Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 35>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 20:28
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 01:40
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Week 3.
What's so special about "Selling England By The Pound"?

3-4 amazing tracks (counting Aisle of Plenty which is barely a stand alone track its so short)
1 good track - After The Ordeal
3 mediocre tracks including Battle Of Epping Forest

I think it has some of the most beautifull moments in prog ever but overall I don't believe its as consistent as Foxtrot which I prefer. In general I've always had a bit of a love hate relationshio with Gabriel era Genesis. A lot of it flies over my head and was a just a tad too much up its own bum for its own good. After Gabriel left I feel the band became much a more powerfull unit and Collins traditional vocals works better for me.I don't mind a bit of pop.Tongue
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 05:37

Week 3.
What's so special about "Selling England By The Pound"?

I can only say that it's like a gateway album for prog Genesis.  It is the album that lots of prog listeners that are not hardcore Genesis fans prefer.  Somewhat like WYWH.  I do like both albums but they are not the ones I like most from both bands.  I prefer Lamb Lies/Foxtrot for Genesis and Meddle/DSOTM for PF.  
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 07:49
More Fool Me is one of the best tracks on the album. I probably love it more that Cinema Show.
H. Siedler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 15:41
I think it is the definition of "symphonic progressive rock". It's complex, beautiful and it works. Lots of progressive bands are close to pop rock, but these guys give them a punch on the face! Here is the special thing: the song get stuck on your mind, although it is far from pop songs.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 10:53
What's so special about "Dark Side Of The Moon"?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 14:19
It's special. I have a wonderful demonstration but there's too few space here to write it down Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 14:42
Special for its commercial impact and strong conceptual nature. Doesn't do it for me musically nearly as much as most other albums I can think of off-hand, but still a 4-star in my book. Nothing inherently bad about it. I think it's definitely a milestone album in terms of influence and historical significance for both prog as a whole and music in general.
Cirrusminor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 15:30
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I apply the following to all pieces of music:

Don't expect one group of people to understand and appreciate what the other group enjoys. Some people like it for one subset of things, others like it for another subset of things. Don't try to figure out this mystery. If you are really interested in this kind of things, study sociomusicology. Otherwise, would you like to discuss it in clinical terms (merits)? Because I personally don't care for the terms themselves. I can't explain why I really like the chorus to GG's "So Sincere". And we have a word for it that lets us off so easily in many discussions - subtlety. "I don't know what it is that I love about it; it's just so subtle!"

I guess all I'm saying is that you are asking for an answer that is perchance beyond the scope of a thread. Don't try to figure it out. If it doesn't work for ya, then it doesn't work for ya. Let it go or try again later. In my view music is about experience, not the formulaic music theory itself.

First, let me highlight this excellent post. Pure truth for me.
That said, coming to Selling England: Tony's keys in Cinema Show, Steve's solo in Firth of Fifth, Peter's brilliance in Epping Forest. Three giant pillars of prog, take just one and it would be enough to make this album immortal. Even if the album is no flawless, silliness turns up here and here.
And the coda to FOF, the river of constant change... small tears spent every time, huggermugger, for the years that are gone.

Edited by Cirrusminor - September 10 2013 at 15:33
Nous sommes du Soleil
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 15:31
One of my favorite albums ever. It made use of stereo to fill the sonic space, something that had not previously been accomplished. The album was something way bigger than the 10 tracks of which it was comprised.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 15:31
oh, sorry, I was late for SEBTP
Nous sommes du Soleil
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 18:47
Great album indeed... it all just flows perfectly and it's better to be listened to as a whole. There are some songs that I don't like so much, but even "On the Run" is essential to the album and just can't be skipped. And even though it may not have such great higlights as "Shine on You Crazy Diamond", "Echoes" or "Dogs", once again, every song is made better just because it's part of the album. Indeed a case of "The whole is better than the sum of it's parts". Also, the lyrics are just awsome, some of the best concepts Waters ever came up with, and the band seem to have been at it's collaborative peak. All that Pink Floyd did before this album was just the preparation for this album.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 23:28
I rarely listen to DSOTM anymore, but there were several things that made it special, fresh, and unique in 1973.  The songs about madness with the barely audible voices buried in the mix.  The use of the cash register, alarm clocks, and other everyday objects tied into the songs...years before anyone had even imagined samplers.  The synth sequencer in "On the Run".  The cool ending piece ("All that you touch...") which isn't really a song as much as a thematic close to a film.  This was all new ground in '73...is it still special today?  I think so though it's a little worn around the edges from over exposure.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 11:09

What's so special about "Dark Side Of The Moon"?

Wouldn't even know where to start.  The bold simplicity, the dark, bitter emotions, lyrics that are both topical and timeless depending on how you read them and the sheer variety of sounds put together for the album.   
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 11:35
The drum solo on comfortably numb
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 12:27
Am I wrong or On The Run, The Great Gig In The Sky and Any Colour You Like are the last instrumentals released by PF if we don't consider the intro tracks of the last two albums?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 13:42
Dark Side isn't a bad album, but maybe a little overrated (its quite difficult not to be when its sold almost 50 million). The atmosphere and the themes are just excellent though and I couldn't picture a prog collection without it
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 14:12
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

One of my favorite albums ever. It made use of stereo to fill the sonic space, something that had not previously been accomplished. The album was something way bigger than the 10 tracks of which it was comprised.

I simply don't believe the claim in that statement I have highlighted. You would need to explain that to me. Why would it be such a leap from say what ELP were doing on Tarkus a couple of years earlier?

For me its a collection of good songs that were commercial enough to draw in those that didn't want anything too experimental. There is that with brilliant but simple album cover that suggested something very deep and intellectual. Conceptually it was broad enough to survive scrutiny and not too clever that it would fly over peoples heads.

On The Run was the only real stab at anything that I would regard as experimentation. However electronic innovation in music was already well under way especially when you consider Pete Townsend's Lighthouse Project and Tangerine Dream and the other German pioneers.It wasn't that new.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 15:42
Us And Them. To me it means the first slow dancing with a girl. Then, disco music burst in, bye-bye. "Gone, but not forgotten".
More seriously: I don't consider Dark Side a prog album, it's a splendid, heavily psychedelic tinged pop opus. PF's last prog album was More, and just for Echoes.
Nous sommes du Soleil
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 16:29
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The drum solo on comfortably numb

LOL
Seriously: DSotM stands out because it’s extremely well crafted and very consistent, it has several outstanding tracks (my favourites being Time, The Great Gig in the Sky, Us and Them and Brain Damage) and very good lyrics. It may not be the most progressive album in history, but I would definitely give it five stars.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 35>