Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Phish may cover Lamb w/ Peter Gabriel on Halloween
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhish may cover Lamb w/ Peter Gabriel on Halloween

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phish may cover Lamb w/ Peter Gabriel on Halloween
    Posted: August 27 2013 at 19:35
At least, that's what MIGHT be happening...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/phish-peter-gabriel-lamb-lies-down-on-broadway/

Nothing has been confirmed. However, Peter finishes his tour on October 25, and some things mentioned on Phish.net forums seem to indicate that it may happen.

However, some say Gabriel wouldn't do it because he would require months of rehearsal.

How do you feel about this? Would you want this to happen? I think it'd be cool, though I don't know if the "average" Phish phan would appreciate the album being played. Then again, most didn't know The Talking Heads album they covered back in 1996, and most people loved that, so who knows?

Edited by darkshade - August 27 2013 at 19:36
floydgenesis1313 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 20:38
Love it.
Things are fine odd. But we all like it even.-T.Smith
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 20:45
I read it was unlikely this year--But what;s wrong with doing it with the original guys---everyone wants to see it---as much as I admire Phish, but not a big fan or anything---I don;t think the average Phish fan would know the album let alone like it---but if this is all we get I'd take a listen.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 21:19
Phil Collins is retired and can't drum for medical reasons, so doing it with (all of) the original guys is out of the question.
I still need to get into Phish
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 22:28
That's cool
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 23:00
The Lamb is the album I like the least of the Classic era Genesis albums. There may even be some Collins led albums that I like better than that. So I don't really care so much for this. Now, if "Selling England" was to be toured... that would be another thing. Given that "The Lamb" is a double album, both Selling England and Foxtrot would fit instead of it... and that would be something I would really be excited about.

Edited by Dellinger - August 27 2013 at 23:02
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 02:22
 i would be disappointed if Hackett was not welcomed to join in. 

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 07:24
Phish is so off the wall that this news doesn't even surprise me!  they have a long track record of covering famous albums on Halloween (I got to witness the '96 Talking Heads album show in person), and they generally do an admirable job.   I have no doubt that Phish could faithfully recreate the album instrumentally, in fact I think it fits their talents well (unlike, say, The White Album which they did in '94, or Loaded in '98).   They did a wonderful version of Watcher of the Skies for some awards show somethingorother a few years back.   The big question mark for them, to me, is always the vocals.  Neither Anastasio nor McConnell have a whole lot of vocal range, and it's hard to imagine them pulling off, say, "In the Cage" or even "the Lamia".  Last I heard Gabriel, his voice still sounded quite good, so if this is all true and not some fanciful rumor, then I say bring it on.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 07:40
I'm a rare Phish fan who loves their albums (well, some of them) but can't stand their concerts. I like the live albums but I saw them once and I was so annoyed by the crowd of Deadhead wannabes I left before it was over. I guess it's the fans I don't like.

HolyMoly's right about the vocals. I read a review somewhere that said the vocals were "Homely". That's about right.

I'd love to see and hear it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 07:45
So Steve, that's you screaming on Live Phish Vol. 15? Wink

@ Stegor, I think you ran into a bad Phish crowd, usually everyone is friendly and is just trying to have a good time. I've seen them twice, and never had a problem.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 07:45
Ten bucks says they'd get Fishman to sing "Counting out Time" and put a vacuum cleaner solo in the middle.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 07:47
That would be amazing.

Speaking of Hackett, maybe he'd pop in during one or two songs as a surprise like he did with Transatlantic.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 08:03
Heh I read that as Fish, as in the ex-Marillion singer, joining up with Gabriel to do this thingLOL
I'm kinda glad it's the band we're talking about. I'd pay money to go see this show, especially if I had any.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 28 2013 at 08:04
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 08:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

So Steve, that's you screaming on Live Phish Vol. 15? Wink

I am so thankful that show got a formal CD release.  Remain in Light has never sounded better  Smile

-Kehlog Albran
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 09:34
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Phil Collins is retired and can't drum for medical reasons, so doing it with (all of) the original guys is out of the question.
I still need to get into Phish

Don't need Phil on drums--Chester can play or even Gabriels great assortment of drummers---Phil can stand there and sing backup and play some incidental percussionLOL  But not matter what you have to have guitar genius Mr Hackett as of all of them he's playing better than ever.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 09:38
I believe Trey Anastasio has a lot of Steve Hackett's guitar style in his playing.  The first Phish song I ever heard, "The Squirming Coil", could almost pass for an early Genesis song.

-Kehlog Albran
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 11:47
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I'm a rare Phish fan who loves their albums (well, some of them) but can't stand their concerts. I like the live albums but I saw them once and I was so annoyed by the crowd of Deadhead wannabes I left before it was over. I guess it's the fans I don't like.

This.

i used to go see them in a club in Boston before they were well known.
It was very enjoyable.
After they became the new dead, the cowds were unbearable.
On show, I had promo tickets, and the crowd of ticket baggars clogged the 4-lane highway for miles, hours before the show.

Over an hour into the show, I was still sitting in my car, a couple of miles from the venue.  I sold the tickets to a Fishhead for well over face value, and I'm sure the guy missed most of the show, if not all of it.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 11:51
This would be quite cool, gives Gabriel a chance to test the waters again. I think he would only do it if he's prepared, like he mentioned.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 11:56
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

This.

i used to go see them in a club in Boston before they were well known.
It was very enjoyable.
After they became the new dead, the cowds were unbearable.
On show, I had promo tickets, and the crowd of ticket baggars clogged the 4-lane highway for miles, hours before the show.

Over an hour into the show, I was still sitting in my car, a couple of miles from the venue.  I sold the tickets to a Fishhead for well over face value, and I'm sure the guy missed most of the show, if not all of it.
I didn't mind the Deadhead wannabes per se, but I stopped going to see them after about 1998, which is when they started playing amphitheaters instead of small to medium sized theater venues.  That, plus I was nearly 30 by then, and starting to feel old at those shows, which had mostly college kids in the audience.  It became a less personal kind of concert experience.  Seeing them up close in the early days was really the way to see them.  They don't look particularly exciting from a distance, and a lot of the enjoyment of their improvisational segments came out of seeing them really push themselves on stage - an effect that's kind of lost when you're 75 yards away.

-Kehlog Albran
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 14:39
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Phish is so off the wall that this news doesn't even surprise me!  they have a long track record of covering famous albums on Halloween (I got to witness the '96 Talking Heads album show in person), and they generally do an admirable job.   I have no doubt that Phish could faithfully recreate the album instrumentally, in fact I think it fits their talents well (unlike, say, The White Album which they did in '94, or Loaded in '98).   They did a wonderful version of Watcher of the Skies for some awards show somethingorother a few years back.   The big question mark for them, to me, is always the vocals.  Neither Anastasio nor McConnell have a whole lot of vocal range, and it's hard to imagine them pulling off, say, "In the Cage" or even "the Lamia".  Last I heard Gabriel, his voice still sounded quite good, so if this is all true and not some fanciful rumor, then I say bring it on.

Neither does Gabriel have much range. I actually have never been much of a fan of his singing, so I actually welcome any oportunity to hear Gabriel era Genesis music sung by other people... in some cases they even "fix" the things I might have not liked of the original song.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>