Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Symphony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 17:00
I recieved this in the mail this week, and have already heard the 2nd, 6th, and 7th Symphonies and am VERY impressed. The greatest Historical Mahler Symphony Box set ever!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 09:46
I was going to say I have plenty of Mahler...but my obsession is so severe that I'll probably order that LOL

Also, I may be a convert to Celibidache's Bruckner (his later readings)....this 8th is transporting me to another dimension
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:26
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I was going to say I have plenty of Mahler...but my obsession is so severe that I'll probably order that LOL

Also, I may be a convert to Celibidache's Bruckner (his later readings)....this 8th is transporting me to another dimension
Believe you me, the Mahler symphony set is really worth it. Yeah, Celi's later Bruckner is quite something, though I don't like his earlier Bruckner recordings from the 70s.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 13:14
Current listening:

Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 13:31
Love Brahms Symphony 4 and this is my favorite recording:

http://www.cailynmusic.com
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 19:37
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Ric, have you ever heard Mahler's 7th? It is turning out to be my favourite symphony of his, with Hermann Scherchen and Hans Rosbaud's recordings as shining examples.      

Finally, this is proudly my most recent purchase:

Recently gave my long awaited first listening to Mahler's 7th, and sincerely speaking it was a delightful experience, thanks for the suggestion Doug! But just after the third listening I could sense much better every subtle passage of this indeed majestic symphony. The second Mahler's I knew (the first was the 9th Symphony), and I'm loving again its atmosphere, seductive reiteration of an increasing tension throughout the entire symphony!  Particularly fascinated by the 4th movement's so beautiful violin melodies, besides its more introspective and meditative spirit, a mood that I found even more intense in the 9th, though the latter was a more accessible symphony for me - especially the first and last movements which strike me the most, their intense melodies brought me out in goosebumps! Bruno Walter conducting role really impressed me, what a masterpiece is this recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eUKpw21ASc&feature=player_detailpage 

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 19:46
Been listening to the fantastic Wilhelm Furtwangler conducting the amazing Brahms Symphony Nš 3, I turned out literally overwhelmed man! Wow.. what an emotionally intense recording I found of him on Youtube... and then again, I feel there much stress in a slower pace than ever, resulting even more emotionally deeper than the Karajan recording with BPO, the only one I own unfortunately (so far.)

I listened also to a recording of Abbado conducting the same Orchestra (BPO), and I'm loving it too, some interesting differences found in comparison with Karajan's. Just to make it more clear, I put below the Youtube link of his recording of the stunning 3rd. movement - also featuring a more slower tempo, besides a more smooth flowing throughout the secondary melodies than Karajan's imo. On the other hand, I always loved the stronger prominence of the whole instruments in Karajan's, something usual of him, and the more vibrato too, well he is indeed amongst my most beloved conductors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DjdjZRiSog4 (Herbert Von Karajan)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=84FEMDX29Y8 (Karajan - 3rd. movement)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y30Sp-hoKsg (Wilhelm Furtwangler)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1trE3ms3AGo  (Wilhelm - 3rd. movement)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lVsq8aACNfg  (Claudio Abbado - 3rd. movement)

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 20:16
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Ric, have you ever heard Mahler's 7th? It is turning out to be my favourite symphony of his, with Hermann Scherchen and Hans Rosbaud's recordings as shining examples.      

Finally, this is proudly my most recent purchase:

That's one of the better ones.  Abbado with the BPO is also very good.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 21:54
I've been finding out very interesting recordings on Youtube, enjoyed pretty much also this Mahler's 7th recording, James Levine with the CSO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYvcfljC54

What a good performance really... My first time listening to this conductor, I had read that he is a great Mahlerian, is that right?

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 13:59
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

I've been finding out very interesting recordings on Youtube, enjoyed pretty much also this Mahler's 7th recording, James Levine with the CSO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYvcfljC54

What a good performance really... My first time listening to this conductor, I had read that he is a great Mahlerian, is that right?

Ah...you've actually stumbled upon my favorite 7th.

Levine is a great conductor period, but since he has been at the Met forever and is best known for conducting opera, he is often overlooked in the many orchestral works he has conducted over the decades.  His Mahler readings are on the whole very good - I believe his 4th is among the best out there as well.  I still don't quite put him on the level of Bernstein or Tennstedt but he is only a shade below.  He has a relatively inexpensive Mahler cycle available, unfortunately it is incomplete - missing the 2nd and 8th.

Oh, I have to add - Levine's 9th is also excellent.  Any serious fan of Mahler should have the above in their collection, IMHO.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 16:45
^Glad to hear you are exploring Mahler's 7th, Ric. I also really admire Otto Klemperer's studio account which is slow, but never drags.
           Bruno Walter is so good with Mahler, and his late 1950s studio recording of the 9th is well worth your time, as well. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 16:47
^Patrick, I will check out that Levine Mahler set.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 16:49
Hey, guys, I came across a youtube rare recording of Sir Thomas Beecham doing Brahm's 3rd, it is really gutsy, and emotional. Highly recommended.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 20:23
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Ah...you've actually stumbled upon my favorite 7th.

Levine is a great conductor period, but since he has been at the Met forever and is best known for conducting opera, he is often overlooked in the many orchestral works he has conducted over the decades.  His Mahler readings are on the whole very good - I believe his 4th is among the best out there as well.  I still don't quite put him on the level of Bernstein or Tennstedt but he is only a shade below.  He has a relatively inexpensive Mahler cycle available, unfortunately it is incomplete - missing the 2nd and 8th.

Oh, I have to add - Levine's 9th is also excellent.  Any serious fan of Mahler should have the above in their collection, IMHO.

Interesting data about James Levine, and this 10 CD Set is already on my wishlist, thanks!

Edited by Rick Robson - June 25 2015 at 20:24

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 20:34

^Glad to hear you are exploring Mahler's 7th, Ric. I also really admire Otto Klemperer's studio account which is slow, but never drags.
           Bruno Walter is so good with Mahler, and his late 1950s studio recording of the 9th is well worth your time, as well. 

Yeah this Bruno Walter recording still is on my wishlist since when you suggested it for the first time.

Otto Klemperer has been mentioned quite a lot in this thread Doug, and I'm looking forward to him as well, btw you mean his studio recording timings as being slow, I guess. Maybe it's just me, but as you already know: depending on the movement passage being performed I have been reckoning that whenever an interpreter manages uniquely to explore slower timings than those written in the score he has gotten the chance to explore an even more dramatic, emotional approach.. it's how I just told that I personally felt about Furtwangler doing Brahms' 3rd, his recording turned out for me the most energetic performance of Brahms, and he has turned out to be one of my favourite conductors, I'm now looking forward to his interpretation of the 2nd. And will look for that Thomas Beecham's on Youtube too Smile

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 12:59
^I did some listening and comparing with those Brahm's 3rd recordings you posted, Ric.
          The orchestral texture sure is different. Karajan's vision is more cohesive, overall, and has a great unified approach. I like Furtwangler's approach more, though, as his texture is a deeper look into the striking changes going on in the orchestra during the unfolding of things.
                I'm sorry, but the Abbado does not really appeal to me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 18:34
Clap  exactly my thoughts! And delightful that so vivid approach of Furtwangler's on those striking irruptions of climax through the movements, awesome!
And yeah that Abbado's recording is not in the same league of them for me too..

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 21:10
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 08:11
I just heard this wonderful version of Bruckner's 8th, done live by Klemp in 1964, highly recommended!

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 11:52
I don't really know a lot of symphonies. Actually I just don't know much music at all, but I guess it's just my age (15) being the main reason, because I'm wanting to learn a lot more music including digging some classic classical symphonies. Though what I could recommend is the new composer Christopher Tin. He writes classical crossover albums for orchestra and choir (in ancient languages). Made just 2 of 'em, but really worth some good listens. It's a sound I instantly fell in love with!
His first album "Calling All Dawns" is the easiest to get into, including his (by far) most popular track "Baba Yetu", but IMO not quite his best one though.
The second "The Drop That Contained the Sea" album is more... mysterious, but also more complicated and needs more listens to appreciate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>