Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013 NFL Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 50>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 23:46
Yup, good week. Looking forward to the Panthers (oh please we gotta beat them at least lol) and Chiefs/Eagles may be interesting. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 03:07
Hi all, just stumbled across this thread.  Longtime Bronco fan and just moved to Olympia WA 5 months ago so have adopted the Seahawks as my NFC team.  Wanted to talk about the weather delays I've seen twice this year already and find out what you all think about this.

Quick background on me and football weather.  As a kid in the 60's I became a Vikings fan because they were always playing in blizzards and rain and mud and ice and I loved it.  I'd still be a Vikings fan today if they'd never moved to the Metrodome.  Stuck with them through '82/'83 but I just could not root for a team that played in a dome.  Decided to choose a new team in '84.  Turned on the TV in early October to watch Monday Night Football and I'm greeted by a Denver blizzard.  Been a Bronco fan ever since.

In all my years of watching football, I never remember seeing a single game delayed for lightning.  Of course this year the Broncos opener and last Sunday's Seahawk game both had significant weather/lightning delays...and apparently Sunday's Bucs game as well.  I can't believe there has never been thunder/lightning near stadiums before the past two weeks, so what's the story?  Why the change of league policy?  What do you think about the lightning delays this season?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 08:14
This has always been the league policy. It just doesn't occur frequently. We've had some funky weather in the country lately, and regardless it was bound to clump together like this sometime. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 08:25
Yeah lightning is the one thing they never play in (or if there's a hurricane bearing down on them, I believe it happened in Tampa Bay years ago) and lighning delay has happened before, as Pat said just some whack timing this week.
No worries, we often bemoan the NFL becoming softer but they still do play in rain, snow and wind...just not lightning.

Which btw, I really would like to see something like a Saints/Chargers SB and hope it's 20 degrees and snowing here in NJ when they play itLOL Or Joe Flacco since he was a baby about it, but I dont want them back so soon
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 08:35
I thought the game last night was fairly ugly for the most part. Finally showed the Steelers are a mix of young, up-and-coming (although from the looks of last night, that could be awhile) guys and veterans who looked too slow and old to be out there. Ben's o-line didn't help him much either, plus the injuries and offensive play-calling doesn't seem to be helping them either. I can see why Steelers fans rage so much about Todd Haley. Why someone keeps calling for bubble screens on 2nd & 10 and 3rd & 10 is beyond me.

Not to say the Bungles played that much better. Dalton was overthrowing a ton of passes early (Ben seemed to have the same issue, so I wondered if someone messed with the gravity generators), and even late, seemed like he was trying his hardest to make sure he threw at least 1 pick in the game. But our defense looked better this time around, and I'll take it even against an o-line that looked like that. And Giovanni Bernard seems to be the answer for our replacement to BJGE. Overall though, I'm satisfied with how they played. They'll have to shore up some of those mistakes, especially the penalties, for Green Bay next Sunday though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 09:42
Bengals played well across the board except for at QB. Dalton looked pretty terrible. Bad decisions, bad throws. How many times did wide open receivers streaking through the secondary have to turn around for a ball? 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 11:21
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Hi all, just stumbled across this thread.  Longtime Bronco fan and just moved to Olympia WA 5 months ago so have adopted the Seahawks as my NFC team.  Wanted to talk about the weather delays I've seen twice this year already and find out what you all think about this.

Quick background on me and football weather.  As a kid in the 60's I became a Vikings fan because they were always playing in blizzards and rain and mud and ice and I loved it.  I'd still be a Vikings fan today if they'd never moved to the Metrodome.  Stuck with them through '82/'83 but I just could not root for a team that played in a dome.  Decided to choose a new team in '84.  Turned on the TV in early October to watch Monday Night Football and I'm greeted by a Denver blizzard.  Been a Bronco fan ever since.

In all my years of watching football, I never remember seeing a single game delayed for lightning.  Of course this year the Broncos opener and last Sunday's Seahawk game both had significant weather/lightning delays...and apparently Sunday's Bucs game as well.  I can't believe there has never been thunder/lightning near stadiums before the past two weeks, so what's the story?  Why the change of league policy?  What do you think about the lightning delays this season?

Yeah, Sunday was one of those weird days where there were more football games than baseball games delayed because of weather.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 11:24

Oh, and welcome to the Pacific NW. Though I'm actually a lifelong Bengals fan myself. Big smile

Edited by Metalmarsh89 - September 17 2013 at 11:25
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 14:19
Yeah, Dalton was not inspirational... that's for sure, but a pretty damn solid team.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 00:16
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Oh, and welcome to the Pacific NW. Though I'm actually a lifelong Bengals fan myself. Big smile

Thanks!  I'm bracing for my first winter in the wettest city in the lower 48 (according to MSNBC weather).  Quite a change from San Jose where it's sunny 300+ days a year LOL
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 18:53
I was shocked to hear tonight that Cleveland  traded Trent Richardson to Indy. They're trying out McGahee apparently but man Indy now has the first and third picks from that draft. In theory their offence should be set for years to come.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 19:37
Was it not indy giving up the draft pick?Now I see what you mean, duhLOL

Edited by timothy leary - September 18 2013 at 19:39
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 19:50
Damn.

Browns accepting the jags challenge to be the worst team in the league this year.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 20:39
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Was it not indy giving up the draft pick?Now I see what you mean, duhLOL

Cleveland will have 2 first round picks next year and apparently want to go in a different direction than with Richardson in the backfield. This could really come back to haunt them.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 20:41
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Damn.

Browns accepting the jags challenge to be the worst team in the league this year.

Not sure about that, especially if McGahee has anything left in the tank but maybe they're shooting for anther top three pick next draft. Oh to be a sports fan in Cleveland.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 22:31
Did they actually sign him?

And even still...trading your best offensive weapon for only one first round pick so early in the season seems like an odd move.

I imagine they will secure that top 3 spot.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 01:44
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

And even still...trading your best offensive weapon for only one first round pick so early in the season seems like an odd move.

This is incredible news and I had to read it twice to be sure it wasn't a hoax.  Trading your best offensive weapon and writing off the entire season before week 3?  Who does that?  I wouldn't want to be a player in that Browns locker room knowing your GM has just flushed your season down the tubes.  I thought the Browns were going to build on Richardson and begin a long overdue upswing.  Does Trent have some kind of serious attitude problem?  And they're bringing in McGahee?  I've watched him closely as a Bronco fan and he's a good back...if he can stay healthy.  Unbelievable.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 07:16

Still ridic that McGahee (and even more insane Turner) isn't on the Giants but yeah that is pretty nuts. Trent has been solid to pretty good on the Browns...quite sure his lackluster performance is mainly due to his team.

Well McGahee should still be a solid back even at his age, honestly I guess it works out. The team is in the sh*tter anyway, if McGahee is fine they are still in the sh*tter but had a back for the year, if he flops well...can it honestly be worse? Who knows what on Earth they were thinking. Made for great filler though!

Looking forward to tonights game. KC has a solid D, can they limite the Eagles? Or more so, can their efficient short passing game keep em off the field? Oh and Reid is back blah blah should be good
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 07:56
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I was shocked to hear tonight that Cleveland  traded Trent Richardson to Indy. They're trying out McGahee apparently but man Indy now has the first and third picks from that draft. In theory their offence should be set for years to come.

The trade makes perfect sense for both parties. It's ballsy, but it's smart I think.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 07:57
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Looking forward to tonights game. KC has a solid D, can they limite the Eagles? Or more so, can their efficient short passing game keep em off the field? Oh and Reid is back blah blah should be good

Pretty sure the Chiefs win easily. They just have more talent, especially on defense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 50>