Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

PA Songwriters'/Composers' Association

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PA Songwriters'/Composers' Association
    Posted: August 19 2014 at 12:59
Originally posted by Kazza3

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq

Throwaway #1 - "Bread And Wine".

Throwaway #3 - The Silent Moonraven Ballad. 
 Nice! These all, particular the first and last, sound like they have a lot of potential. I know they're throwaways, but some tuning wouldn't hurt, and obviously as you practice them you'll be able to get those parts sounding really clean, and it'll be even better.
Thanks. For tuning I use my Yamaha keyboard, so I didn't think that something was wrong.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 19 2014 at 13:00
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 17:52
Throwaway #5 - Flying Too High. I did not write the music (I'm not that talented Unhappy ). This was recorded in the UNR (University of Nevada, Reno) music department, where the vocal exercise and the orchestral performance went well together.

Throwaway #6 - Improvisation. I believe it's in the style of Brit folk or Italian folk, I'm not sure.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 19 2014 at 18:49
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 21:30

^ That depends on how our writing styles could gel, if at all. I look in my "garbage can" and see bits in different styles. I've got Romantic classical, folk, experimental, free jazz, rock, etc. So far maybe nothing really serious. I've got an alto sax, a violin, a keyboard, guitars, bass, soprano recorder, digital sound-producing software, and editing software.

I guess if there are bits that we have and don't know what to do with them, we could pitch them between each other.

Sure, that might work. If you have some unfinished parts send them over and I'll see if I can make something out of it.  Hopefully I'll have some time, since I'm starting a new semester next week, but I'll give it a try. I don't have my recording stuff at the moment, but when I get the chance I could record and send a few incomplete ideas to you.

Originally posted by Kazza3

Originally posted by N-sz

Here's a new-ish recording. Now you can read along with the score!

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1reU6B6YPAY

Really cool! And thanks for the score. Is the intention for it to be an actual joint strings & guitar ensemble, and the keys are just filling in? For my tastes, sections of it are bit too weird and seem to lack a direction, or there could be a bit more repetition of themes for listeners to hang on to. Particularly towards the beginning- and at times some of the rhythmic complexity/number of parts gets a bit messy (though that could partly be the performance of the keys). The roughly middle section was better in these regards, with some particularly cool bits, and my favourite part was the guitars alone at the end. But nice!

I rarely have more than a foggy idea of what I'm going for when I begin most pieces. The idea with this, which I wasn't even very committed to, was just to have a bunch of violins, beginning with only one playing at a time, then two at a time, then three, and so on (why the guitars entered in was kind of a happy accident I guess, long story short). I did that before with an all guitar piece and thought maybe it would work again with an instrument that can sustain long notes this time, so that's really why I wrote it with violin parts, not that I expect to ever have this performed with real violins haha. My music is often pretty directionless. I can't hold onto a single idea for very long, so I try to embrace that instead of forcing more structure onto it. I agree though--it's a perfectly valid criticism, but I attempt to make good things out of that. Glad you enjoyed it anyhow! Thanks so much for listening :)

Edited by N-sz - August 19 2014 at 21:39
My music
Seventy-nine years ago there were three cousins whose names were Rose Marymarsh, Mary Rosemarsh, and Marsh Maryrose.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 22:18
You just opened for Yes (who will be on live on Yahoo! at 11:30pm EST).

Throwaway #1 - "Bread And Wine".

Whether it's intentional or not, I dig the old "Django" sound.  You have several ideas here: Classical, Celtic, Country.  This was my favorite of the so-called "throwaways."

Throwaway #2 - "Morning".

One universal piece of advice I can give is to turn down the input volume.  You can adjust volume later and avoid unwanted distortion.

Throwaway #3 - The Silent Moonraven Ballad.

I like that groove in 6/8.  Some more development on that would be desirable.  Then there's that somber classical style.  I feel like those two sections would work better separately, as they suggest two very different things.

Throwaway #4 - Sunshine Of Alberta.

This one seems like you're not sure what you want to accomplish with it.  I say that not because it's short, but because it sounds like its trying to rock and be pretty at the same time in such a short span.

Throwaway #6 - Improvisation. I believe it's in the style of Brit folk or Italian folk, I'm not sure.

Sounding quite inspired by Steve Howe there ("Mood for a Day" comes to mind).  Interesting improvisation and you may be able to pick parts from it that work well together.

Throwaway #7 - Dreaming Of Winter.

Keyboard now?  That's a simple basis for something larger, or could work very well as an interlude on its own.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 22:36
^ Thanks for the feedback.  

That's how I see a throwaway: a tiny, half-assed musical idea just for the show that I might never use again. I can't think of a better term for those tracks. Show bits?
Originally posted by Epignosis

Throwaway #2 - "Morning".

One universal piece of advice I can give is to turn down the input volume.  You can adjust volume later and avoid unwanted distortion.
Duly noted. Didn't know that. As I've told N-sz, I have this laptop that has a crap built-in mic. I believe that's the reason why there's so much noise in there, and you can barely hear the bass notes. I guess I could get around those things with your advice.

Originally posted by Epignosis

Throwaway #4 - Sunshine Of Alberta. 
 This one seems like you're not sure what you want to accomplish with it.  I say that not because it's short, but because it sounds like its trying to rock and be pretty at the same time in such a short span.
Doesn't it strike you as something in Lerxst's style? Like "Discovery"?

The ones below I've recorded with mic array of 20% and boost of +20dB. All it did was reducing the amount of noise recorded, but that deep, broad resonance coming from the hole of the guitar gets loud when certain notes are played. The low-pass filter feature of my editing software didn't remedy the issue.

Throwaway #8 - Disagreement. Features a sloppy piano part, but they, it's just a rough draft.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 20 2014 at 02:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 21:33
Having a little progress. Since the range of musical styles I listen to is somewhat wide (not bragging), for years I've had too much on my plate. This is something I should have done a long time ago: organizing all of my bits, ideas, tracks, etc. by styles. I've just built a spectrum of genres in the form of folders on my Dropbox account. I don't want to sound out of touch in my music. Let's see how the lyrical ideas and the music I have on my hands will gel, if at all.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 27 2014 at 21:35
EchoTail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoTail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 07:03
Hey guys, I noticed that this forum put my album on their Bandcamp Recommendations thread last week.  I just want to say thank you for acknowledging my work!  Ever since that post though, I have completely remastered the tracks on the album to make them sound better, so if you have the time, come check out the new mixes on the link!  I would love to hear what you think of the tracks.

https://echotail.bandcamp.com/album/mirroring
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kazza3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 05:04
Great stuff EchoTail! I only listened to parts the tracks (sorry) on poor headphones, but the opening track is my favourite, the guitar solo and tone is very nicely done. Several of the other tracks feature riffs that are little too straight-up metal for my tastes, with higher gain guitar tones than I like.  Be sure with an instrumental album to keep it varied and interesting, from that perspective I enjoyed the quieter moments the most. Sounds well mixed from what I could hear too. Well done!
For every time you hear this strain of lullabies collapsing, walk towards the echo, and let it hold your trembling...
EchoTail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoTail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 06:31
Thanks Kazza for listening!  During the recording, I did not intend for the album to become metal, but I guess it just happened naturally as I was doing it!  I do agree with your opinion about the variety within the songs; I actually wanted to put vocals on these songs in the future and switch the structure of the songs around a bit.

It was my first real attempt in recording an album of some sorts, and do not have the resources that a recording studio has, so I am very happy that you like what you have heard so far!
MustardSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MustardSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 14:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516