived notions about "music" ... which we REFUSE TO ACCEPT in almost all its possibilities and many of us still think it's crap because it is not a song format!

I love this, as much as an Amorok ...  or Yeti, or Marilyn Monroe Memorial Church and many of these ... pieces ... they are magnificent!

Edited by moshkito - August 10 2013 at 17:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply