Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums from Top 100 Artists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums from Top 100 Artists
    Posted: July 26 2013 at 19:40
There are tons of great artists on the Top 100 list here at PA. However, I feel like some of their other albums outside of the list are highly overlooked. Take Harmonium for example. Their magnum opus, Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison sits comfortably at #22 on the list. However, the follow-up, L'Heptade, is nowhere to be found on the list, even on the top 250 or top 100 symphonic. The shameful thing is, that album is almost better than the one sitting on the top 100 list! Are there any other albums that are by an artist on the Top 100 that are spectacular but seem overlooked?
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 20:24
I'm always thoroughly surprised that Discipline's Unfolded Like Staircase isn't on the list. It's in my top 5 albums for sure. I'm also surprised Riverside's Anno Domini High Definition and Dream Theater's Awake are absent from the list. They're both truly beautiful.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 11:34
Most of the polling is based on a lot of subjectivity and personal taste, but their are a few albums I feel that should definitely be where they are in terms of Prog Rock Elite status. Selling England By The Pound should definitely be where it is. That is an album that really characterizes and represents the prog/rock genre so well. Just my opinion though, but my overall point is not to take the PA top 100 totally to heart. It is what it is and like you, I feel their are many many albums that have had a bigger impact on me than what's listed in the top 100, but then again it all about exposure. Not many may know all the bands or albums you love. Music is far too vast to put definitive labels on what albums are truly the best. For instance, I love SAVIOUR MACHINE but hardly anyone I know including a lot here on PA, know about SM's music. SM's very first album SM1 will go down as one of my very all time favourites and I'd put it in the top 5 of my 100, but hey that's just me. All in all though, just be thankful for what you have discovered and that you dearly love. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 17:15
Gathering Speed - Big Big Train

Though i'm a not a huge fan of the T100. 

Edited by Horizons - July 27 2013 at 17:15
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply