FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeeking Drum'n'Bass & DJ Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking Drum'n'Bass & DJ Recommendations
    Posted: August 30 2013 at 19:00

Back in high school before the age of MP3 players and car adapters and a couple of years before I got into prog, I used to listen to a lot more radio than I do now. The sclerotic rock stations and vapid pop stations eventually drove me in search of new pastures and that lead me to prog, but there was usually one radio station I could count on to at least play something very interesting. It was CJSW, the University of Calgary's radio station. And, most weeknights at around 10pm they used to have an excellent program dedicated to drum'n'bass. I never really pursued the genre, but I did like it quite a bit.

Now that my tastes have diversified even further, I'm looking to add a little more electronic to my music collection. I really love Daft Punk's new album. The best track of it in my mind is Contact which is loaded with some pretty high calibre drumming (courtesy of a former member of Weather Report FYI) and it reminded me of that old program.

Long story long, it got me thinking of what is a relatively obscure genre in this day in age of maddeningly derivative dubstep. Does an one know of any good artists or resources for Drum'n'Bass? I'd really like check it out again.

Separately, I am also interested in some oldschool analog scratch DJ stuff too. I remember being bored one Saturday morning watching one of really interesting pop/culture music shows that would pop up for a short period every now and then disappear. I remember one of them highlighting some scratch DJ some stuff one time and finding it very intriguing. But this was even before Google really took off, so I’ve really only ever been left with that one moment of exposure. Sadly, I know even less about where to start with scratch than drum'n'bass. If anyone has any recommendations here too I would be grateful.

Edit: My interest in scratch is purely instrumental. I have no particular interest in rap.

Edited by R-A-N-M-A - August 30 2013 at 19:04
 Post Reply Post Reply