Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPA Songwriters'/Composers' Association

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 12:47
Also there's a cheeky bit of 5 over 7 motherf*cker. If you don't dig that then you don't dig anything.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 13:08
^ What is your 5 over 7? Is it ...

1) where you play one part in 5/smth and another in 7/smth, they are both played at the same time and running at the same tempo?

... or ...

2) you take the part in 5/smth and try to "fit it into" the part in 7/smth (as in, they run at different tempi, but a measure of one part lasts the same amount of time as a measure of the other part) ?

Mine is the second one.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 16 2014 at 13:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 13:19
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Here's my band's condensed EPK. Here you can see us talk to an imaginary interviewer in a really awkward fashion. I think we play quite well though so we have that at least I suppose.
The interview looks good.

1) I googled EPK, and it gave me "electronic press kit". What EPK did you mean? Also, ...

2) What is the most challenging piece you've ever written? Do you have a link to that? And ...

3) What makes your band stand out as a jazz music act? (Emphasis on/messing around with certain musical elements, influences from other styles, etc.)
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 15:18
RE your first post, the 5/7 I'm referring to is a 5/8 phrase running over a 7/4 phrase.

1. Electronic Press Kit would be the one. Basically something to send out to promoters so they have an idea of what we sound like.

2. The most challenging piece I've ever written is Mosaic, featured in the video. Here's a live recording: https://soundcloud.com/zeitgeist575/mosaic

3. I think we stand out because we are constantly pushing the complexity of our music whilst still trying to make it flow as musically as possible. We aim to challenge our audience, test their threshold on what is entertaining and what isn't. In regards to influences, we try and bring in elements of Metal, Prog Rock, Indian Classical Music and Western Classical Music to the mix. The musical element we mess around with the most is probably rhythm, although harmony also gets its fair share of meddling too.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 13:40
@ Polymorphia: When you or your mate write the lyrics, how do you avoid that holier-than-thou attitude (preachiness) and self-pity?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 22:51
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

@ Polymorphia: When you or your mate write the lyrics, how do you avoid that holier-than-thou attitude (preachiness) and self-pity?
There is no moral idea or personal problem that is inherently preachy or self-pitying, but examining writers you consider preachy or self-pitying is helpful. An example, for me, would be Morrissey circa Meat is Murder. The lyric for "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" doesn't have a bad concept. But Morrissey talks about somebody laughing at suicidal people without mentioning the joke. He says that this somebody "kicks them when they fall down" several times and tries to enforce his point with assertions instead of examples. Now, part of the preachiness has to do with Morrissey's persona and delivery. There's always the right music and delivery you can give to a bad lyric to turn it into a good one. (The Queen is Dead was much better both in terms of lyrics and delivery).

So mainly I avoid making assertions without backing them up first. If I were to say "I hate cookies" I'd want to back it up with reasons, examples, or experiences first. The purpose of a lyric is not to display an idea or emotion, but to show how the writer's mind processes certain ideas and emotions and by doing so prove the idea or emotion. 

Edited by Polymorphia - July 17 2014 at 22:51
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 23:16
How to write good lyrics:

Write bad lyrics
Write more bad lyrics
Continue to write bad lyrics on a daily basis
Rinse and repeat for a couple years

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:02
^ Brute force? With no thought involved?
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

There is no moral idea or personal problem that is inherently preachy or self-pitying, but examining writers you consider preachy or self-pitying is helpful. An example, for me, would be Morrissey circa Meat is Murder. The lyric for "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" doesn't have a bad concept. But Morrissey talks about somebody laughing at suicidal people without mentioning the joke. He says that this somebody "kicks them when they fall down" several times and tries to enforce his point with assertions instead of examples. Now, part of the preachiness has to do with Morrissey's persona and delivery. There's always the right music and delivery you can give to a bad lyric to turn it into a good one. (The Queen is Dead was much better both in terms of lyrics and delivery).

So mainly I avoid making assertions without backing them up first. If I were to say "I hate cookies" I'd want to back it up with reasons, examples, or experiences first. The purpose of a lyric is not to display an idea or emotion, but to show how the writer's mind processes certain ideas and emotions and by doing so prove the idea or emotion. 
Thanks. I'll follow your advice and see what happens.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 18 2014 at 00:03
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:08

^ Brute force? With no thought involved?
(For me) Music isn't about thinking. It's an art. Passion, emotions, and feelings are abundant while thoughts and calculations are scarce. If I'm writing something every day, it's something that's from my heart which is what I'm going for. f**k yes, you should revise and change things up, but if you're thinking about what you're writing down before you do so, you've lost the point of it.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:13
Lyrics to my only completed song with lyrics:

I didn't see you yesterday
I don't think I'll have the chance
Maybe next time I'll say-
No I won't

I didn't see you (X a lot)

I'm not gonna see you anymore
I just think it's for the best
But I don't think, I don't think
etc

[Breakdown]

I didn't see you January 19th
I didn't see you December 27th
I didn't see you November 21st
I didn't see you October 14th
I didn't see you

It's crude, it's simplistic, but I create a voice through the lyrics which imply I'm talking to the listener: not going over their heads and it adds a sense of genuineness. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:18
^ What kind of instruments would be involved in playing the song?
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:18

^ What kind of instruments would be involved in playing the song?
It was just acoustic guitar. I could PM if you wanna hear.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:22
^ Certamente. I was thinking the lyrics could be sung a cappella, while in between the verses there would be some room for string arrangement.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 18 2014 at 00:23
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:23

^ Certamente. I was thinking some parts could be sung a cappella, while the rest would be accompanied with a string arrangement.
It is kinda like that. I'll send you the thing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:35
^ Reminds me an awful lot of Syd Barrett but with a more punky vocal approach to it. Now that I've heard it, I think arrangement-wise the track is fine. No need to embellish it with more instruments.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 00:36
Glad you like it Smile

You can sorta feel how the repeated lyrics make the song feel more whole as opposed to taking away from the song.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 01:11
Certainly repetition helps with this sort of thing, but to me personally repetition as a lyric-writing device makes songwriting too easy, effortless. I like challenging myself (not bragging), I just do. But I guess that for now I could use "too easy", given that I haven't written a single full-fledged song that I'd be proud of.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 08:06
Repetition is a useful device. You just have to find a line worth repeating.

Also, it is essential to write a lot. You do need to think in some stages of the writing, but the more you write, the more you'll know which stages in which you need to do the thinking. You do want to have some kind of thinking in the first draft, or at least I do, but it doesn't have to be critical thinking directly related to the poem. You don't have to write a lyric feeling like you absolutely can't be preachy. Just write and then address whatever problems are there.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 08:14
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Lyrics to my only completed song with lyrics:

I didn't see you yesterday
I don't think I'll have the chance
Maybe next time I'll say-
No I won't

I'm not gonna see you anymore
I just think it's for the best
But I don't think, I don't think
etc

[Breakdown]

I didn't see you January 19th
I didn't see you December 27th
I didn't see you November 21st
I didn't see you October 14th
I didn't see you

It's crude, it's simplistic, but I create a voice through the lyrics which imply I'm talking to the listener: not going over their heads and it adds a sense of genuineness. 
I especially like the last few lines where you imply that at least four years have passed since you saw this person. How fast is the vocal delivery for this song? It seems like the first stanza would not work if it were sung too fast. I also want to ask what the "But I don't think" line means in relation to the others. Overall, though, Thumbs Up.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 12:50
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Also, it is essential to write a lot. You do need to think in some stages of the writing, but the more you write, the more you'll know which stages in which you need to do the thinking. You do want to have some kind of thinking in the first draft, or at least I do, but it doesn't have to be critical thinking directly related to the poem. You don't have to write a lyric feeling like you absolutely can't be preachy. Just write and then address whatever problems are there.
... which is the backbone to lyric-writing. Creativity comes with time. It's not an immediate thing.

If only I heard this advice six years ago, I wouldn't be stuck in my bulls$%t.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>