Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBotch - Tech/Extreme (Mathcore)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Botch - Tech/Extreme (Mathcore)
    Posted: August 24 2013 at 21:15
I just returned from Basic Combat Training for the Army, and all the intensity there has had me feeling in the mood for technical and math-minded metal, so I shall present for you the first of many upcoming suggestions that fit under the monikers of math metal, mathcore, progressive death metal, technical metal, jazzcore, etc.

Botch hails from my home state of Washington, in the city of Tacoma, just an hour and half away from me. Quite the interesting band here, they exemplify many experimental traits as well, so perhaps they may find some love there as well (this goes for many mathcore/djent/tech bands that I find as well).

Extended mathcore with classical stylings and a choir up above, very good stuff.

"Tacoma, Seattle WAUnited States (1993 – 2002)

With polyrhythmic guitar stylings, raw vocals, progressive song structures, and a unique sound, Botch were prominent in the underground hardcore scene from 1993 until 2002.

In May 1998, the four-piece from Tacoma, Washington released their first album, American Nervoso.

On November 30, 1999, Hydra Head released Botch’s We Are the Romans. Since its initial release, bands have been influenced by its style, creating, to many, what is now called mathcore

Recently, Hydra Head Records has released Unifying Themes Redux, an anthology of EPs and compilation tracks as well as a few unreleased tracks and a live set that was originally released by Excursion Records. In addition to this, on December 5 Hydra Head released 061502, a CD/DVD of Botch’s final show.

American Nervoso was remastered and re-released in July 2007. The new version included four demo tracks and an extended version of Spitting Black. In September 2007 Hydra Head released a deluxe edition of We Are the Romans featuring two discs; the first being the actual album, and the second filled with seven demos from the album and four live tracks.

Since their break-up in 2002, members have gone on to take part in bands such as Minus the BearThese Arms Are SnakesRoy, and Russian Circles. After a long hiatus, singer Dave Verellen has recently returned to the scene with Narrows.

Botch was:
Dave Verellen (vocals)
Brian Cook (bass)
Dave Knudson (guitar)
Tim Latona (drums)"

A couple more videos to showcase their incredibly unique sound:

The first of those is a very unusual electronic song, helping to show the heavy variance they use in their songwriting, which is further exemplified by the very subdued second song, "Afgamistam."
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 07:00
Originally posted by CoolJimmi CoolJimmi wrote:

... the first of many upcoming suggestions that fit under the monikers of math metal, mathcore, progressive death metal, technical metal, jazzcore, etc...

How many is many?

Botch were added to Progfreak five years ago:

and they are on MMA as metalcore:

They are known to the Metal Team here but don't appear to have been evaluated at any point. Hmm. Anyway, I'll have a listen later. 
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 12:22
Well, that first video certainly sounds like prog while the second sure doesn't. Not really hearing a great deal of prog influence in the other three vids either, but I'll pass your suggestion on to the team. Might be a while before you hear anything, just saying.
CoolJimmi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 23:47
They are likely far more on the 'tech' side rather than the 'prog' side. And it is my understanding that having a great deal of the first does not make up for a lack of the second, correct?

And many in this case equals a few dozen, I do believe Wink
CoolJimmi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 23:49
And the We Are the Romans album is likely the most proggy of their output, and it is quite proggy. Their last album does fairly well in that regard, as well, but the first one (of which the last 3 videos hail from) contains mostly chaotic math nonsense, haha.
 Post Reply Post Reply