Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour music collection by the date

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 11:31
Not really, but some days or periods I may be more in the mood for older stuff or for Neo or for modern stuff etc, so when that happens it can be that I am listening to several albums from the same period in a short time, but it's not actually deliberated or planned nor in any particular sequence.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 12:46
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I don't think I could do this.  Too much sorting.

That's what Rate Your Music is for

Is there an easy way to upload on RYM? I'm not typing in 1200 albums.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 13:03
I just don't care enough.   
Help me I'm falling!
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 13:15
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I don't think I could do this.  Too much sorting.

That's what Rate Your Music is for

Is there an easy way to upload on RYM? I'm not typing in 1200 albums.

Not really, but you don't have to type the album names in, you find the page for that album and click the "I Own It" button. If you own lots by the same artist, you can catalogue them all pretty quick.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 14:05
Originally posted by MrJames MrJames wrote:

Have you ever tried listen to your music collection by the date? Or just some decade (for example 60' or 70')? I'm making a chart (day, month, year) and I have currently about 800 albums. I miss some dates so if someone has a similar table, we can make exchange.

My collection, would start with Gregorian Chants and the 16th century ... Albinoni, Vivaldi ... and others ... and it would take a while before I arrived at 1960!

I still think that the 1800's are the best!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 14:17
Ooooooooooh nope - that would be kind of difficult. What I listen to and when kind of depends on what mood I want irrelevently of recording date. Right now I'm listening to "Ghost Town" by Poco - just before that it was Gazpacho's "March of Ghosts" album. Last night I felt like something really old by today's standards and I spooled up some Sinatra.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Have you ever tried listen to your music collection by the date? Or just some decade (for example 60' or 70')? I'm making a chart (day, month, year) and I have currently about 800 albums. I miss some dates so if someone has a similar table, we can make exchange.

My collection, would start with Gregorian Chants and the 16th century ... Albinoni, Vivaldi ... and others ... and it would take a while before I arrived at 1960!

I still think that the 1800's are the best!

Well fer cryin' out loud get started man!!!  I'm time traveling back and the year is about to be 1997.  When do you think I will run into you???
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 20:09

I was going to do this but found the logistics unworkable. Do classical composition get listened to by recording date, release date of the album or composition date? Some of the works in my collection have uncertain composition dates and have been released on mltiple albums so it makes it hard.

I am currently listening ti my library in alphabetical order by song, which is nice, and in the past I have done shortest song to longest which was awesome (took a full year)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 08:34
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I was going to do this but found the logistics unworkable. Do classical composition get listened to by recording date, release date of the album or composition date? Some of the works in my collection have uncertain composition dates and have been released on mltiple albums so it makes it hard.

I am currently listening ti my library in alphabetical order by song, which is nice, and in the past I have done shortest song to longest which was awesome (took a full year)

Ohhh ... you are listening to Beethoven and Mozart by song?

WOW
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 08:47
Took me a little while to fathom what this thread was aboutEmbarrassed (I'm not sure I fully understand it actually)

Simple answer really: I don't catalogue anything in my life - maybe I should, but I don't. I have my collection on the shelf - I see no gain in writing down which ones I own -how old they are and whatnot, I mean, they're right there for everybody to see(and hear). I have however had countless of listening sessions, where albums made around the same time get airplay. I don't think about it though...

I think this is an area of anal behaviour, where we as a gender brush up against what I overtly and quite disrespectfully call the feminine madness. "Let's put everything into nice and neat boxes, so as we can find it again without too much of a hassle" 
We tend to do this with music, most women I've met do this with relationships.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AnnySi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 06:12
I just sort i according to new or retro music!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12