Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 35>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 23:11
I think it's very special because I love almost all the sections TAAB moves through...I think the 1st half and the drum solo is really strong...all the way up to the "Do you believe in the day" part, that's where I think it really bogs down for a few minutes.  But when it gets back on track and builds to the "So come all ye childhood heroes" refrain which ties the two halves together, all is forgiven Wink

That being said, Passion Play is my fave JT album Thumbs Up
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 23:28
Would if be bad if i said nothing for the second time? 

I get so bored listening to it. 

Edited by Horizons - August 26 2013 at 23:28
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 11:59
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

ok, another week, another album.

What's so special about "Thick As A Brick"?

It's the first rock album with only one song on it.

Lazy b*****ds.
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 18:56
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I think it's overrated,a 3-stars albumbut of course it's just my opinion. It would have been a great 20-25 minutes epic but extending it to fit a LP has partially ruined it. It's better than TAAB 2 (I've seen JT live few months ago playing the two albums) but I think it contains too many fillers. I prefer the shortened version on Bursting Out. 
My fav JT album is Aqualung

Agree to an extent with your views, though I would rate it four stars.  What makes it special is the riff.  That is simply irresistible. But it's simply not enough for a 40-plus minute track.   TAAB ultimately lacks musical development to match its ambition.  

Yes, it could be a 4-stars album. The non-filler parts are excellent.

Mostly I agree with this too. Most of the greatness of the album is represented at the "Live Bursting Out" version... plus about 8 min of the second side which I happent to love too. But it's got lot's of parts that I don't really like so much, or feel kind of out of place. Perhaps if he had used about the same music, but didn't go out of his way to make it 1 song all around it would have worked better for me. Perhaps a 13 min song (just as arranged on Bursting Out... or almost), some other 8 min song from the second side, plus several other shorter songs using the rest of the music from the album.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 19:47
T.A.A.B is difficult for me to digest in the present, but with the right mood swing or state of mind, I might enjoy it once again. Maybe if I were trapped in the house during a snow blizzard...T.A.A.B. would flow nicely with a few glasses of wine. Many classic prog albums of the past feel very special until you have performed them live with a tribute band ..playing the pieces note for note for years with other band members and growing sick and tired  ..arriving to a point in life where you attempt to squeeze out every obscure prog album that doesn't emulate it for the sake of feeling jaded. One person I know told me he would never become a serious musician because after years of devotion he might hate all the music he originally loved listening to. `What can be done and is there a solution? I move on to other styles of music like John Cage, Art Zoyd, Far Corner, Univers Zero and find some enjoyment. But with Zappa's Roxy and Elsewhere I have difficulties listening because I've been playing along with those pieces for years. It is a nightmare and it does happen in the life of a musician often. ...which explains why some devoted musicians in prog bands listen more to music from other cultures than progressive rock itself.

Edited by TODDLER - August 27 2013 at 19:49
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 21:34
'Sokay. Not "special," but not bad, either.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 22:50
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

T.A.A.B is difficult for me to digest in the present, but with the right mood swing or state of mind, I might enjoy it once again. Maybe if I were trapped in the house during a snow blizzard...T.A.A.B. would flow nicely with a few glasses of wine. Many classic prog albums of the past feel very special until you have performed them live with a tribute band ..playing the pieces note for note for years with other band members and growing sick and tired  ..arriving to a point in life where you attempt to squeeze out every obscure prog album that doesn't emulate it for the sake of feeling jaded. One person I know told me he would never become a serious musician because after years of devotion he might hate all the music he originally loved listening to. `What can be done and is there a solution? I move on to other styles of music like John Cage, Art Zoyd, Far Corner, Univers Zero and find some enjoyment. But with Zappa's Roxy and Elsewhere I have difficulties listening because I've been playing along with those pieces for years. It is a nightmare and it does happen in the life of a musician often. ...which explains why some devoted musicians in prog bands listen more to music from other cultures than progressive rock itself.

Sometimes learning a long loved classic prog song ruins it because it strips the magic and mystery out of it Wink
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 23:01
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Sometimes learning a long loved classic prog song ruins it because it strips the magic and mystery out of it Wink
very true.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 00:26
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

ok, another week, another album.
What's so special about "Thick As A Brick"?

Another beacon of what prog rock was/can be/etc, for better or worse.

IMO it's for the better.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 01:39
Its fun
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 04:07
I like the 'Really Don't Mind' part and the humor n' wit of the newspaper thing. There are a few good moments scattered here and there, but much of the rest of TAAB doesn't really do anything for me. 
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 05:40
Week 3.
What's so special about "Selling England By The Pound"?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 05:48
I dono.
Its like a beautiful women, its looks good, its smells great, it tastes wonderful.

Edited by tamijo - September 03 2013 at 05:48
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 08:48
Absolutely nothing for me. My fav song on that album is the one the fans like less: The Battle Of Epping Forest.
I know what I like and I don't like that song...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 10:49
Yes...I know we are onto Selling England....but as far as TAAB, imo it should have been shortened to one side and then other songs on the second side.

As far as Selling....I think the whole thing works-4 stars- except for the 'love song' by Collins  It always ruined the overall feel/flow of the album for me.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 03 2013 at 10:50
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 21:36
This is my very favourite Genesis album, with three majestic songs that truly suport the weight of the whole album (Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Firth of Fifth, and Cinema Show... three of the very best songs they ever did, along with Musical Box and Supper's Ready). Unfortunatley it also has one song dragging this album down, the very Battle of Epping Forest (I really dislike the "humorous" songs from Genesis, they end up being rather annoying). The Collins song is also rather weak, but rather short and not particularly disturbing.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 22:05
Ugh. To me, it's like the epitome of tedium.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 23:09
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As far as Selling....I think the whole thing works-4 stars- except for the 'love song' by Collins  It always ruined the overall feel/flow of the album for me.

^ this and also I find "I Know What I Like" to be incredibly boring and tedious.  I also love Epping Forest especially the "They call me the Reverend..." section with all the silly voices...back in the 70's one of the guys in our circle of prog friends was named Robert so of course he became known as "Bob the Nob" Wink
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 01:31
Love SEBTP however it doesn't surpass "Foxtrot" imo which for me is the peak of the Genesis albums. The way I see it there are no weak spots or holes in "Foxtrot" where there a a few on SEBTP (for example the Collins Love Song which pointed the way that later Genesis efforts would take. 
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 01:41

SEBTP is an album that I go back and forth on... I love half of the album, but the rest fluctuates regularly. The Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth are masterpiece tracks, all day, every day. Dance with the Moonlit Knight is also probably up there. The shorter ones are nice with varying degrees of quality, some better (After the Ordeal) than others (More Fool Me). Here's the stumper... The Battle of Epping Forest.

I honestly have heard that track many times and still for the life of me cannot decide how I feel about it. Heck, it was easier for me to form an opinion on such stumpers as Discipline's Into the Dream and Riverside's Hybrid Times, and those are musical mind-f***s. The kicker with this track for me, however, is the interruption posed by the B section where the meter, melody, instrumentation, and even story morph into something distantly related from the preceding and following material. I'm just not sold on that B section... I love the keyboard solos; Tony Banks's tone is unworldly and marvelous. I just don't know how to assess it as it seems so disjointed on such a large scale.

Edited by Neo-Romantic - September 04 2013 at 01:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 35>