Topic Closed2013 NFL Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 50>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 15:40
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The Lions lost their leading pass receiver, Nate Burleson, to an auto accident this morning.  Apparently, he was driving home from a friend's house after watching MNF last night and lost control of his car and broke his arm in two places.  It does not appear that alcohol was a factor, but I am thinking that he probably dozed off or something.  

Damn!

Just picked him up on one of my fantast teams last week. Also a bad blow to the lions. I've always liked him and he seems a good compliment in that offense.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 00:47
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yeah I still don't get this obsession with running QBs especially when you have one like Pryor who can apparently throw it well after all. I mean if it's an open lane, go for it but the planned QB run?? They seem to rarely work and in his case, left him walking into a blitz. Stupid. I was surprised how he stood in the pocket and always looked for the pass. Cool to see a running QB work on his passing game and not be in a tailored system. That big ten mentalitySmile

I agree with you about the crazy obsession with running QB's, they're all just a hit away from serious injury.  Turns out Pryor did suffer a concussion and is questionable for the next game.  When Tebow had that success with the Broncos a couple years ago, I remember thinking this was exciting to watch, but there's no way one of these run-first QB's will have more than a 3 year NFL career...they're just not built to take repeated hits from LB's and the more physical Safeties.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 02:46
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yeah I still don't get this obsession with running QBs especially when you have one like Pryor who can apparently throw it well after all. I mean if it's an open lane, go for it but the planned QB run?? They seem to rarely work and in his case, left him walking into a blitz. Stupid. I was surprised how he stood in the pocket and always looked for the pass. Cool to see a running QB work on his passing game and not be in a tailored system. That big ten mentalitySmile

I agree with you about the crazy obsession with running QB's, they're all just a hit away from serious injury.  Turns out Pryor did suffer a concussion and is questionable for the next game.  When Tebow had that success with the Broncos a couple years ago, I remember thinking this was exciting to watch, but there's no way one of these run-first QB's will have more than a 3 year NFL career...they're just not built to take repeated hits from LB's and the more physical Safeties.

If you're built like Ben Roethlisberger, you can take plenty of hits LOL. But there aren't many like him in that respect. I'm always hesitent to draft them in fantasy leagues because of the inherently greater risk for injury. Michael Vick is a great example, as is Griffin. I'm curious if we'll ever see a 300lb QB that can throw and plow over LB's as well.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 15:55
I've been so bullish on the Rams this season, and they've sort of just sh*t the bed. Still though, I'm going to continue on that track. I think it'll be a good game tonight. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:11
I do too. I'm just hoping it doesn't end in another tie. I think the 49ers get a chance to recover with a win here, but I still expect it to be a very competitive game.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:13
Thank you for the reminder.  I forgot to make my picks for the week.  Thumbs Up
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 17:08
I've been skeptical of the rams because of the guy at QB. It's a tough one, they are the rams...their offense has been shockingly lacking in talent for years, but still Bradford has failed to do much and seems a "manager" at best. I'd be willing to give him another year or two now that upgrades have been made...but I would've drafted a QB to start prepping.

I'm excited for tonight's game. Niners have been a let down on D and maybe Kaep is coming down to reality, this may be competitive! That said, for the sake of my fantasy team I need them to shut the Rams out, sack Sam 5 times, pick him thrice, force a couple of fumbles and a safety would be niceClown

Edited by JJLehto - September 26 2013 at 17:17
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 19:18
I'm mostly excited to watch 5 quarters of football tonight. So maybe the more football that happens, the better for your fantasy team?

Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch. But I would still take an over/under on 5 quarters happening.

And I'm stealing this from Reddit, but this was an entertaining read:

The Rams are the most painfully average team in the NFL. They're like a guy that holds a 9 to 5 cubicle position, where the highlight of the day is how someone in the office accidentally e-mailed everyone a picture of the skin tag on their back. Maybe on his next trip to the ice machine, The Rams will try to strike up a conversation with one of the new female interns, but flashbacks to how he had to ask what a condom was in sex ed will ultimately prevent him from doing so.

After work, he'll punch out, climb into his PT cruiser, take the back roads on his 30 min commute home (he has a fear of the freeway but claims he only drives this way to 'comfortably cruise'), slink into his apartment, and pop open a room temperature Coors Light. If he's feeling frisky he might go out for a meal at the Applebee's later (he always buys a 2 for $20 for himself), but most likely he'll just indulge in some light reading of the People's magazine he stole after his haircut at Great Clips. Afterwards, he'll hop on Facebook and check to see if anyone liked his 'artsy' photo of the clouds this morning, only to find that only he and his mom will have done so (she commented, "I miss you, please call <3"). The night is capped off watching a re-run of Blade III and a half hearted attempt at following the six minute abs program he found in the dollar bin at Ross.

Edited by horsewithteeth11 - September 26 2013 at 19:19
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 14:48
The Lions are beating the Bears 40 to 16.  Who'd of thunk that would be possible?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 15:07
The Lions have gone into their prevent offense and then their prevent defense.  The only thing these prevent are the Lions from winning. Unhappy
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 17:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The Lions have gone into their prevent offense and then their prevent defense.  The only thing these prevent are the Lions from winning. Unhappy

I never thought of it that way, but it's true.  They get a lead and then they just shut down.  That's what lost them the game in Arizona a couple of weeks ago, too.  At least they came away with a huge divisional win today to move to the top of the North (with the tie breaker, of course). 

And then with Seattle's come from behind win in Houston today, this has been a pretty good day so far!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 17:47
Well my Giants looked better, which is sad because they looked pretty crap but it WAS an improvement.
Just f**kin beautiful

I'm sorry but how can anyone in the NFL stop Denver? This is like watching a video game, I know the Eagles D is not very good but still, looks like they aren't even trying out there. Of course we have seen this before, 07 pats for example so we'll see, but for now this offense is just a machine.

Still a long season to go, but a quarter in I think teams are more less aligned and showing what they got. There is 0 doubt Seattle and Denver are the best in their conferences. The titles are theirs to lose.

Edited by JJLehto - September 29 2013 at 17:58
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 19:17
Giants...1-14 on 3rd down conversions.

Oh lord.

At least they are only two games out of the division lead.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 20:19
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Giants...At least they are only two games out of the division lead.

Same for the Stillers....LOL.  All the AFC north is 2-2 except us.  No take aways in 4 games, unreal.  I saw 2 missed interceptions right in Ike's hands and a fumble that just squirted away from 3 Steelers and gave the Vikings a first down.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 20:56

Man!! I missed the last half of Hawks game....had to leave. I honestly did not think they had a chance playing like they were.

I thought 1st half the D was wayyyyy too soft in the secondary. And Houston being the most blitzed on team and we did not do much of that, made me wonder what the game plan was.

But the D came thru in the end.......I'm a happy camper! Now I just need the Saints to come thru tomorrow.......
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 22:47
I'd say I find it hard to see Miami winning but they DO have wins over the Colts and Falcons.
Granted I'm still not totally sold on the Falcons (like the texans they just seem to lack that moxy) and even though Miami has a good D and Tannheill has been impressive, this is Brees and coLOL

I may be biased because I want Brees to have 400 yards and 4 TDs of course
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 00:32
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Giants...At least they are only two games out of the division lead.

Same for the Stillers....LOL.  All the AFC north is 2-2 except us.  No take aways in 4 games, unreal.  I saw 2 missed interceptions right in Ike's hands and a fumble that just squirted away from 3 Steelers and gave the Vikings a first down.

Haha. Damn...I didn't realize the AFC North was having similar problems. At least it makes the division races exciting.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 08:12
My God....the Ravens looked like sh*t yesterday,especially Flacco.Cry

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 09:34
RIP to former Steelers DE L.C. Greenwood

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 09:46
Yeah how's that elite talk feeling now? WinkTongueClown
I kid I kid, I understand the pain actually. Flacco always reminded me a lot of Eli, in many ways. One being his constant flak, even from "fans" despite all the success he's brought, AND his maddening inconsistency. 5 picks is ugly! It seemed to be a close game so it couldn't have been garbage time heaving?

Looking forward to tonight's game, in that I hope it's an epic saints blowout and the 'phins are put in their place as bottom feedersLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 50>