Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPA Songwriters'/Composers' Association

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PA Songwriters'/Composers' Association
    Posted: August 24 2013 at 11:33
This is a place for songwriters and composers to share their works, advice, criticism, exercises, etc. to hone their skills for whatever they wanna do with their music.

Edited by Polymorphia - August 24 2013 at 11:34
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 13:48
A while ago I was thinking about starting a thread called PA Musicians' Collective Journal where we all could ramble on about what we're up to and pat each other on the backs. This seems like at least somewhat close to the same idea, thanks Thumbs Up

From time to time I've been thinking about pressing a small number of CDs of my album (burning the music myself to pre-printed CDrs, probably), and as I've lately been doing a bit of remixing to the material, I guess I'll wait until the mix is done and then I'll get on with it. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to them, I've been thinking around 20 copies at first, there might be a possibility that I could get rid of that amount.

So what do you do?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 14:06
Well, I have the problem of starting a lot of projects but finishing very few. I'm also very perfectionist about my work, so the things I do finish take a while. Right now, I have a psychedelic indie folk-rock band, "King Stevens," of which I am a primary songwriter, guitarist, vocalist, and keyboardist, and which I will introduce to PA when we finally get some presentable recordings. I am in two other groups, both untitled at the moment. One is a psychedelic crossover-prog goth rock type thing, and the other is a more democratic minimalist post-punk group. Both are far from having anything to show.

On my own, I do a variety of different things. I've written orchestral music, chamber music, electronic, prog rock, jazz, avant-garde, but I think I've just recently found my niche. It's hard to describe, so I won't try.

I realize I'm not giving you a lot, but I really don't have any recordings I'm willing to show anyone, just yet. I have a few electronic recordings in the vault, which I can pull out if anyone's curious, but, otherwise, I've not yet done anything substantial.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 14:26
My method for making music is playing stuff until it sounds good, then mixing/remixing/completely destroying it on my computer. If anyone's interested, my music is in my signature.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 14:37
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

A while ago I was thinking about starting a thread called PA Musicians' Collective Journal where we all could ramble on about what we're up to and pat each other on the backs. This seems like at least somewhat close to the same idea, thanks Thumbs Up

From time to time I've been thinking about pressing a small number of CDs of my album (burning the music myself to pre-printed CDrs, probably), and as I've lately been doing a bit of remixing to the material, I guess I'll wait until the mix is done and then I'll get on with it. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to them, I've been thinking around 20 copies at first, there might be a possibility that I could get rid of that amount.

So what do you do?
I would recommend using Amazon's CreateSpace for producing limited runs of CDs. For 20 copies you can do it yourself on a PC but CreateSpace produces a more professional looking product. Both these would be CDR but glass pressed CDs are only viable for quantities over 500.

Here's one of mine produced using CreateSpace.

What?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 14:47
I do things
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 14:59
We all know about you, smart LOL Speaking of which, I need to check out some of your more recent releases... but there's just so many!

Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

My method for making music is playing stuff until it sounds good, then mixing/remixing/completely destroying it on my computer. If anyone's interested, my music is in my signature.

Some nice stuff you got there, Luna. There's a strong noise/ambient scene on PA. I like that a lot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 15:07
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

We all know about you, smart LOL Speaking of which, I need to check out some of your more recent releases... but there's just so many!

xD yeah, I have a habit of releasing a lot of stuff. Which was the last one you checked out?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 15:21
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

xD yeah, I have a habit of releasing a lot of stuff. Which was the last one you checked out?

The second one Tongue
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 15:59
Yay, another plugging opportunity! Big smile

Three of my compositions are here...

https://soundcloud.com/zeitgeist-band
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 16:23

The second one Tongue

Man, that one seems like such a long time ago!
I suggest Going to the Pet Store, Big Foot Business Casual, I Went on Vacation EP, and For my Grandpa
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 16:51

The second one Tongue

Man, that one seems like such a long time ago!
I suggest Going to the Pet Store, Big Foot Business Casual, I Went on Vacation EP, and For my Grandpa

Just listened to some of Pet Store today. I like the general concept of what you do. I think, though, maybe some stereo mixing might help it along quite a bit (to give it more sonic depth), as well as letting the songs have a bit more time to sit. These seem like sketches for something bigger, and I would make those recordings first, listen to them, making notes of where things should go, what things should sound like. Try making some Penderecki-style scores (symbols representing sounds) to put it in a more malleable form. I am no stranger to avant-garde, but the best of it is very focused (aesthetically, not necessarily stylistically) even if it isn't serious. Coltrane, Webern, Cage, Merzbow, the Residents... a lot of them latch on to a particular quality and aim to communicate that quality through their music. There is spontaneity in their music, but there also is revision and refining. Think hard about the product you are creating and be specific. What you do isn't bad at all, it just needs a bit of focus. Just my thoughts.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 16:52
There's plenty of stereo mixing on Pet Store
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 17:05
There is a little bit, but not effective stereo mixing, in my opinion. Think "Dogs" by Pink Floyd:

The instruments are panned to fill the sonic space. Also, when single instruments are panned to both ears, either different takes are used or both sides of the take are mixed differently. If nothing is changed in single instruments from ear to ear, it sounds no different from a mono recording. Please, take all of this with a grain of salt. You may have done this, and I just don't hear it. You also know more about your music than I do, and have total control and freedom to do as you please, as long as you like the product. Quality is relative to intention. I'm just relating as a composer my opinions on how your music could be bettered, and maybe how it could serve whatever intention it serves more effectively.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 17:13
You've got a point. But I have been and still am getting much more creative with my mixing. But I also don't think there's anything wrong with a more mono-ish approach to mixing
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 17:13
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Yay, another plugging opportunity! Big smile

Three of my compositions are here...

https://soundcloud.com/zeitgeist-band
I like the compositions and the playing very much. I have mixed feelings about the mix, though (pun not intended). It's doing a lot of new and interesting things that you don't normally find in Jazz, but I think it's a bit too compressed. Just my two cents.

Edited by Polymorphia - August 24 2013 at 17:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 17:24

You've got a point. But I have been and still am getting much more creative with my mixing. But I also don't think there's anything wrong with a more mono-ish approach to mixing
There's not if you do it intentionally, for a good reason. There is some music that's a lot more enjoyable as a mono mix. I was making this suggestion, however, for your music specifically. If you feel a mono mix would further your music, more power to you.

Edited by Polymorphia - August 24 2013 at 17:25
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 17:28

Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Some nice stuff you got there, Luna. There's a strong noise/ambient scene on PA. I like that a lot.
Thumbs Up I assume you've also heard Hanashukketsu which colorofmoney91, Vompatti, and I play in.

Though personally, I'm trying to find the right balance between abstract/noise/ambient music, and actual compositions. My goal is to make my music emulate several styles while sounding cohesive.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 18:24
I'm one of three songwriters in a rock band called Rare Goat.  We've been together 9 years, but only got serious about developing original material in the last two years or so.  We're nearly finished recording our first album of all original material.  I'm pretty pumped about it.

20 years ago or so, I also wrote and recorded an 11 song EP by myself under the name of Blasphart.  It was a hardcore punk thing heavily influenced by Dead Kennedys and Saccharine Trust.  I revived  one of those songs for the upcoming Rare Goat album.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 18:33
Rare Goat is bitchin, Blasphart is pretty good, too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>