Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 35>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 08:05
Trollllll!!!!!
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 08:57
Starless is the ultimate track from the last KC incarnation, thats what special about RED.
RED also may be seen as the "heavy rock" album, and in that context it may have been one of the building stones
on the evolution that would one day melt Prog and Metal/Heavy, into what we have got today.
(Back then most people would consider Prog and Heavy to be in opposition.)

NB: As an album, Larks Tounge's is actualy the Masterpiece (of all the Masterpieces) from this period. 

Edited by tamijo - September 16 2013 at 09:05
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 09:23
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Trollllll!!!!!

You better believe it honey!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 10:17

I could spend a lifetime talking about why I love this album and why it's a towering musical accomplishment, but I'll keep it succinct: Not only is it an iconic example of stellar playing by top-notch musicians, but it's the pinnacle example of a dark, complex album with heart and soul on overdrive all the way through. You feel things. You go places. You live. All the while, the needle is in the red. That's the point.

And it has Starless. In my opinion, it's the best song ever.

Edited by Neo-Romantic - September 16 2013 at 10:18
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 14:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

One of my favorite albums ever. It made use of stereo to fill the sonic space, something that had not previously been accomplished. The album was something way bigger than the 10 tracks of which it was comprised.

I simply don't believe the claim in that statement I have highlighted. You would need to explain that to me. Why would it be such a leap from say what ELP were doing on Tarkus a couple of years earlier?
For me its a collection of good songs that were commercial enough to draw in those that didn't want anything too experimental. There is that with brilliant but simple album cover that suggested something very deep and intellectual. Conceptually it was broad enough to survive scrutiny and not too clever that it would fly over peoples heads.
On The Run was the only real stab at anything that I would regard as experimentation. However electronic innovation in music was already well under way especially when you consider Pete Townsend's Lighthouse Project and Tangerine Dream and the other German pioneers.It wasn't that new.
Honestly, I'm surprised you use ELP, of all bands, as an example. Of any prog band, the only one that came near to accomplishing what Floyd did was Yes.And notice I say "accomplish." The concept of filling sonic space refers to use and understanding of overtones and their role in the orchestration of a piece. I shouldn't say it hadn't been attempted on some scale before (although I'm still surprised that you suggested ELP), but DSOTM showed an intuitiveness to sound that the other prog artists didn't have. Sounds were panned to just the right place, instruments covered just the right parts of the sonic spectrum, things were faded in at just the right rate. ELP didn't do anything like this that I know of.

Tarkus always sounded amazing on the headphones and Offord's engineering skills were legendary. There seems to be an incredible mythology that surrounds DSOTM .I trust my ears first and nothing else second.Wink
I do too. That's exactly why I'm questioning Tarkus. TongueNot to say that the mix on Tarkus was bad, but it wasn't the same thing at all. It was merely meant to accommodate the band's performance. It did that well, but it didn't do much "filling" of the type I've been talking about.

Well I don't agree. There is hell of a lot going on Tarkus when you listen to it. Compare it the live version and they are so different its untrue. Offord added so much that I would be tempted to call him the fourth member of the band at that time. ELP are never credited with having anything subtle going on yet it is obviously there and in abundance. Intellectually though ELP were dwarfed by Floyd and especially Waters. DSOTM is a solid album for sure but the claims made for it have always seemed ridiculous to me. I just wonder if they had recorded it in 3 months instead of a year whether it would  be so praised? Taking a year is nonsense to me but I guess it must be amazing to take that longUnhappy

OK, taking a year to record an album may be excessive and costly (even though it was stated on the next post that the recording acutally only took 38 days or so), but if time (and I'm not taliking about the song) is what's needed to make one of the most iconic and succesful albums of all time, then I guess it's worth it.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 15:12
About Red, I do like it a lot, but I don't think it's such a perfect album. From King Crimson, I like much better the debut. First, I feel this album would have been much more special if it had included Cross in the line-up. To begin with, Red is indeed a great song, no complaints here. The next, "One More Red Nightmare" and "Fallen Angel" are indeed very nice songs, but I wouldn't put them among my favourite Crimson songs. As for Providence, this is the very song I feel drags the album down the most... mainly, I'm not really much a fan of improvisations, but if they were going to use a live improv for the album, it would have been much better if they used the one from the "USA" album, which I heard several times used on other live shows on "The Great Deceiver" box set (which makes me wonder if it's right to call that piece an improv). And for the last, of course "Starless" is among my very favourite King Crimson songs, a real masterpiece, but once again, I feel David Cross is missing here. Perhaps my problem is that I actually heard this song live first, and got to love it in that version, so for me this song must be played with violing, and having it missing on the album really puts this song down a bit.
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 15:16
Providence is criminally underrated and definitely better than the title track (not that the title track is bad in any way).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 20:01
How good or bad Providence is doesn't even matter to me.  Every other track is so awesome that it is very easily my favourite prog rock album of all the ones I have listened to.  There are places where the music is incredibly languid, like One More Red Nightmare, or incredibly frantic, like Starless.  And throughout the music is performed with so much feeling (though Wetton's vocals don't do much for me) that all in all it's a very unique musical experience.   
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 00:59
What's so special about Red?

Four words:

One 

More 

Red

Nightmare

My favourite Bruford performance and the most daemonic riff Fripp ever created Evil Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 01:50
When you analyse it perhaps nothing but overall its an emotional rollercoaster of an album. Providence is a gamble that pays off for me. Improvised tracks are tricky things.
My only slight reservation is that I prefer The John Wetton Band version of Starless from Progfest 97 to the original. Their are some amazing dynamics in that version that the studio version lacks.

Edited by richardh - September 17 2013 at 01:51
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 01:58
Just thought I'd butt in on this conversation for a second!

At a Record Fair a year ago, I was buying some CD's off a vendor, having a prog conversation with him, and a guy next to me decided to buy the remastered `Islands' by Crimso. I made some remark about it being by favourite album from them, and he said he liked it too, and `much more than `Red', adding:

"I think only young people like `Red'...

Is that true?! I mean, I can see why younger listeners would like the heaviness of it, but I found it an interesting comment and wondered how many felt the same way??

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 17 2013 at 02:50
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 02:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Just thought I'd butt in on this conversation for a second!

At a Record Fair a year ago, I was buying some CD's off a vendor, having a prog conversation with him, and a guy next to me decided to buy the remastered `Islands' by Crimso. I made some remark about it being by favourite album from them, and he said he liked it too, and `much more than `Red', adding:

"I think only young people like `Red'...

Is that true?! I mean, I can see why younger listeners would like the heaviness of it, but I found it and interesting comment and wondered how many feel the same way??

Hey Michael, good question.  When I got into Crimso at age 17, I felt there were 3 flavours...the art rock (ITCOTCK, Poseidon, Lizzie, Islands) the prog rock (Larks & Bible Black) and the metal (Red & USA).  I favoured the metal for quite awhile and though I knew the other albums were something special, they didn't really click with me until years later.  Was it an age thing?  I'm not sure, maybe...but I think if I heard some of the prog I love today - French bands like Ange & Mona Lisa - back at age 17 I probably wouldn't have been too impressed.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - September 17 2013 at 02:14
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 02:21
^ What has age got to do with music.
I know young people who dislike everything heavy (most do), and some boys 50+ that just adore heavy (the harder the better)
I dont think Red is better than LTIA, but not because its harder, seem to me its not as complicated, and RED is absolutely not bad ! Its a 5+ star masterpiece.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 02:28
Thanks for the responses! Just for the record, even though `Red' is not one of my favourite Crimson albums (although I hardly think it's bad!), that was not me agreeing with his statement! I just found it interesting and had been meaning to post it here to see if that was the way any of you guys felt!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 17 2013 at 02:49
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 02:55
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Was it an age thing?  I'm not sure, maybe...but I think if I heard some of the prog I love today - French bands like Ange & Mona Lisa - back at age 17 I probably wouldn't have been too impressed.

Agreed--  I don't think an album like Io Sono Nato Libero would've done much for me even just ten years ago, and I'm in my forties.

The question is did the guy who said only young people like Red like it when he was young.   I mean, I still dig Maiden, AC/DC and Van Halen.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 03:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The question is did the guy who said only young people like Red like it when he was young.   I mean, I still dig Maiden, AC/DC and Van Halen.

That's a good point. The guy who said it was well into his late 50's/early 60's. The way he said it didn't suggest he meant `I used to like it, but not anymore'. It more came across like perhaps he came to the Crimson band in general at a much older age?

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 17 2013 at 03:15
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 12:22
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

What's so special about Red?

Four words:

One 

More 

Red

Nightmare

My favourite Bruford performance and the most daemonic riff Fripp ever created Evil Smile

I can't argue with that though Starless is still my favorite track.....even if one doesn't like Providence the rest of the lp is superb....and a seminal work in heavy prog as many have already said over the years.
I have lost track of how many people I have introduced this album to over the years and all have been blown away from the sheer power of it.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 12:30
Are we on Red now?

I think Red is special because it proved King Crimson could rock.  Not just rock in an artsy way, but actually ROCK.  The album has the kind of power and electricity that was kind of missing on prior King Crimson albums, good as they were. 
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 13:11
I've not listened to it enough to know if it's special or not.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 15:33

I've not listened to it enough to know if it's special or not.

I recommend fixing that, fast! Wink

To weigh in on the earlier conversation about age determining this album's likability, I seriously refuse to believe that. I do, however, understand the sentiment, as I've known several older music fans to consider heaviness and youth inextricably combined. Ironically as I get older I find my tastes are getting heavier. I first heard Red when I was 19. I'm 23 now and I like it better more and more each time still. The fact that my tastes are getting heavier just adds to that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 35>