Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Magenta release new album "The Twenty Seven Club"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagenta release new album "The Twenty Seven Club"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magenta release new album "The Twenty Seven Club"
    Posted: July 31 2013 at 15:56

www.magenta-web.com

“The new album has been five years in the making and I have tried to take the best elements of all the previous Magenta albums to craft the best collection of songs I could. I think this has been achieved and The Twenty Seven Club represents a return to our progressive rock roots” says composer and multi-instrumentalist Rob Reed. “Only a few people have heard the album thus far but all have agreed that this is the best Magenta album to date”.

The Twenty Seven Club refers to a large group of musician/singers (including Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain ) who all died at the age of 27, many from alcohol or drug abuse.

“Writing the lyrics for this album was very challenging this time around,” explains lyricist Steve Reed. “It was quite difficult making each song stand alone and be different from each other, but I’m really proud of the results and happy with how the songs have turned out”.

Joining Rob, Chris and Christina on this occasion is drummer Andy Edwards, best known for his work with IQ and Frost. “For the last few years I have been very keen to work with Andy. I was a huge fan of his playing when he was with IQ and Frost*” adds Rob, “so when our schedules aligned, we went into the studio and the results were amazing. Andy was really enthusiastic about the album and his playing certainly reflects this.”

The official release date for the album is September 2nd but it will be available at the gigs at The Borderline (August 31st), The Robin (September 1st) and The Globe in Cardiff (September 6th).

Join AREA 27, a members only website where you will receive, prior to the release, the following :

- Four complete preview tracks from the album (the first one is now available)
- Many ‘making of’ and band interview videos
- Promo video for ‘The Lizard King’
- Many extras including rehearsal footage and alternative mixes etc.

Plus the following to be dispatched on September 2nd :

The Twenty Seven Club 2 Disc Set (CD and DVD)

•     Complete DTS and Dolby 5.1 surround mixes
•     107 minute ‘making of’ documentary
•     The Lizard King promo video
•     Six exclusive '27 Club' postcards

The AREA 27 package is now available from the Magenta website for £16 (+P&P)

The 2 disc set (CD + DVD) will be £12 (+P&P) and will be available to buy from September 2nd.

A preview of the album can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yidfGKTVtdo

MAGENTA LIVE 2013

Saturday August 31st
The Borderline. London

Sunday September 1st
The Robin. Bilston

Friday Sept 6th
The Globe. Cardiff

Friday Nov 1st
Spirit Of 66. Belgium

Saturday Nov 2nd
The Boerderij. Holland

www.magenta-web.com
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 20:03
Pretty short build up to this one. Hoping for the best. Rob put so much effort in to Kompedium but I really think he has a lot of reserve on the Magenta end.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 07:15
Sounds interesting, I will have to check this out.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 14:32
I can't wait! I always look forward to new Magenta. The subject could make for some killer lyrics and songs.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 07:36
If no one else did then I was going to post this as 

ANDY EDWARDS JOINS MAGENTA!!

that's the big news for me. Edwards played on IQ's brilliant Frequency. This is big prog news akin to Gareth Bale joining Real Madrid... well sort ofSmile
Pedro_XXL View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 07:05
It's their best album so far in my opinion. Can't wait for it to hit people's ears properly.

By the way, Andy Edwards is only guesting for this album, Steve Roberts from Godsticks is still their live drummer (like Chester!) but Andy's performance is just perfect for the material. Great stuff.

Edited by Pedro_XXL - August 11 2013 at 07:08
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 13:44
Originally posted by Pedro_XXL Pedro_XXL wrote:

It's their best album so far in my opinion. Can't wait for it to hit people's ears properly.

By the way, Andy Edwards is only guesting for this album, Steve Roberts from Godsticks is still their live drummer (like Chester!) but Andy's performance is just perfect for the material. Great stuff.

thanks for that

btw you don't need to type in such a small font if you don't want toWink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 19:36
Richard, he is taking a break from the Magenta Forum.

Pedro, where's the Giant? I know you love Magenta so those are pretty strong words out of you. I hope you ain't blowing smoke, my friend.  I'll have to wait the long wait of the American Magenta fan to get my copy.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 20:35
Prog musician Helmut Koellen is a member of The Twenty Seven Club, wish that weren't true.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 07:23
Guys - spare a moment's thought for Magenta vocalist Christina Booth, who has been through (is going through) a pretty torrid time at the moment. She posted this on the band's facebook back on the 25th October:

"Today I said goodbye to my mother. She has been unwell for some time so I hope she will find peace and be re-united with her husband, my dad, who died last year. I shall miss her desperately, adios a mi madre.

On Wednesday I face an operation for breast cancer. This is a personal battle against my greatest fear but with the support of my wonderful family and friends feel positive and optimistic for the future.

Despite the challenges it was with a heavy heart that I conceded defeat and asked Rob to cancel the gigs next weekend. I feel so very sorry for the problems this will cause but events have overtaken me in the last week and decisions have been made on my behalf.

I am though looking forward to the new year and being able to resume singing which still remains one of the great loves in my life. Thank you everybody for the words of support I have already received, and, to quote the eminent poet A. Schwarzenegger "I'll be back".

Xx"

I'm not going to make a separate thread for this topic, but you can read more about the changes to the band's gig schedule that this sad revelation has necessitated here: http://www.progrockmag.com/news/the-reasoning-and-touchstone-to-perform-cancer-fundraiser/

Basically The inaugural Trinity tour – a triple-headliner in May next year featuring Magenta, Touchstone and The Reasoning – has been postponed as a result of Christina's cancer fight. But those who have bought tickets are being offered a consolation fundraising event, and the original shows will be rescheduled once her treatment is completed.

Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 10:48
Cry

Get well Christina.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 21:25
No Cry Christina Booth is one of my favorite vocalists. Here's hoping for a painless recovery. I really like Magenta a lot.

Edited by proggman - November 23 2013 at 18:14
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 16:20
My best wishes to Christina as well. Her solo album Broken Lives and Bleeding Hearts  is well worth checking out. 

Edited by richardh - November 27 2013 at 14:35
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 05:08
Guys - we have a bit of very encouraging news regarding Christina: http://www.progmagazine.com/news/2014-05-07/magenta-return-to-trinity-bill.

Christina Booth will lead Magenta in a short 'Trinity' prog charity show set after cancer treatment leaves her well enough to appear.

The original Trinity concept was for Magenta, Touchstone and The Reasoning to perform a triple-header touring festival – but that was abandoned after Booth announced she needed time off to deal with her health issues.

Only one show was kept on the schedule, at the Leamington Spa Assembly on May 18. It was turned into a cancer charity fundraising event with Touchstone and The Reasoning remaining on the bill. Special guests were to include Alan Reed, Matt Stevens, Heather Findlay, Lost In Vegas and Arena.

Now it's been confirmed that Booth and co will play alongside their colleagues. She says: "I'll be performing a short set with Magenta, and hopefully a surprise duet too, as my treatment is going well.

"Initially we cancelled as we were uncertain how ill I would feel – but I'm very lucky not to have suffered too many side effects. I'm so excited about getting back up on stage. I can't thank everyone enough for the support I've received."

Some tickets for the Trinity event on May 18, proudly sponsored by Prog, remain on sale, with the show expected to sell out: http://www.leamingtonassembly.com/EventInfo.aspx?id=991

Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 05:54
- I wasn't even aware Christina was ill. I recently bought the 2LP version of The Twenty Seven Club and it's a beauty. Amazing end to end. Hope she returns to full health promptly.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 06:14
Great news, David...Three terrific female fronted bands on that list as well!

Tom, I have no doubt this tour will be winging it's way down to our Australia, eh?! Tom.....Tom....?   
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 16:19
Great news on ChristinaThumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 01:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Great news, David...Three terrific female fronted bands on that list as well!

Tom, I have no doubt this tour will be winging it's way down to our Australia, eh?! Tom.....Tom....?   
Ha !! There's more chance of winning the lottery this week than this amazing bill making its way Down Under.......(sigh)......
 Post Reply Post Reply