Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPA Songwriters'/Composers' Association

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 17:18
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Made some progress on this thing I'm working on.
Sounds great. I would repeat each part an insane amount of times, before moving to the next.
Thanks Thumbs Up

I do have the problem of never repeating things enough. I guess it's that I'd rather have someone listen to something they really like twice instead of dragging it on until they don't like it.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 17:31
^ That's probably why it's a good idea not to repeat certain things more than once. Don't try to second-guess the listener for how many times he wants to hear it. Let him repeat it.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 17:33
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ That's probably why it's a good idea not to repeat certain things more than once. Don't try to second-guess the listener for how many times he wants to hear it. Let him repeat it.
I acknowledge this, but at the same time, as the creator, I've already heard the music dozens of times meaning that I get bored of it much faster. I hope that makes sense?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 17:34
Of course.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 17:36

^Thoughtful poetry doesn't necessarily mean complexity. It means taking into account a personal aspect rather than just writing a rhyming essay. Instead of writing "I'm sad," or "I'm in love," try writing the things you would say and do if you were lovestruck or sad. You insult the listeners' intelligence when you make their judgements for them. Give them something to empathize with, something to judge for themselves. Don't expect them to agree or even sympathize with what you're saying, good or bad, if you force it on them.
Well chopped. Thumbs Up
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 17:54

Made some progress on this thing I'm working on.
Sounds great. I would repeat each part an insane amount of times, before moving to the next.
Thanks Thumbs Up

I do have the problem of never repeating things enough. I guess it's that I'd rather have someone listen to something they really like twice instead of dragging it on until they don't like it.
Then try not repeating it. Perhaps it could be through composed. The drums, I think, are what make the amount of times it repeats a bit off. If the parts repeated a lot more, or nothing repeated at all, it might be a bit more coherent.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 20:20
Yeah, I made the rhythm pretty weird on that one. I'll have to just experiment and see what works.

Found this file and decided to make it even creepier.

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 12:53
Today for the first time I started to dream about assembling a band to play my stuff. I'd love to have it happen at some point, but right now I see nothing but obstacles, including the lack of time and money, not knowing any instrumentalists who are somewhat close to my level (everyone I know is either a beginner or already in a dozen gigging bands) and perhaps not quite being ready for the burden of being a "bandleader". 

It's not so much that I'd like to play the stuff already released, but to have a couple of partners to jam new stuff with. I've got a half an album in my head, but it's really time consuming to try stuff out by myself.

Maybe at some point, we'll see.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 22:29
^ That's why I tried being quite flexible in my demands, to the point where agreed to be a part of a metal band ... but that didn't work 'cause that train was moving fast and I had other obligations.

So, you have a handful of demos ready?
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 07:12
^Not a second. Since this is a very distant dream (the time and money factors weigh heavy on it) I'll most likely record the second album again entirely by myself, and the one time I did make a demo for the previous album it took me two years to finally record the track properly. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 11:59
^ That's actually what I was gonna advise you - going solo, since it's tough to find the proper human resources for any of those tasks you've mentioned. That's where I'm at.

But at least you've got some songs written for the second album, right?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 15 2013 at 12:25
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 16:23
^Yeah, I think I've now got an intro and six proper tracks ranging from skeletal to just missing an instrumental section or some lyrics. Plus a bunch of other half-written stuff that might or might not fit in with this company, but will possibly end up on a more songy ep or something. 

So yeah, lyrics, that's new for me. I know I can sing, but I'm not sure if I can sing in all the styles these tracks might necessitate. That's gonna be a challenge, for sure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 17:02
I can't sing lead, of course, though I am thinking of recruiting a female lead singer. Something a la Fern Knight, but not rooted in really old-style folk.
MustardSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 10:47
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ That's actually what I was gonna advise you - going solo, since it's tough to find the proper human resources for any of those tasks you've mentioned. That's where I'm at.

That's also exactly the reason why I started recording on my own. Back when I started writing and recording songs I was living in a small, rural town dominated by Hip-Hop-fanatics - the only guys I could find who were interested in rock music where nearly 2 times as old as me and couldn't play any instruments LOL
Since then I moved to the largest city here in Austria and finally found two friends who are willing to rehearse and play my songs and are also interested in the whole Progressive Rock / Space Rock / experimental-music thing. So never give up hope I guess ;D

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 19:34
Question to the fellow association members: what songs do you find so exemplary that they influenced you as writers to the point where you analyze them and wish you could come up with something similar?

Me:   

"At The Harbour" (esp. at least the Debussy piano intro)
"Memories Of Green" (esp. piano solo)
"Huldra Og Elland" (for the melody and the sounds of the instruments)
"The Hermit" (esp. the strings after every verse)
"Afterwards" (the piano solo)
"The Undercover Man" (sax solo)
"Way To Blue" (esp. the strings and the overall atmosphere)
"River Man" (esp. the strings and the atmosphere)
anything from The Zombies' Odessey And Oracle (esp. "A Rose For Emily" and "Beechwood Park")
"Things Behind The Sun" (for the chords)
"Pink Moon" (for the simplicity)
"Deform To Form A Star" (for the structure)

How 'bout you?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 21 2013 at 19:35
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 12:53
^I'll have to think about my influences. But to be honest, I'm just a huge fan of music and happen to be a artist who happens to use music as a medium. 

However, I do have a desire to become similar to JK Broadrick and Kevin Martin in their extreme diversity.

"Hip-hop"/IDM thing I'm working on. I'm currently experimenting with pads and trying to make my music sound more "complete' instead of line of music over percussion.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 13:12
I can't really single out anything that I have in any way tried to model myself after, the few direct influences I've taken have been more like "I have to get there from here, but there's this blank spot in the middle... " and then going to a gig and by chance seeing an Ozric-type space rock band and having an epiphany, or working on something slow and heavy while listening to tons of early R.E.M. and deciding to add some melodic bass under the guitar wall. Other names I can drop are at least Kate Bush, Radiohead and Weather Report, but you surely can't tell the parts from listening. They're just little ideas spicing things up here and there.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 15:06
Right now, I'm still stealing things from Deafheaven's "Sunbather," Julia Holter's "Loud City Song," Swans' "The Seer." My influences, though, change pretty frequently. Too, I have artists which I consciously steal from because I like their ideas, but there are also artists I can't help but steal from because I like their music so much.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 06:35
I have bands that I love... but I want to create something original out of what i do. I listen to mostly avant-black metal and other weird metal groups over the last couple of years... and I definitely don't make metal. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 07:14

Right now, I'm still stealing things from Deafheaven's "Sunbather," Julia Holter's "Loud City Song," Swans' "The Seer." My influences, though, change pretty frequently. Too, I have artists which I consciously steal from because I like their ideas, but there are also artists I can't help but steal from because I like their music so much.
I had a song the band was working on last year, around the time "The Seer" came out.   It inspired me to insert a little "tribute" to the Swans in the middle of the song, a sudden eruption of dissonance where the drums drop out entirely, and then it returns to the song.  It seemed like a totally weird move at the time, but it's come to feel more natural.  My point being that I sometimes do this too.  I'm sometimes influenced by what I'm listening to at the time.

Edited by HolyMoly - September 23 2013 at 07:15
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>