Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

what's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293031
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what's so special about...
    Posted: April 15 2014 at 19:37
Originally posted by Chris S

Originally posted by Mirror Image

I never understood the big attraction to The Moody Blues. I mean they've had a few nice songs, but I just can't place them on the same plateau as Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, or Pink Floyd.

Know what you mean, but can't deny their early influence

Sure, I mean in some circles I'll wager Days of Future Passed is revered. I mean Nights In White Satin is a beautiful song. Love that one to pieces, but I have a foggy recollection of the rest of the music on that album. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 22:39
It was special for the late 60's...after 5 -10 years or so not as much since it was 'overshadowed' by more complex and dynamic albums,  but Tuesday Afternoon and Nights In White Satin are two of the best things they ever did and two of the best early prog songs ever written imho.
Et In Arcadia Ego
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 01:36
Question is the only thing by the Moodies that I love. I did have a copy of Days Of Future Passed and but for the two tracks mentioned above there was little to get your teeth into. That said it was an important move forward by recording a band with an orchestra.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 10:09
I discovered "Days Of Future Passed  in 68' at age 12. I had my eye open for any British Invasion band that was turning Psychedelic or in the case of the Moodies..Progressive. The start of change began toward the end of 65' and filtered it's way heavily through 66'. I was a late bloomer, discovering it in 68" ...but it was rather difficult at age 12 to keep up with the times in music without transportation. I loved certain sections of the album and unfortunately for me...I struggled with it. I love how Justin Hayward walked into a field ..sat down..and wrote "Tuesday Afternoon". Some people define this as experimentation , but I consider it a practice. Many early proggers were doing this sort of thing and as a result we had timeless music. The creation of work itself and the concept influenced/inspired.. tons of bands/solo artists globally to travel the same path , but attempt to express their work with even more uniqueness. It's a very important work because of that. That can't be denied and it goes down in history as a very innovative creation in Rock music. As then, it was known/labeled as Rock music while the Progressive Rock movement was evolving.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293031