FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Symphony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 10:51
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I would recommend Willan's 2nd Symphony. There are a couple of really good recordings of it done in Canada, one with the superb conductor Karel Ancerl and I think the Toronto Symphony (but haven't seen it on cd yet)
   and another recording on cd with Uri Mayer.
                          I will check out Langgaard on youtube.
I checked out some Langgaard on youtube. I quite like his 3rd Symphony, very beautiful and lyrical. I will be sampling others too. Thanks for the reference.
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 07:43

I would recommend Willan's 2nd Symphony. There are a couple of really good recordings of it done in Canada, one with the superb conductor Karel Ancerl and I think the Toronto Symphony (but haven't seen it on cd yet)
   and another recording on cd with Uri Mayer.
                          I will check out Langgaard on youtube.
I checked out some Langgaard on youtube. I quite like his 3rd Symphony, very beautiful and lyrical. I will be sampling others too. Thanks for the reference.
Glad to hear it.  Try to check out his 8th symphony if you get a chance.  Absolutely brilliant!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 10:10
just listened for the first time in ages, Testament's release of Richard Strauss conducts Strauss the Last Concerts-his recording of the Domestic Symphony is energetic and vital, with sensitively done passages, as well. Awesome!
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 16:19
The Three FANTASTIC Four !

Beethoven - Symphony Nº 4 (DG, BPO, Karajan, 1963)

Brahms - Symphony Nº. 4 (BPO, Karajan, 1978)

Bruckner - Symphony Nº 4 'Romantische' (BPO, Karajan, 1975):

By now these are my favourite 3B symphony composers (don't know Bach's any symphony yet, if there are) - with a special mention to the indeed rich and heartfelt melodies of the Beethoven's Fourth, which touches me even more deeply than the others, maybe because i've already listened to it a thousand times, but I'm sure it will always catch me that intense and sublime way... 

So much unique music to know... so much magically inspired compositions to experience... I'll be forever grateful to this magic world of the classical music...

Edited by Rick Robson - May 24 2014 at 15:12

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 16:50
^hey, right on, Ric! I love all those 4ths as well, my fave Beethoven 4th being with Willem Mengelberg, Brahms 4th with Carl Schuricht, and Bruckner's 4th with Hans Weisbach.
         Karajan is sure great with those works, too.Thumbs Up
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 13:01
Heard something for the first time, recently, that i an ecstatic and excited about-

Hermann Abendroth a Varsovie-German conductor doing Beethoven 3 and 7, and Mozart 40 live with the Warsaw Philharmonic-the performances are stunning!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 19:18
Here is one of the great symphonies ever, by the greatest interpreter ever.

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 19:29
I'm a huge classical fan. My favorite symphonists are Shostakovich, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Martinu, Elgar, Myaskovsky, W. Schuman, and Nielsen.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 20:39
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I'm a huge classical fan. My favorite symphonists are Shostakovich, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Martinu, Elgar, Myaskovsky, W. Schuman, and Nielsen.
Greetings, and welcome to the thread! What are some of your favorite symphony recordings? I've never heard Martinu or Myaskovsky. Have not heard much Nielsen or Vaughan Williams, and my favorite symphony composers  I've mentioned on the thread.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 07:07

Here is one of the great symphonies ever, by the greatest interpreter ever.

Absolutely right Doug ! Arturo Toscanini is a fantastic conductor whose works I must know better, and the Beethoven's 5th is indeed one of the greatest wonders ever created by a human being.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 11:25
I just heard a symphony recording, that has me so excited, it  is a  revelation! The recording being Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony conducted by Sir John Barbirolli with the Halle Orchestra recorded in 1959 on EMI. The recording is rivetting, and deeply moving-Barbiriolli does everything with it you can imaginably wish for, going very deep into the score.

Edited by presdoug - August 09 2014 at 11:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 16:34
There is another musician who deserves to be recalled here as one of the most prominent contemporary conductors:

His last cultural office was as the Artistic and Musical Director of the Orchestra Mozart, the recording below was released some days before his death on January 20th, and it was his last performance. At the time of this releasing it was being said that whenever Claudio Abbado and Martha Argerich made music performances together, something extraordinary happened! RIP Abbado!

Edited by Rick Robson - November 07 2014 at 16:35

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 04:31
Any Carl Nielsen fans? His 4th has a great first two movements, but it kind of lost the plot for me somewhere in the third. Needs another listen at least though.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 15:41
^I like the 4th. I have a great recording of it done by Sir John Barbirolli. Haven't heard it  for a long time, so it needs another listen here, too.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 20:25
Just heard for the first time, Karl Bohm's Beethoven's 9th, from 1972, first movement, it is noble and grand, and dramatic sounding. Though not in Toscanini's or Furtwangler's league.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 15:49

Just heard for the first time, Karl Bohm's Beethoven's 9th, from 1972, first movement, it is noble and grand, and dramatic sounding. Though not in Toscanini's or Furtwangler's league.

Wow!.. Awesome indeed!Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 16:05

Hey Doug, I've been so keen on Bruckner's music again... and as I told you, recently had acquired that Bruckner Symphony Nr.7 conducted by Karajan, so today I listened for the second time to the whole Bruckner Symphony Nr.7, oh man I'm glad to be already overwhelmed by another amazing travel through such profound emotions translated into an awesomely complex music!, as usual when it comes to Bruckner's music, such is the expressive power I find in his symphonies, often in such a stunningly dramatic form! 

Impressed too with the majestic second movement's groundbreaking melodies. It was unique the pleasing peace I felt after this awesome musical journey... to say the least., I'm very happy that another symphony of him is beginning to grow on me. Just can't wait to have my Bruckner 7th conducted by Knappertsbusch.Big smile

Finished today's Bruckner journey listening to the 8th and 5th, such an incredible strength I find in them!... What a groundbreaking way that the 5th starts!, these perhaps my favourites, or rather being honest I guess I have to listen to all of them a thousand times in order to know which are my favourite(s), not to say for finding the most subtle differences between recordings Wink.

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 16:37
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

vinyl Herbert Von Karajan conducted performance of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Night on Bald Mountain".
I think those are suites, pretty much like concept albums Big smile

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 16:55
I am not sure about the performers, as in orchestras, soloists and conductors, but here is my list:

Symphonie Fantastique - H. Berlioz
Ocean (No. 2) - A. Rubinstein
New World Symphony - A. Dvoržak
No. 3 - C. Saint-Saëns
No. 2 - J. Sibelius
Jazz Symphony in 3 movements - B. Trotsyuk (in a nod to Stravinsky, apparently)

(right here: https://www.gemm.com/store/VINYLUNIVERSE/item/ALL-UNION-RADIO-ESTRADA-SYMPHONY-ORCHESTRA-SILANTYEV-B-TROTSYUK-M-KAZHLAEV-I-STRAVINSKY-LP/1459572079)

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 20:04
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Hey Doug, I've been so keen on Bruckner's music again... and as I told you, recently had acquired that Bruckner Symphony Nr.7 conducted by Karajan, so today I listened for the second time to the whole Bruckner Symphony Nr.7, oh man I'm glad to be already overwhelmed by another amazing travel through such profound emotions translated into an awesomely complex music!, as usual when it comes to Bruckner's music, such is the expressive power I find in his symphonies, often in such a stunningly dramatic form! 

Impressed too with the majestic second movement's groundbreaking melodies. It was unique the pleasing peace I felt after this awesome musical journey... to say the least., I'm very happy that another symphony of him is beginning to grow on me. Just can't wait to have my Bruckner 7th conducted by Knappertsbusch.Big smile

Finished today's Bruckner journey listening to the 8th and 5th, such an incredible strength I find in them!... What a groundbreaking way that the 5th starts!, these perhaps my favourites, or rather being honest I guess I have to listen to all of them a thousand times in order to know which are my favourite(s), not to say for finding the most subtle differences between recordings Wink.

That is wonderful, Ric. I concurr with the interesting and insightful comments you make about the Master's works. Every time I hear a Bruckner Symphony recording, I, too, come away with something further.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>