Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

what's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what's so special about...
    Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:01
Think it's the very presence of such a sound in that decade that a lot of people react to, positively.  Beyond the sound, though, the compositional substance is not very alluring.  As you said, the constant and seemingly unrelated shifts end up making it difficult to sit through.  Cert1fied covered the rough gist of my views in his review, have similar thoughts on the album.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:57
Originally posted by rogerthat

Think it's the very presence of such a sound in that decade that a lot of people react to, positively.  Beyond the sound, though, the compositional substance is not very alluring.  As you said, the constant and seemingly unrelated shifts end up making it difficult to sit through.  Cert1fied covered the rough gist of my views in his review, have similar thoughts on the album.

I agree with that .....and I have always thought they were a bit overrated (not to get into a ratings argument. again on PA..)
I like the overall sound but often their songwriting just doesn't do a lot for me.
Et In Arcadia Ego
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 00:28
Atmosphere and the general tension in the music. It does have it roots in early seventies symph rock but then the only album its remotely like is Trespass from what I've heard. The band get a few extra kudos for being the first to emerge from the embryonic Scandinavian prog rock scene that included Anekdoten, Par Lindh and The Flower Kings. So its sort of an In The Court Of The Crimson King for the 90's. Its also respected a lot for helping reboot traditional symphonic prog rock. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435