Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPA Songwriters'/Composers' Association

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 10:56
^I am, I just want to clean up what I've got so far.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 21:52
Originally posted by Star_Song_Age_Less Star_Song_Age_Less wrote:

Thank you very kindly for this careful listening - Everything you say here makes sense to me and I was thinking some of it to myself while listening it over before I posted it.   (Not all, though - the speechlike quality was unconscious, and I think not appropriate now that you alerted me to it - that's exactly the sort of thing that I need to find out!).  

Differences between the different verses - definitely agree.  I intended to provide some variation in the form of new layers of backing vocals and synth parts in each verse, though I never record those things until I've heard the demo about 50 times.  What do you think - would a large variation in additional tracks fit your bill, or do you think the base of it needs to be tweaked?

Also agree on the strength of the "chorus" - in my head it sounds so powerful but I don't think it translated on this demo.  I'm not sure why, yet.

Edit: I just realized, I forgot to mention - what you said about the intro was spot-on.  I did have an intro for this but it just wasn't working quite right for me yet so I left it out.  The intro keyboard part is minor and otherwise modified version of the verse part, and I had originally written an entire song based off that original theme (in the minor key), then scrapped almost all of it, leaving only the beginning.  Now I left that beginning out of this recording... something needs to be there, but I just don't quite have it right yet.

No worries! My thoughts when listening to the demo were a change in the vocal melody itself, but simply adding parts and building the texture may do it just as well, it’s hard to say from a piano demo. Hope it works out!

Just added a sample of my song "Faith" to the page: https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic .  This one is basically done, it's a mixdown, but it hasn't been mastered.  It's probably the 2nd-most-polished one I have at the moment.  The clip at least gives you an idea for the flavor of the song.  I don't know what genre to call it, really, especially based on the structure of the entire song, which is something like ABCDmodCED... no key changes, though... and it clocks in at 4:32.

Nice! This once again seems to fall pretty well into the kind of prog-influenced ballads being done by new bands, and as I’ve said before, that combined with being piano-based and having female vocals makes it a little reminiscent of iamthemorning. Perhaps a little more attention could be paid to the mixing of the vocals? They don’t always quite sit in place.

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I wrote two lyrics recently. I was wondering if they weren't a little bit overwrought/melodramatic. I'm going to post it in prose form (I wrote it in prose form to practice trying to make coherent thoughts). Mainly, I don't want anybody to feel like they don't have an opinion on it. It seems sometimes people are scared away by the stanza form or it messes with the way they try to interpret the lyrics. If it's incoherent, melodramatic, whatever, I want to know. Here's the first:

Hapless Victims of the Sun
Quote Look at you now, squeezing yourself small, under the cover of your eyelids. Shall we disturb them with frightening awareness of a single, fragile motion? You’ve had your beginning and will end when it’s finally complete. A house of cards on a table of entropy, every trace of you will fall away, fall away, fall away, in the cosmic shift, you fall away, fall away, to a hearse you’ll know for so long, unsought. Long unsought. Trepidation. Don’t pull away, son. I will grip you ever tighter. You know my voice well, since you were a child, playing silently in gardens. From your first breath, you were devoured in the fiery exposure. Until your last one, it seems you’ll continue to run away run away, run away, in the cosmic shift, run away, run away, to a hearse you’ll know for so long, unsought. Long unsought. In mouths of sun, I feel swallowed.

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

And the other:

Solid Ground
Quote She is my shelter. Try. My thoughts venture elsewhere. And I try. I’m tired of being awake. I pray that I could love the mother of all flesh, solid ground. She is my entrance. Try. But I am not present. And I try. I’m tired of being awake. I pray that I could love the mother of all flesh, solid ground. I am a drifter in the spaces above me. People and places pass under me without notice. Tragedies fail to reach me. Alone in my cold expanse, I fear I am scarcely human. I want to be lucid. I pray that I could love the mother of all flesh, solid ground.

I like these. It’s very difficult to tell how they will work as lyrics, when written in prose, but obviously the lack of strong rhymes will make it difficult to use for some material (though I tend to prefer largely unrhymed poetry as well). On the other hand, reading it as prose makes the phrases seem very fragmented and short, which should work well as lyrics. I like the style in general and they should make a good base for song lyrics that you can tweak to fit the song, but yeah, it’s hard to judge them properly as they are.

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 21:56
^I wrote them to the melody, so I know how they fit and everything. I just typed them in prose form so I could make sure the thoughts expressed followed some kind of logic. The approach has worked pretty well thus far in terms of helping me figure out what I want to say.

Edited by Polymorphia - December 26 2014 at 21:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 18:51
Found this.

Only a few artists that I like amongst all of them, but it's still a neat idea and it's kind of cool to see how bands operate even when you don't like their music.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 01:54
^ Interesting. Looking into Julia Holter's song story.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 20:55
I quite like Julia Holter. Probably the podcast most worth checking out imo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 17:50
OK, here's something I think that's worth discussing: the importance of poetry. As some of you know, I've been into Steely Dan (the lyrics and the music) for a couple of months. Fagen and Becker were influenced by Bob Dylan, a poet. I've temporarily co-opted this notion that good poetry is a sign of intelligence, and you are not taken seriously as a lyricist unless you are a poet ... or Lindsay Buckingham.

Then I've lost the gist of it. What is really so intelligent about literary devices like imagery, metaphor, allusion, etc.? Why can't you just say what you have in mind instead of reworking it into poetic terms and coming up with something contrived? And what is so intelligent about lyrics that are open to interpretation? Wouldn't that obscure what the lyricist has to say, probably something important?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 09 2015 at 17:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 19:43
Different writers have different approaches. You can write exactly what you feel exactly how you would word it in that moment. There's nothing wrong with that to me. You don't have to try to seem intelligent with your lyrics if you don't want to. Simple lyrics can carry a lot of soul. You can also go a more complex route. There is shame in neither. You can even write by sound or improvise. Most good writers know how this fits into their overall aesthetic, their "voice." You may just prefer something more composed.

I know I prefer to obscure the meaning a little bit, so that you can figure it out still and once you figure it out you can't see it any other way, but I like it to be a challenge to get there. Writing those lyrics is hard and it takes me a long time to achieve anything close to what I want. I like them to be thought provoking, I suppose, and, in the past, I've been exclusive of lyricists that don't work that way, but there's nothing wrong with what they do if it's emotionally effective.

There is a difference between having things open to interpretation in the sense that things in the lyrics have multiple meanings and create multiple associations as to cause the listener/reader to be brought to different but controlled conclusions and having things open to interpretation in the sense that they aren't trying to communicate anything in particular and want the listener to ascribe their own meaning to it. There is also a difference between being open to interpretation and the meaning being a challenge to get to. I take the "challenge" part from modern poets like Donald Justice, John Berryman, and T.S. Eliot. Most of these poets poems have meanings that take a couple readings to grasp (or one read to grasp, but with a few lines that take some thought), but they don't have multiple meanings. Certain symbols may have multiple meanings, but the topic and the perspective are clear.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 21:00
^ See, I never really understood the appeal of "oh, get there on your own" lyrics. I guess one of the things that concerns me the most is concision. I just don't want to put my listeners through obstacles. I know some listeners like obstacles, but ... just doesn't seem like my style anymore. [shrug]

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 09 2015 at 21:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 21:30
^Then don't take that approach. I probably have advocated it strongly in the past (I just like something to chew on for a bit, which doesn't make it any more "intelligent"), but it's really just what I like. Follow your vision where it leads.
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 16:07
^Agreed wholeheartedly.  Write what you want to write, not what you think other people will find to be intelligent.  Music is an art, not a science.  There's no right or wrong way to go about it.

That said, there will be people who will try to tell you there is a right way to do it.  My advice is to ignore them.  Constructive criticism is wonderful and helpful, but pigeonholing isn't.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 00:29

^Agreed wholeheartedly.  Write what you want to write, not what you think other people will find to be intelligent.  Music is an art, not a science.  There's no right or wrong way to go about it.
There is science to merit, isn't there?
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 00:39

Music is an art, not a science.
Music is very much a science, although the credibility of the end product is much more based on subjective taste rather than "objective" evidence. I think what you mean to say is music is not math.
Moogmoods View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 01:32
If any members feel like taking the time to listen to this, I would be curious as to your comments - good or bad. Would be interested to hear how the material, whether you like it or not, translates on the different systems/setups you guys & gals use to listen to your music.
http://www.auralscapes.com
The purpose of life is a life of purpose - Athena Orchard
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 07:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I wouldn't say there is, really.  In the long-run, all merit is decided by someone's opinion, even if it's based on some sort of number scheme like a standardized test.

If what music was good was dictated by some scientific formula, then everyone would like the same music and all good music would sound the same.  What a boring world that would be.  Rather like the top 40 taken to the extreme.

Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Music is an art, not a science.
Music is very much a science, although the credibility of the end product is much more based on subjective taste rather than "objective" evidence. I think what you mean to say is music is not math.

Nope, it's not.  A science follows the scientific method to discover fundamental laws of the universe.  While I love music, and it does follow scientific rules, I don't see any basis for calling it a science.

[Clarification: I mean that instruments sound a certain way because the physical objects themselves follow scientific rules, etc.]

I teach a class called "Physics of Music" - team taught with a music professor, I teach the physics - neither of us has ever claimed or would try to claim that music is a science.

But if you don't believe me, here's the generic google definition of science:
"the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."

Music is not in any way a systematic study, nor does it tell us truths about the physical or natural world, nor does it intrinsically require experiment.  Observations are necessary to experience it, but that's true of everything in the world.

Science follows a specific set of rules that cannot be broken.  If something breaks them, it's not science.  Music doesn't follow those rules, and is therefore not a science.  Sorry for the long-winded break from our more fun talk, but it drives me crazy when people try to equate these things.  It's like saying literature is a science, as if it needs to be validated somehow.  It doesn't.

Edited by Star_Song_Age_Less - January 16 2015 at 07:26
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Moogmoods View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 08:11
Music is both a science and an art. In fact most successful classical musicians tend to be good at mathematics as well. And any musical scale is just a set of fractions and ratios related to the root of the scale. Science is the canvas - art is the colour you apply to it.
The purpose of life is a life of purpose - Athena Orchard
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 15:44

I wouldn't say there is, really.  In the long-run, all merit is decided by someone's opinion, even if it's based on some sort of number scheme like a standardized test.

If what music was good was dictated by some scientific formula, then everyone would like the same music and all good music would sound the same.  What a boring world that would be.  Rather like the top 40 taken to the extreme.
Merit is dictated by opinion? ... Being somewhat original, taking credit for pushing boundaries, having balls, writing intelligent lyrics - all of that is dictated by opinion?

Too bad not a lot of people are joining in this discussion. We could use more heads on this one.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 16 2015 at 15:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 17:45
Another head to the rescue:

From the listener's perspective:
There is respecting music and there is enjoying music. Some people call music good because they enjoy it, others call music good because they respect it, and yet others call it good because they both enjoy and respect it. Enjoyment can sometimes come from respect and respect from enjoyment. Some respect complexity over simplicity under the idea of "intelligence" where some respect simplicity over complexity under the idea of "universality." We sometimes respect influence over innovation or vice versa. We may not find anything special or innovative about hailed groups, but still feel we have to respect them because of their influence, OR we may feel that the recognition needs to go to uninfluential groups who were special in innovative, not that the two things can't or don't correspond. Certain people have a problem with artists sounding derivative, others don't. A lot of bands are often regarded as objectively respectable, but there is no such thing from a listeners standpoint. We will respect different artists for different reasons. There is no completely objective method of evaluation as listeners.

From the artist standpoint:
All of this said, art is not subjective, but rather relative. Music is like a math but with problems far too complex for us to solve on brain-power alone. All of Aretha Franklin's crescendos and her vibrato and her accent etc. are physical phenomena that, at least to human ear, can happen again and could theoretically be planned, but when she sang a song right it wasn't because all of those physical phenomena were consciously rendered, although some of them may have been; it was because it felt right, whether it was a little out of tune or offbeat or perfectly in tune. Trying to consciously render those stylistic frills will only become right by chance and not by design. The objectively right way to make art is to express yourself as accurately as possible. When you write about a topic lyrically, you are writing not only about your emotions, but how your mind processes those emotions, the events that caused them, the opinions that came from them, the thoughts you had as a result, etc. in order to recreate an exact piece of yourself in someone else. You are trying to capture a piece of yourself as accurately as possible even if that entails telling a story about someone else with more vivid experiences to represent the emotion present. Sometimes a person's emotions are static and they feel the need to create something that heavily represents that mood. Sometimes a person's emotions are dynamic, and they feel the need to cycle through more than one mood in a shorter amount of time. Sometimes a person isn't intensely emotional and feels the need to create something less intense, and sometimes a person is intensely emotional and feels the need to create something more intense. The way to write music isn't subjective, but relative to you. If you feel you don't want to write lyrics that I generally respect, you will never write those kinds of lyrics the right way except by chance. You have to write the way you feel you should. You may need to gain more experience writing to develop a sense of where you should go, but once you have that sense, it's best to follow it. This doesn't mean you shouldn't ask for criticism. Sometimes criticism and discussion can help you see more clearly where you want the music/lyrics to go, but if the critique doesn't seem to aid you where you want to go, you don't have to follow it.

The objective part about this is that sometimes the listener will feel that part of you communicated through the music, even if it's not what they would normally enjoy or respect. Technically, the objective way to listen to music is to try and recognize what the artist is communicating (the best way is by feeling it Wink), but, as a listener, you won't always recognize it. Sometimes it comes from experiences you've never had or from environments or ways of thinking you've never encountered. In that sense it still is subjective. But when you do recognize it, you can evaluate how the relative parts interact. The lyrics may have ocean imagery and the music sound like a big wave crashing. The lyrics may be surreal, but the mood of them and various phrases and elements throughout may communicate why that surreality is present (maybe escapism?). Music in the modern civilized world is create for the same reason indigenous tribes create music, for the same reason the ancients created music– the human need to express. We may face different concerns with bombs and the internet and such, but, as artists, we should always keep in mind that we aren't all that different from those that came before us, and those that are faraway.

imo
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 19:27

Merit is dictated by opinion? ... Being somewhat original, taking credit for pushing boundaries, having balls, writing intelligent lyrics - all of that is dictated by opinion?

Too bad not a lot of people are joining in this discussion. We could use more heads on this one.
Isn't being original relative? If you were to go back to the 19th century and play Beatles songs, you'd shake up the music scene for centuries to come. Doing that today: not so much. 

Likewise, boundaries are also relative. What boundaries are we pushing here? Making unique sounding music?

Having balls means... several different things depending on where you are as an artist. If you're a well known pop star, for example, having balls would be releasing some sort of non-conventional, experimental album. However, if you're an established experimental artist, perhaps having balls would be releasing something conventional and poppy. However, without this context, this pop album wouldn't sound ballsy at all. I believe this is quite relative.

Writing intelligent lyrics I would also say is relative since intelligence is relative. Not everyone in the audiencehas the same capacity for artistic or literary appreciation.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 19:39
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Isn't being original relative? If you were to go back to the 19th century and play Beatles songs, you'd shake up the music scene for centuries to come. Doing that today: not so much.
We are living in 2010's, so forget about the past or how people in 19th century would be blown away by The Beatles' songs. Nowadays it's hard to come up with anything that wasn't tried before.

Likewise, boundaries are also relative. What boundaries are we pushing here? Making unique sounding music?
Doesn't matter. As long as you are doing something that wasn't tried before, ... doesn't matter.

... if you're an established experimental artist, perhaps having balls would be releasing something conventional and poppy.
What is so ballsy about moving on to mainstream? That's playing safe, not being ballsy.

Having balls means several different things, depending on where you are as an artist. If you're a well known pop star, for example, having balls would be releasing some sort of non-conventional, experimental album. However, if you're an established experimental artist, perhaps having balls would be releasing something conventional and poppy. However, without this context, ... .
... which context?

Writing intelligent lyrics I would also say is relative since intelligence is relative. Not everyone in the audience has the same capacity for artistic or literary appreciation.
This isn't about the audience's intelligence. This is about the intelligence of the artist. What is so relative there?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 16 2015 at 19:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>