Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 19:42
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Wow! I had not realized so clearly as now how the same symphony could sound SO different performed by different conductors and orchestras. Maybe differently for each listener, but I'm feeling really so glad after having another incredible experience when listening to Bruckner's 7th, man those such a beautiful and intense melodies sounded so clear and heartfelt in the recording of Knappertsbusch conducting the Wiener Philharmoniker!, so differently from the approach of Karajan's recording (with BPO) ... I'm stunned, especially the 3rd and 4th movements as a whole, but as well particularly the instruments individually played more intensely this majestic music.

Anyway, on the other hand I always loved Karajan's rather dramatic approach, sometimes more loudly too. I heard in a classical radio (Simfini) that the more well known recordings belong to the Historical Performances catalogue (as Knappertsbusch's), is that true Doug? Anyways I think these listening experiences can vary according to each listener, there are incredible amounts of subtle nuances that together can cause different impressions imo.

You are so right, Ric, how important is the interpretation, and how different they can be...Knappertsbusch has the sonorities of Bruckner's 7th down perfectly. I do like Karajan's Bruckner 7th, though, but as you point out it is a different thing, more lush and beautiful, but not quite so Germanic or Wagnerian as Knappertsbusch's approach.
                      That is interesting what you heard on the radio about Historical Performances being more well known; someone at progressiveears asserted that with me but I don't believe it. I have been told by more than one employee at Ottawa's premier Classical Music store (now out of business, unfortunately) that most people come in looking for "digital sound" and that sound quality is most important to most people. I think many still have this cliche image of older recordings as being "tinny and hard to appreciate". They don't know what they are missing in many cases.

Right  on, Doug, I didn't get all of what the conductor of the radio said about The Historical Performances, but it's more than clear for me too that they might be very especial indeed, to say the least, as it really is this one by Knappertsbusch, for me. I guess that in these performances they tried to reproduce the sounds that most fit to what the composers wanted to and to how they sounded at the time they composed it and performed by the orchestras of those times, don't you think so? You said it very well: people really don't know what they are missing!...

I think you have pointed out something important about these "old school" conductors. They were around when some of the composers they focused on lived (for example, the late Romantic ones); they either heard them conduct their own works, or knew directly people that did. And also probably got a chance to conduct actual orchestras that had been conducted by, let's say, Bruckner or Mahler or Wagner, to name a few. For example, Knappertsbusch was born in 1888, when Bruckner, Brahms, the Strauss's, and Sibelius and Tchaikovsky were still alive. (Wagner had just died in 1883) Composers like Elgar, Debussy, and Delius were alive but had not come into their own as composers yet. Conductors like Knappertsbusch sure lived through some vitally important and pivotal times in the music world. There were the horrors of 2 world wars during his lifetime, but he survived it all, and so did his great music making in his recordings.

I'm quite sure now that this is the point Doug, what an interesting matter, then Knappertsbusch was indeed a very lucky conductor to have lived through those times.

I would like so much to know which and how would have been Historical Performances of Beethoven's Symphonies... there perhaps would have been fewer of these, given that he died in 1827 - almost two hundred years ago. Besides I think that the actual sonourist qualities and characteristics of all the instruments of those times may have been even more different. Thus, I guess it's even harder to reproduce what Beethoven really wanted, of course without considering the detail that he was totally deaf when composed the 9th, fantastic Beethoven!, isn't it?

I googled for something about the Historical Performances but didn't find anything unfortunately.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 21:14
   I would like so much to know which and how would have been Historical Performances of Beethoven's Symphonies... there perhaps would have been fewer of these, given that he died in 1827 - almost two hundred years ago. Besides I think that the actual sonourist qualities and characteristics of all the instruments of those times may have been even more different. Thus, I guess it's even harder to reproduce what Beethoven really wanted, of course without considering the detail that he was totally deaf when composed the 9th, fantastic Beethoven!, isn't it?

Because Beethoven was deaf for much of his career, he wouldn't have been able to listen and provide feedback to the conductors performing his works on his wishes for his music.  For a more modern composer, Ralph Vaughan Williams, we know that Vaughan Williams worked directly with Sir Adrian Boult and for that reason, his interpretations of the works of RVW are considered the best and truest to the composer's intent.

As for older instruments, I have this series:

Christopher Hogwood with "The Academy of Ancient Music" the Nine Symphonies.  There is no way to know if these types of works are truly representative of the era but I must say I far prefer the performances on modern instruments.
http://www.cailynmusic.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 20:55
There are some great early Historical Performance recordings of Beethoven's symphonies, like on Naxos Historical label, the first set of Electrical Recordings made from the late 1920s with Hans Pfizner, Richard Strauss, Erich Kleiber, and Oskar Fried conducting that are exemplary. Also the first Beethoven Symphony 5 recordings with Friedrich Kark in 1910, and the famous Arthur Nikisch in 1913. Both are as if from another world in their atmosphere and orchestral texture. Don't miss them, Ric!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 21:13
Should we make another thread for piano concerti?  Wink

Van Cliburn plays Great Piano Concertos
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 21:32

There are some great early Historical Performance recordings of Beethoven's symphonies, like on Naxos Historical label, the first set of Electrical Recordings made from the late 1920s with Hans Pfizner, Richard Strauss, Erich Kleiber, and Oskar Fried conducting that are exemplary. Also the first Beethoven Symphony 5 recordings with Friedrich Kark in 1910, and the famous Arthur Nikisch in 1913. Both are as if from another world in their atmosphere and orchestral texture. Don't miss them, Ric!

Wow! Thanks a lot Doug! I'm gonna search for them ASAP.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 21:46
By coincidence I had finally found out that there are three other great conductors whose approach are very concerned with the Historical Performance practice: Carlos Kleiber, Karl Bohm, and Sir John Elliot Gardiner. And I'm so excited to find in Youtube their recordings of one of my most beloved symphonies - Beethoven's Symphony Nr. 5!  
Carlos Kleiber with the Wiener Philharmoniker Orchestra; Karl Bohm with the Wiener Philharmoniker Orchestra too; and John Elliot Gardiner with the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcAAA1O2sc&feature=player_detailpage (Carlos Kleiber w/ WPO - Beethoven's 5th Symphony)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG8NaaunGZs&feature=player_detailpage (Karl Bohm w/ WPO - Beethoven's 5th Symphony)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jUrd2WPmQfY (John Elliot Gardiner w/ ORR - Beethoven's 5th Symphony)

But listening to them, it's amazing for me how different they are also one from another, as I could feel right at the very begining of the 5th - it's quite clear the different tempos used, Sir John Elliot Gardiner's clearly faster than the others, Karl Bohm's perhaps the more dramatic for me, but I loved the texture and the strenght of the orchestra in the Carlos Kleiber's recording!

Something that I've been recently aware of and also very interesting to point out is that they differ from the school of conducting that really came about from Wagner, who said that if the artist feels spontaneously there can be a change in the tempo on the spur of the moment (maybe going faster maybe going slower) that is OK, even though it may be not marked in the score.

But there is another intriguing element - the metronome, invented around about the time that Beethoven was begining to write his symphonies (according to Wiki), and he was one of the very first to use it, writing a metronome indication for the start of the Fifth Symphony. The problem is that there are many people who believe that Beethoven did not understand how to use the metronome, and that the markings are incorrect, but Sir John Elliot Gardiner actually believes that the markings are correct. I've read that many of the great classical composers wrote quite a lot indications in their scores - this I guess, so far, is the only way that a composer's score can actually tell us how the music really can or should sound. A musician can imagine it in his head, but when it is performed things start to change, imo, and I think so it must be even when we hear recordings of composers themselves intepreting their own works on different occasions, they often could sound very different indeed.

However, personally what most amazes me when listening to these great performances is not just the matter of tempo, but also the pitch of the orchestra (which I found clearly lower in John E. Gardiner's recording) and the balance of the instruments changing the texture, color and my feeling of the music as a whole, what an awesome experience!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 21:10
Yes, it’s Beethoven’s Fifth again, even though the recording below is not what Beethoven had in mind, but perhaps he would have had 'a lot of fun' watching it LOL, and fun and entertainment is what this recording is all about. I agree that fun must be always present in the process of composing-playing-listening, but this is really one of the most odd ideas that the nowadays university students of composition are putting in practice. So, as it is so hard to find women conducting an orchestra, this woman's work is worth for its originality, but what a comic work too..  LOL, the first movement of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony played on a great variety of different and unusual instruments in what appears to be a one-woman orchestra:

The woman who created this highly unusual arrangement of the Beethoven’s famous symphony is Emily Wright, a fourth year composition student at Birmingham Conservatoire, tackling every one of the orchestral parts herself on quite a few "unorthodox" instruments. She told for the site frontiersmusic.org that a big inspiration for her "re-imagination" was Wendy Carlos' soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange, which has Beethoven played on synthesizers. There are for example sections with 3 bass guitars playing at once or baritone and sopranino saxophones with an ocarina and a vibraphone, a rather odd bunch of instruments, resulting even in a good mix of sections that sound good and very good, followed by some comically out of tune playing, I have never watched anything like this indeed.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 12:38
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Boy classical music thread... but why just symphony is OPERA`S...Clap
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 10:03
^hey, Ric, I was just listening to the Kleiber, Bohm, and Gardiner Beethoven 5ths, and wow, what diversity in approaches! I was really impressed with the Kleiber-first time I heard his approach-the orchestral texture and tempos work incredibly well, he is almost as good as Karajan! Very impressive.
          Bohm's recording is somewhat more Germanic and I like that. He doesn't have the ferocity of Furtwangler, but somehow he doesn't need it, a very convincing 5th all around.
               Sorry , but I did not like the Gardiner at all, it is not Germanic, and the way the sections connect with each other is a bit annoying.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 20:03
Yeah I felt Gardiner's a bit rough sounding at times throughout his recording, and a less vibrato sound too, maybe that rigidness is due to being the most concerned with that aforementioned practice, he always gives priority to being the most liable to how the music would sound in those Beethoven's times, especially when conducting the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique, it is a very different approach indeed. 

Unfortunately I didn't listen yet to Furtwangler's, but I'm going to listen to him on Youtube too, unfortunately I've got only his recording of Beethoven's Coriolan Overture with the Berliner Philharmoniker in 1943. But man.. you hit the spot about Furtwangler, incredible how fascinating is this recording! I get literally overwhelmed by its ferocity and strength... clearly more evident there than in Kurt Masur's recording with Gewandhausorchester Leipzig Orchestra, and also than in George Szell's recording with the Wiener Philharmoniker. And amazing how different are the tempos too, the slowliest Furtwangler's tempos gives it an even more tragic feel to this fantastic Beethoven's piece, and also fascinating how I felt the same differences when listening to their recordings of Beethoven's Egmont Overture - just listening to them again... how I love these Overtures! And those such a deep touching melodies there... I think that only just a few music composers like Beethoven usually manage to literally blow my mind so far away in such a wonderful trip.

I'm looking forward to purchase Karajan's recording of Beethoven's Complete Overtures. But returning to Wilhelm Furtwangler, his is so far my favourite recording, I've read that Furtwangler was very influenced by the school of conducting that came about from Wagner, maybe the reason for his different tempos compared to the other two recordings, but I love Szell's approach too and the orchestra texture, especially its vibrato. I think you already know, Doug, that George Szell is considered one of the twentieth century's greatest conductors, Szell studied composition with Eusebius Mandyczewski, a personal friend of Brahms. At age eleven, Szell began touring Europe as a pianist and composer, making his London debut at that age, Newspapers declared him "the next Mozart." Throughout his teenage years he performed with orchestras in this dual role, eventually making appearances as composer, pianist and conductor, as he did with the Berliner Philharmoniker at age seventeen. Szell credited Strauss as being a major influence on his conducting style, he was a close friend of Richard Strauss. When he still was a teenager, Strauss instantly recognized Szell's talent and was particularly impressed with how well he conducted Strauss's music. Strauss once said that he could die a happy man knowing that there was someone who performed his music so perfectly, Szell ended up conducting part of the world premiere recording of Don Juan for Strauss - this recording btw is an interesting fact to be told in details in the "Non Prog Obscure Facts" Wink

Edited by Rick Robson - March 22 2015 at 07:41

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 07:36
I've been listening to Karajan's recording of Beethoven 5th with the BPO (1963), right on Doug, it's surprising the Kleiber's recording resemblance with it, and forgot to say that your feelings about it match pretty much mine, great minds think alike Smile

Edited by Rick Robson - March 22 2015 at 07:37

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 16:45
^^Thanks Ric, for your always interesting input here.Thumbs Up
            I highly regard Szell as a conductor, and have his complete Beethoven Symphony Cycle, which is a delight, to say the least.
               Yeah, and as you pointed out with his Strauss connections, he is more than adept at Richard Strauss's music, as well. 
                   Ric, have you ever heard Mahler's 7th? It is turning out to be my favourite symphony of his, with Hermann Scherchen and Hans Rosbaud's recordings as shining examples.
                      Furtwangler in Beethoven-all I can say is Wow! Amazing, isn't it? His wartime Beethoven recordings are so in depth and probing, and you can sense his anger at what Germany was going through in being gripped by Nazism in the recordings themselves, as you can in his wartime Bruckner ones. The music is something noble amid the madness of Hitler.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 17:13

^^Thanks Ric, for your always interesting input here.Thumbs Up
            I highly regard Szell as a conductor, and have his complete Beethoven Symphony Cycle, which is a delight, to say the least.
               Yeah, and as you pointed out with his Strauss connections, he is more than adept at Richard Strauss's music, as well. 
                   Ric, have you ever heard Mahler's 7th? It is turning out to be my favourite symphony of his, with Hermann Scherchen and Hans Rosbaud's recordings as shining examples.
                      Furtwangler in Beethoven-all I can say is Wow! Amazing, isn't it? His wartime Beethoven recordings are so in depth and probing, and you can sense his anger at what Germany was going through in being gripped by Nazism in the recordings themselves, as you can in his wartime Bruckner ones. The music is something noble amid the madness of Hitler.

You are most welcome as always Doug, and your great suggestions too!

Unfortunately I've known only the majestic Mahler's 9th so far, but of course I am more then ever looking forward to listening to the 7th asap, I read your phrase about it, hope I'm lucky to find your recording recommendations.

I've always felt too that the horrors of the world wars caused much aflictions to the human beings, obviously reflected in every intelectual activity, including arts. I remember that Beethoven strongly repudiated the title given to his 5th Concerto, "Emperor", and it's told that he even said it to Napoleon face to face, destroying the whole score in front of him.

Edited by Rick Robson - March 22 2015 at 17:14

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 17:28
Wow, Beethoven met Napoleon face to face, and did that! What a powerful statement that was.
         There is film footage of Furtwangler, having shaken hands with Joseph Goebbels and then openly wiping his hand clean with a cloth immediately after. Another powerful and courageous statement.
                   It would be nice if art was able to totally divorce itself from politics, but I don't think it completely can. Still, figures like Beethoven and Furtwangler were at least part of the way there, with their courageous art and interpretation persevering.

Edited by presdoug - March 22 2015 at 17:31
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 18:31
Just to clarify the Beethoven story above, I've included some brief bits from Wikipedia below.  As far as I know, Beethoven never actually met Napolean. 

"Ludwig van Beethoven originally dedicated the third symphony to Napoleon Bonaparte, whom he believed embodied the democratic and anti-monarchical ideals (Liberty, Equality, Fraternity) of the French Revolution (1789–1799). In autumn of 1804, Beethoven withdrew his dedication of the third symphony to Napoleon, lest it cost the composer's fee paid him by a royal patron; so, Beethoven re-dedicated his third symphony to Prince Joseph Franz Maximilian Lobkowitz – nonetheless, despite such a bread-and-butter consideration, the politically idealistic Beethoven titled the work "Buonaparte".  Later, about the composer's response to Napoleon having proclaimed himself Emperor of the French (14 May 1804), Beethoven's secretary, Ferdinand Ries said that:

In writing this symphony, Beethoven had been thinking of Buonaparte, but Buonaparte while he was First Consul. At that time Beethoven had the highest esteem for him, and compared him to the greatest consuls of Ancient Rome. Not only I, but many of Beethoven's closer friends, saw this symphony on his table, beautifully copied in manuscript, with the word "Buonaparte" inscribed at the very top of the title-page and "Ludwig van Beethoven" at the very bottom ...

I was the first to tell him the news that Buonaparte had declared himself Emperor, whereupon he broke into a rage and exclaimed, "So he is no more than a common mortal! Now, too, he will tread under foot all the rights of Man, indulge only his ambition; now he will think himself superior to all men, become a tyrant!" Beethoven went to the table, seized the top of the title-page, tore it in half and threw it on the floor. The page had to be recopied, and it was only now that the symphony received the title Sinfonia Eroica."

And regarding the Emperor Concerto:

"The Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 73, by Ludwig van Beethoven, popularly known as the Emperor Concerto, was his last piano concerto. It was written between 1809 and 1811 in Vienna, and was dedicated to Archduke Rudolf, Beethoven's patron and pupil. The first performance took place on 28 November 1811 at the Gewandhaus in Leipzig under conductor Johann Philipp Christian Schulz, the soloist being Friedrich Schneider.  On 12 February 1812, Carl Czerny, another student of Beethoven's, gave the Vienna debut of this work.

The epithet of Emperor for this concerto was not Beethoven's own but was coined by Johann Baptist Cramer, the English publisher of the concerto.  Its duration is approximately forty minutes."

Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 23:27
Has anyone listened to the Bruckner 9th with the Berliner Philharmonic conducted by Simon Rattle?

I feel it is a solid, powerful rendition of this great work, better than most.  This performance includes a Finale written by Samale-Phillips-Cohrs-Mazzuca between 1983 and 2012 after extensive interpretation of Bruckner's notes and sketches.  I like it but still feel the 9th is fully complete in three movements.

Thoughts?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 11:27
I will definitely check that recording out, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm generally a fan of Rattle.

Also on my list, many people have listed Guilini with Vienna a "must have" for Bruckner 9.

Edited by Padraic - April 06 2015 at 11:35
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 11:46
^I will check out the Rattle, too, thanks.

I have heard the Guilini, and it is quite good.

The definitive, "real Bruckner's NInth" is Furtwangler's wartime recording from 1944. There is anger, but there is also spirituality. You have not really heard the symphony, until you have heard this.

Edited by presdoug - April 06 2015 at 11:49
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 22:23
I've not heard the Furtwangler recording from 1944 but I'm intrigued and I'll have to get a copy.

I do have the Giulini 8th, and I love it, but not the 9th.  My favorite version of the 9th is Herbert von Karajan with the Berlin Philharmonic.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>