Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Rush Boxset & Vapor Trails Remixed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rush Boxset & Vapor Trails Remixed!
    Posted: August 01 2013 at 08:03

Quote The Newly Remixed Version Of Vapor Trails And 7-Disc Boxed Set Of Atlantic Studio Albums

Both Are Available On October 1 from Atlantic/Rhino (September 30 internationally)

In 2009, two tracks from VAPOR TRAILS (“One Little Victory” and “Earthshine”) were remixed for the Retrospective III collection, setting you all into a frenzy in anticipation of a possible remixed version of the entire album being released one day. That time has come.

The Vapor Trails Remixed album will be available on CD, Double LP, and digital download on October 1 from Atlantic/Rhino.

“Vapor Trails was an album made under difficult and emotional circumstances – sort of like Rush learning how to be Rush again – and as a result, mistakes were made that we have longed to correct. David Bottrill’s remixes have finally brought some justice and clarity to this deserving body of our work,” says Geddy Lee.

“Every song has been given a new life, from the fire of ‘One Little Victory,’ ‘Secret Touch,’ and ‘Ceiling Unlimited’ to the melodic musicality of ‘Sweet Miracle’ and ‘How It Is’… these songs have been redeemed. Thank you David!”

The remixed version of VAPOR TRAILS will also be included in the new 7-disc boxed set RUSH: THE STUDIO ALBUMS 1989-2007, which features every studio album Rush recorded for Atlantic Records. The collection includes the Gold & Platinum albums Presto (1989), Roll The Bones (1991), Counterparts (1993), and Test For Echo (1996), as well as their covers EP Feedback (2004) and the Billboard Top 5 album Snakes & Arrows (2007). THE STUDIO ALBUMS 1989-2007 features each album presented in a wallet sleeve that faithfully reproduces the original artwork (except for VAPOR TRAILS, which features a reinterpreted version of the original cover) and is also available on October 1 from Atlantic/Rhino.
Bigger on the inside.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 08:21
Big smile 
Nice, I don't have any of these on CD so could be tempted.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 08:24
The remix of Vapor Trails sounds interesting. Maybe the infamous "wall of sound" has been ditched?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 08:47
Well this is convenient.  These are the only Rush albums I don't own..
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 09:08
now... to find money
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 09:20
Ah yes, that.  
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 09:53
Thank god the remix version is available individually, I'll be sure to get that one.
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 09:57
Counterparts is the only one I have from this boxset
torete View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 10:19
i hope for a vinyl release some day of " test for echo" the only rush album never released on vinyl! the rest.. i have all on vinyl!

Edited by torete - August 01 2013 at 10:20
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 10:37
I don't think I have any of these, but I'll wait till it's in the discount bin. Smile
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 13:27
I don't see how the remix of a bad cd, can make a whole difference. Do i really want to hear some uninspiring songs with a different sound. You could change plenty of technical things, but you won't change the spirit of those songs.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 23:19
Look at Clockwork Angels. This is still going to be a loud mix. It might be loud and clear now, and less muddy, but they dynamism of the 80s and 70s is long gone.
JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 23:21
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I don't see how the remix of a bad cd, can make a whole difference. Do i really want to hear some uninspiring songs with a different sound. You could change plenty of technical things, but you won't change the spirit of those songs.
I heard that Vapor Trails is very good. A lot of people are excited by this. Don't rain on people's parade.
J Dawg
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 23:29
This is terrible.  Now everyone is going to listen to the stupid remixed version of Vapor Trails, and that is all they will remember, and the magic of the original recording will begin to fade.  I was really hoping that they would never get this done.  Crap.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 23:32
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

This is terrible.  Now everyone is going to listen to the stupid remixed version of Vapor Trails, and that is all they will remember, and the magic of the original recording will begin to fade.  I was really hoping that they would never get this done.  Crap.

Rush: The George Lucas of Canadian Prog Rock.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 07:14

the loud sound quality was the album's main criticism... at least by old people anyway
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 08:10

Why does this bother you? You can listen to the old version as long as you like and nobody's going to take its magic away from you. I know there's a lot of us who think the songs are good, but it's just way too tiresome to listen because of the sound. If anything this move will bring the album more listeners (if the remixes are good, that is). I personally have been waiting for years for this release.

Edited by Pekka - August 02 2013 at 08:12
TrevRockOne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 20:11
This is good news (provided they've done a good job). Vapor Trails has some magical Rush music on it, but the crap sound has always made listening to the whole album in one sitting headache inducing. Now they just need to remix Clockwork Angels. /sigh
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 20:16
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Vapor Trails is a great album, not prog - but that's the appeal of it for me. Sorry. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 20:38
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Why does this bother you? You can listen to the old version as long as you like and nobody's going to take its magic away from you. I know there's a lot of us who think the songs are good, but it's just way too tiresome to listen because of the sound. If anything this move will bring the album more listeners (if the remixes are good, that is). I personally have been waiting for years for this release.

It doesn't bother me that people want to listen to a cleaner version, but that when this gets released it will become the definitive version of the album, and future generations will lose something in their appreciation of the album because that wall-of-sound, garage rock quality to it will be lost; which is a very important part of the album and enhances it's raw, emotional quality, in my opinion.  It's not that I oppose the idea of a remix as much as I oppose the idea of the original being forgotten and the remix being the version that's remembered.  To me, the plus side of having another version of the album with all the parts clearer so I can appreciate the intricacy of the recording more is kind of outweighed by the loss of that raw quality to it.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>