Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 35>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 10:27
^ sorry did not mean to derail the thread.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:07
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

I don't think you derailed anything.......the thread bounces, after everyone gets their licks in,  from one well known/well liked  lp to the next.

I'm too lazy to read thru the last 10 pages to see if it  was mentioned , but I was going to ask what's so special about Yes-TFTO.
Embarrassed

Edited by dr wu23 - September 26 2013 at 16:10
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:17
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

His solo stuff is better than a lot of PT output.

But I think we're supposed to discuss BSS
BSS and ELP have been discussed to death on the forum......but then I suppose the same can be aid about Wilson and PT.

Wink

Right now, Keith Emerson is grasping his chest, his doctor fuming about those effing prog fans discussing his client to death.
Well...his client should have died before releasing Love Beach.

Wink
I think ELP released Love Beach for their own health.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:22

BSS and ELP have been discussed to death on the forum......but then I suppose the same can be aid about Wilson and PT.

Wink

Right now, Keith Emerson is grasping his chest, his doctor fuming about those effing prog fans discussing his client to death.

Wink
And that would be their financial health.
Wink
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:30

Wink

Wink
And that would be their financial health.
Wink
It was probably nice to get some sun for a change too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 07:47

I don't think you derailed anything.......the thread bounces, after everyone gets their licks in,  from one well known/well liked  lp to the next.

I'm too lazy to read thru the last 10 pages to see if it  was mentioned , but I was going to ask what's so special about Yes-TFTO.
Embarrassed

We'll get to that eventually - possibly after Relayer or Fragile?
I've just updated the first post on page 1 with a list of which albums have been discussed.  It'll come in very useful if this becomes an extremely lengthy topic.

Edited by Stool Man - September 27 2013 at 07:55
rotten hound of the burnie crew
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 09:57
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Embarrassed

We'll get to that eventually - possibly after Relayer or Fragile?
I've just updated the first post on page 1 with a list of which albums have been discussed.  It'll come in very useful if this becomes an extremely lengthy topic.
Ok then.....thanks for that.
Cool
Haquin
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 10:59
what's so special about Godbluff?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 14:09

Dude, I'm always jumping at the chance to be as obnoxious as possible in heaping praise upon this critical achievement in music history! I love this album so much.

Fanboy outburst aside, it's one of the most emotional, intriguing, and texturally rich albums I've ever heard. It's the pinnacle example of an album in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, but each part alone is already a masterpiece in its own right. The playing is both technically stunning and emotionally inspired. The lyrics are smart, thought-provoking, and even heart-wrenching at times with their imagery. The music compliments them so well too. Even the sounds of the instruments themselves do wonders to enhance the listening experience. There is not a single flaw or low point on the entire album.

In short, it's a dark, abrasive listen, but one that sports the best balance of evolution and diversity in any album I've ever heard. It's a monumental offering from my personal favorite prog group. Red may still be my favorite album, but Godbluff is still perfect too and a ridiculously close second.

refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 15:52
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Dude, I'm always jumping at the chance to be as obnoxious as possible in heaping praise upon this critical achievement in music history! I love this album so much.

Fanboy outburst aside, it's one of the most emotional, intriguing, and texturally rich albums I've ever heard. It's the pinnacle example of an album in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, but each part alone is already a masterpiece in its own right. The playing is both technically stunning and emotionally inspired. The lyrics are smart, thought-provoking, and even heart-wrenching at times with their imagery. The music compliments them so well too. Even the sounds of the instruments themselves do wonders to enhance the listening experience. There is not a single flaw or low point on the entire album.

In short, it's a dark, abrasive listen, but one that sports the best balance of evolution and diversity in any album I've ever heard. It's a monumental offering from my personal favorite prog group. Red may still be my favorite album, but Godbluff is still perfect too and a ridiculously close second.

Clap
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 23:15
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

what's so special about Godbluff?

Wait a minute...I thought you implied we were doing more Yes albums.....

oh....and there is nothing special about Godbluff.....and Hammil can't sing his way out of a paper bag.

Wink
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 23:17

Just curious...but have you ever had your hearing checked by a competent audiologist.
Smile
Haquin
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 23:17
Another album I don't know anything about.... The only thing I have of VdGG is a compilation. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 00:13

Just curious...but have you ever had your hearing checked by a competent audiologist.
Smile

The central caveat of music appreciation is remembering that subjectivity reigns supreme Wink

My hearing is totally functional. I just love his style Tongue Totally aware though that it's polarizing and don't question the taste of people on the other side of the fence. I just admire the fact that he and the pand are powerful enough to warrant such strong opinions, good or bad. The worst fate that can befall any work of art in my book is complete and total indifference. Then it's insignificant.

Of course I just gave an argument why Godbluff and VDGG are plenty special, whether you like them or not Wink

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 00:59
I think what's so special about Godbluff is that after a 3 year hiatus, VDGG came back with a completely different statement of what it meant to be a prog band in the mid 70's.  The band came back with a much harder edge.  Hugh Banton traded his reverb drenched cathedral organ sounds for a nasty, in your face electronic organ tone.  Guy Evans leaned more rock than jazz.  Jaxon was about the same (completely insane).  And PH, what happened to him in those 3 years?  He cut all his hair off, dropped the lyrics about emporers and lighthouse keepers and just went for the throat with a raw vocal style no one thought he could pull off.  His smooth high falsetto sounded even more angelic compared with his guttural growls.  I think Godbluff was the 1st prog album of it's time - maybe the only one - to incorporate angry punk sensibilities in a 10+ minute song format.  It's a masterpiece.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 01:35
I've only had Godbluff for about 3 months but the organ sound is what stands out for me.. and perhaps also the drumming. Hammill sounds his usual demented self which will scare old ladies and small children. Overall its pretty decent to my ears but I can't wax lyrical about it just yet.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 09:54

Smile

The central caveat of music appreciation is remembering that subjectivity reigns supreme Wink

My hearing is totally functional. I just love his style Tongue Totally aware though that it's polarizing and don't question the taste of people on the other side of the fence. I just admire the fact that he and the pand are powerful enough to warrant such strong opinions, good or bad. The worst fate that can befall any work of art in my book is complete and total indifference. Then it's insignificant.

Of course I just gave an argument why Godbluff and VDGG are plenty special, whether you like them or not Wink

And he gave no argument to the contrary other than to question your ears, lame. That is why these threads usually devolve into ignorance.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 11:50

Smile

I understand and I was just 'taking the piss' as the Brits would say.
I like the music by VDGG, it's just Hammil's vocals that bother me.
Smile
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 11:53

Smile

And he gave no argument to the contrary other than to question your ears, lame. That is why these threads usually devolve into ignorance.
Argument to the contrary....? Ignorance...? 
You are starting to sound like our resident  board curmudgeon.
Wink
btw.....as I pointed out I was poking the bear.

Haquin
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 13:27
I played Scorched Earth for a young drummer who had never heard VdGG before, and what really impressed him was they way they were playing for the band as a whole. If you love flashy solos, there are plenty of other bands you can listen to.

If I’m not mistaken, VdGG performed these four outstanding songs live several times before they recorded the album. That’s probably a good idea; they sound tight and confident from the first whisper to the last wailing.

To my ears Godbluff is close to perfection. And my hearing isn’t that bad; at least I can still hear the cicadas.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 35>