Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPA Songwriters'/Composers' Association

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 10:41
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

I have bands that I love... but I want to create something original out of what i do. I listen to mostly avant-black metal and other weird metal groups over the last couple of years... and I definitely don't make metal. 
How are you gonna do that? Anything original has been rooted in or derived from something ... unless you are someone like Karlheinz Stockhausen.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 12:30
Putting together a compilation of artists I know. It would be up on my bandcamp and You Are Already Dead Records, for free, sometime in the next six months. Anyone interested?
BTW, I'd much prefer unmixed tracks of a song instead of the mixed down thing, so I can mix and master it.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 14:05
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I have bands that I love... but I want to create something original out of what i do. I listen to mostly avant-black metal and other weird metal groups over the last couple of years... and I definitely don't make metal. 
How are you gonna do that? Anything original has been rooted in or derived from something ... unless you are someone like Karlheinz Stockhausen.

The thing is, that I'm probably not ever going to be able to create something original truly, but all I can do is try and reproduce what my vision is, and if its not original, at least it will be my own and no one else's.

I know it's impossible to be 100% original but there are artists that get close. Or at least their bands have such variety with them that no one has done it the way they have done it before.

Meh. It's very taxing mentally but somewhere within the hundreds and hundreds of pages of sheet music I have written I know there are some original ideas at least.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 17:34

Stockhausen had inspiration too, particularly jazz.

All you have to do to separate yourself from your influences is put limits on yourself that other artists don't. For instance, if you listen to metal and don't write metal. Or, in Stockhausen's case, you put mathematical or philosophical limits on yourself to create something entirely different. Of course, even when you separate yourself from your influences, you cannot separate your influences from yourself. They will always permeate your writing. But different limits, such as technology or compositional systems, will yield different results than influences who did not place the same limits on themselves. I find it fascinating what limits artists operate under. For instance, Joy Division's sound was mainly found because the guitarist's amp was small and didn't distort unless it was turned all the way up. For the bass player to be heard, he needed to play higher up on the fretboard. For many good songwriters, limits come from a desire to provide a setting for the lyrics consistent with the songwriter's artistic vision. For many composers it is a similar case— where limits come directly from artistic vision. But it is also often the case that something greater than the artist imagined was born through different limits than that with which he was familiar.
Timbo1961 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 06:08
Hi Everyone. 

I'm lead singer and keyboard player in the ShouldBe Band a 7-piece band from Snodland, England.

I love groups like Genesis, IQ and Steve Hackett, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Marillion and Pink Floyd but, since I am not as prodigious a talent as Tony Banks, Martin Orford or Rick Wakeman, I decided to create a new branch of progressive music called punk-prog (that isn't to say I condone spitting on/swearing at one's audience!) instead, my idea is to attempt to create the atmospheres that my heroes achieve but with many less notes!

Anyway, I have a couple of examples of our work, please be gentle!:
http://soundcloud.com/the-shouldbe-band/love-within/s-EG4Lw
http://soundcloud.com/the-shouldbe-band/newdirection/s-uS3bl

All the best 

Timbo
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 14:39
My latest composition. Feedback is welcome, positive and negative alike. Excuse the sh*t recording quality.

"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:05
^ That's really awesome. Thumbs Up Too bad I don't know a whole lot of piano-oriented jazz music outside of McCoy Tyner. Guess I have to keep on digging. Who inspired you to right that tune?

I think it would be really cool if someone could write a poppy song and then stick something like this into it. Gotta go through my Fiona Apple selection and see if she pulled off something like that.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:27

^ That's really awesome. Thumbs Up Too bad I don't know a whole lot of piano-oriented jazz music outside of McCoy Tyner. Guess I have to keep on digging. Who inspired you to right that tune?

I think it would be really cool if someone could write a poppy song and then stick something like this into it. Gotta go through my Fiona Apple selection and see if she pulled off something like that.

You're welcome ;)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 15:04

You're welcome ;)

The intro is nightmare fuel... Nice tune though!

Arnold Schoenberg
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 02:19
Hello everyone, my name is Joseph Dorsey, and I have a couple of bands/projects. I'd love to connect with other artists on this site, and in turn, I hope you enjoy some of my music and would like to collaborate someday. I'm always looking to work with new people! Send me a message:

UNTIL SUNRISE (post rock/lo-fi)
http://untilsunrise.bandcamp.com
New album coming soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9CrNZeRmj4
Progarchives link: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6003

OCEAN ARCHITECTURE (progressive metal)
https://oceanarchitecturetn.bandcamp.com
Progarchives link: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7304

INVOLVED (Electronic)
https://involved.bandcamp.com
New album pending, to be released within the next few months
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 19:01
Here's my latest:

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 21:22
^ Nice.  I was thinking that this piece might benefit from diversity in pace, but there is a bit of that.

For how long have you been writing music?

Is it just me, or is that video actually flipped?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 16 2013 at 21:25
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 23:37
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Here's my latest:

You're in England? Poop.

I've been looking for someone that can play this.
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/track/pyro-cyclone-dances-the-weathervane-waltz
(You have to wait until the middle of the song till it gets difficult. Very simple before that.)

But I haven't met many keyboardists that seem to be great. You're pretty dang good. :-D
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 10:02
Dayvenkirq: I've been writing music for about ten years now but first started to study it properly over the last 5-6 years And yeah, it is flipped... Macbooks are great but when they video it gets reversed which is a slight pain!

Smurph: I'm flattered! And regarding the tune you posted, if you want me to record anything then there is always the power of the internet?

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 21:23
Been gone for a while. Glad to see some more posts in this thread.

Nice stuff as always, Pessimist.

I'm ashamed I haven't posted anything. No recordings have been made yet. King Stevens has had only two major gigs so far, and none of them good enough to post. I could make a list of excuses, but I'll only say that the project has become difficult to manage.

I've been trying to work on some of my own stuff. I'll post demos as soon as I can record them. I don't have my own laptop, so I usually use my brother's to record. That option hasn't been too available currently. And as I may be moving in less than a year, I'm worried to start anything big that I can't finish.

If anybody can knock some sense into me, please do it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 00:13
^ Knock some sense into you? Dude, there seem to be a lot of factors that are out of your control. Don't work too hard. Now, me, on the other hand, ... I'm still developing my own lyrical style at a lazy pace. Bits and pieces everywhere. I'm not aspiring to top any greats, though.

As for the use of the laptop ... I use my laptop, and the sound quality sucks. That's the problem with the built-in speakers. So, if I post something (and I hope that day will come soon), I'm just gonna use my phone for recording. Cleaner, if not real clean. There might be overdubs, but no guarantees.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 21 2013 at 00:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 09:39
I suppose I'll just work with in my means. I did get to record something last night. I'm usually working with an audio interface and, when I'm lucky, mics, so recording quality is pretty good, although I'm still learning the art. I really have no excuse not to at least post demos, so I'll post one soon.

Looking forward to whatever you have to post.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 10:23
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Nice stuff as always, Pessimist.

Embarrassed

Arnold Schoenberg
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 08:03

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 13:23
^ Very nice second half. Thumbs Up As for the rest, ... I'm personally not a fan of soft jazz, so I'm not eligible to say a word about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>