FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Symphony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 08:33
I have Karajan/Vienna for the 8th.  Actually, I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on the Karajan/Berlin cycle, but want to sample more symphonies on Spotify first.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 10:23
Currently listening to Mahler's 1st, a 1979 live recording from Rafael Kubelik.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 11:58
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Currently listening to Mahler's 1st, a 1979 live recording from Rafael Kubelik.
Cool! I've been listening to a lot of Mahler lately, a real lot, and enjoying every note! I love the First Symphony, especially a recording I have from 1961 with Hans Rosbaud conducting. And then there's the Bruno Walter ones which are great, as well. Kubelik is great, too.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 12:35
I have to remember that 1979 is way too modern for you ;)

Any Mahler recordings from Mitropoulos that you enjoy?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 13:18
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I have to remember that 1979 is way too modern for you ;)

Any Mahler recordings from Mitropoulos that you enjoy?
Yes, I enjoy the Music and Arts set of symphonies 1,3,5,6,8,9,10 very much, the highlight being the 6th from 1959- I have yet to find a more gripping and emotional rendering of that symphony. My other fave Mitropoulos Mahler is the First from 1940, the first commercially available recording of The Titan; his sonorities are just right in that recording. 
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 17:30
My most new acquisition is Antonio Vivaldi's Symphony In B Minor (RV169), a Karajan's recording with BPO - I'm loving its strong intensity, and particularly the outstanding dark and somehow dramatic atmosphere of the Adagio movement instantly reminded me of the first movement (adagio-allegro non troppo-andante-moderato) of the awesome Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.6! I'm feeling that it fits so perfectly as a brilliant 'intro'  to Tchaikovsky's 6th, which is one of my beloved symphonies, especially the first and the last movement (adagio lamentoso-andante), intensely overwhelming.

Edited by Rick Robson - April 11 2015 at 20:16

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 16:06
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

My most new acquisition is Antonio Vivaldi's Symphony In B Minor (RV169), a Karajan's recording with BPO - I'm loving its strong intensity, and particularly the outstanding dark and somehow dramatic atmosphere of the Adagio movement instantly reminded me of the first movement (adagio-allegro non troppo-andante-moderato) of the awesome Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.6! I'm feeling that it fits so perfectly as a brilliant 'intro'  to Tchaikovsky's 6th, which is one of my beloved symphonies, especially the first and the last movement (adagio lamentoso-andante), intensely overwhelming.
A Symphony by Vivaldi-that is new to me, and interesting, to boot!
                        Ric, I also revere Tchaikovsky's 6th, it is so sublime and emotional! No wonder the composer felt it to be his greatest work. I greatly admire the recording of it by Ferenc Fricsay and the Berlin Philharmonic, as well as Pierre Monteux with the Boston Symphony.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 19:49
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

A Symphony by Vivaldi-that is new to me, and interesting, to boot!
                        Ric, I also revere Tchaikovsky's 6th, it is so sublime and emotional! No wonder the composer felt it to be his greatest work. I greatly admire the recording of it by Ferenc Fricsay and the Berlin Philharmonic, as well as Pierre Monteux with the Boston Symphony.

Didn't know that the 6th was his favourite... right on Doug, very emotional indeed, and its intensity and vividness does make it such a sublime symphony!

I'm looking forward to your suggestion of the great Ferenc Fricsay, and I'll be looking forward to his Beethoven cycle too, I read he was best known for these interpretations. I have his recording of Smetana's Ma vlast with the BPO - what a great delight!, I love that work.

So far other recoding available that I am about to acquire is the Tchaikovsky's 4th by Sir Thomas Beecham conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, I think you already have it too, as I've heard you talking very much and well about Beecham, a no-brainer recording of that symphony could we say?

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 20:41
^yeah, you can't go wrong with Sir Thomas-his Tchaikovsky 4 is a delight, as is his Tchaikovsky 5 recording from 1939.
            Been listening to a lot of Beecham recordings lately, Ric, and he is one of the most consistently excellent interpreters out there in recordings, especially his Richard Strauss, Delius, and Berlioz.

I love your signature quote and photo!

Edited by presdoug - April 15 2015 at 20:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 16:38
^Thank you Doug! Thumbs Up

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 23:28
William Schuman's 3rd Symphony is amazing.  I'm also enjoying discovering the symphonies of Roy Harris. 

Edited by brainstormer - April 21 2015 at 15:47
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 00:13
Clap

Love William Schuman's 3rd.  This performance is first rate!

Edited by Cailyn - April 21 2015 at 00:14
http://www.cailynmusic.com
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 19:31
I finally received my Bruckner Ninth conducted by Furtwangler in 1944.  I bought it from Pristine Audio and they listed it thusly:

Furtwängler, Berlin 1944: among the greatest Bruckner 9's ever The only known recording by Furtwängler sounding terrific in this XR remaster.

It is a great performance but it does NOT sound terrific.  Unfortunately, to my ears, it sounded old and bad.  There were audio dropouts and a complete lack of depth.  The louder parts, particularly the brass, were clearly distorted.  Perhaps some of you can tune this out but I can't. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 20:20
^I'm sorry that it did not work out for you. Never heard the Pristine Audio remaster, mine is Music and Arts. I thank you very much for giving it a try, though.
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 21:02
No need to be sorry Smile

I consider it an accepted risk with older recorded music.  Wish I had seen that performance live!
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 21:08
I should add that the Deutsche Grammophon recording of the Berliner Philharmoniker in 1975 conducted by Herbert von Karajan is a very acceptable second!  Probably the best recording and performance in the modern era bar none.  It is interesting listening to the differences in timing between Furtwangler and von Karajan.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 15:42
I myself just ordered this

and, I'll probably order the recent Rattle/BPO "complete" version, which I'm listening to now on Spotify.
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 20:37
The Rattle/BPO recording is very decent.  Still not fully convinced this symphony needs that finale (since I am so used to the 3 movements as a complete work) but this interpretation is formidable.  I have the Guilini/VP Bruckner 8th which I love.  I will be interested to hear what you think of his 9th.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 19:14
Originally posted by Cailyn Cailyn wrote:

Has anyone listened to the Bruckner 9th with the Berliner Philharmonic conducted by Simon Rattle?

I feel it is a solid, powerful rendition of this great work, better than most.  This performance includes a Finale written by Samale-Phillips-Cohrs-Mazzuca between 1983 and 2012 after extensive interpretation of Bruckner's notes and sketches.  I like it but still feel the 9th is fully complete in three movements.

Thoughts?
I have finally sampled it, and I must confess that it was ok, but just that. There is not enough anger in the music, it's missing "the white knuckle whiplash" approach of Furtwangler, Kabasta or the early Van Beinum recordings of the symphony. The finale is intriguing, but like you said, it  is fully complete in three movements. 
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 21:48
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Cailyn Cailyn wrote:

Has anyone listened to the Bruckner 9th with the Berliner Philharmonic conducted by Simon Rattle?

I have finally sampled it, and I must confess that it was ok, but just that. There is not enough anger in the music, it's missing "the white knuckle whiplash" approach of Furtwangler, Kabasta or the early Van Beinum recordings of the symphony. 

This is interesting because that's not what I listen for (and I'm not suggesting that there is a right way or a right thing to listen for).  That's one of the hallmarks of great music.  You are drawn to the anger in the music.  I am drawn to what seems like a mystical and otherworldly vision that Bruckner had.  Indeed it has all these things and then some.  Prog music is great but what Bruckner accomplished in this final work is far greater and grander than any prog music I've ever heard.  The depth of vision, the timelessness of it--I am in awe every time I listen. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>