Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blacklands (Germany) for...the dustbin, it seems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlacklands (Germany) for...the dustbin, it seems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blacklands (Germany) for...the dustbin, it seems
    Posted: September 03 2013 at 19:48
A search in the public forum reveals nothing for this band, who were featured on the Progstreaming website some months back.

However, we have this:

Blacklands

DateUserChartAction
3dRune2000Metal (Rune2000)
6dbonnekMetal (bonnek)
27dDamoXt7942Neo (DamoXt7942)
27dDamoXt7942Neo-> Move
27dProg_SothothMetal (Prog_Sothoth)
1MaapatsosMetal (aapatsos)
1MaapatsosMetal-> New
1MMartyMcFly89Crossover-> Move
1MMartyMcFly89Crossover (MartyMcFly89)
1MkevrowlandCrossover (kevrowland)
1MEvolverCrossover (Evolver)
1MWindhawkCrossover (Windhawk)
1MWindhawkCrossover-> New
3Mandyman1125Heavy-> Move
3Mandyman1125Heavy (andyman1125)
4MaapatsosHeavy (aapatsos)
4Mandyman1125Heavy-> New

and this:

and this:

and this

and this:

Confused

No point making a proper thread for this band, since they appear to have already 'had their chips', but I just thought that folks out here in the big wide World should know that they have at least passed through here...  Ermm
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 05:06
I can appreciate your frustration David. From the above we can see they've had seven favourable votes, but hopefully some future release will see them finding a place here eventually.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 06:43
Let's hope so Chris.  'A New Dawn' is a very fine album indeed, but because it covers several styles during the course of its almost 80 minutes of music, no team seems prepared to commit to them.

Shame that the Crossover boys didn't include an S.A.E. when they sent this over to Metal...Either that or a table tennis bat!! LOL
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 07:08
^ Dave, this band is still under evaluation, my opinion was stated in the thread, so let's just wait for the team decision. Several teams had their input so I think this will be a well-thought of decision in the end.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 07:16
Thanks for this input Thanos - I was a bit concerned that with two 'reject' votes cast in Metal (rather than 'move') and three other teams already having had a look (listen), they were pretty well done for. Fingers, toes and all other available appendages crossed... Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 07:28
I suspect the problem here is simply that it isn't Progressive Rock and certainly not Progressive Melodic Rock. It is what you'd get if you tried to invent Progressive Rock from Progressive Metal without every hearing what Progressive Rock sound like. This is to Prog Rock what Power Metal is to Prog Metal - close but not close enough. I can understand Xover & Heavy not wanting them.
What?
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 17:59
The metal team finished their evaluation now, and it seems that this band will not make into the database indeed.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 03:46
A great shame as far as I personally am concerned, but if it isn't heard by people on here as prog, then I accept that. My own copy will not be moving from the 'prog' folder where it is currently stored though, despite this verdict. We each have our own interpretation of the styles of music that can be associated with this word, I guess...and my 'prog' folder is probably a good deal more inclusive than most. LOL
Thanks very much for updating the thread, Olav. Thumbs Up

I guess it can be locked off now. Embarrassed
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 15:12
unless another team wants to have the honours
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 16:45
Well, I'd have certainly voted 'yes' for inclusion when I was part of the Crossover team, 'cos that's where I think it belongs. OK, the prog in this album is mixed with AOR, Melodic Power Metal and I guess a host of other styles too over the course of its not inconsiderable length, but does this really mean that the band doesn't belong here at all? Ermm
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 17:11
And I would have voted 'no' for inclusion when I was part of the Crossover team, so there you go, opinions differ.

What?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 06:42
LMAO!! At the risk of upsetting Dean again, who knows far more about prog than I EVER will, and for whom I have the greatest respect...Blacklands have released a new album today! Embarrassed

"Peaceful Shores" - The new album by Blacklands!

"A musical journey where Rock meets Classic, Prog, Funk, Swing, Pop, Metal, Cabaret, Rap, Gospel & Blues! 11 brand new songs of finest melodic progressive rock! Almost 80 minutes of total playing time featuring special guest vocalists from Aeverium, Devilusion & Hydra`s Fate"  (not my words!).

Out on May 31st 2016 - available as a special limited edition digipak CD, & in MP3 format on all the usual download sites.

Doesn't bring anything new to the table really, but I thought I'd bump the thread anyway so folks can have a listen and decide for themselves. LOL

Hear five tracks from it (and some older material) on Chris Papadakis's special 'Blacklands' show which was aired on Mercury Radio last week: https://www.mixcloud.com/mercurycloud/chris-p-se02-71-23-5-2016/ - the commentary in between tracks is predominately in Greek, but the salient points are repeated in English.

Errrm...I'll go now...!  
Edit: Just in case this latest suggestion for Blacklands by black_diamond gets removed from the forum for whatever reason (though hopefully admins will merge it with this one, or perhaps just lock one of them), here is the source of the bio for Blacklands that Andrew included in his post: http://www.artisttrove.com/artist/197662586931303/Blacklands. You never know...It just might come in handy one day... LOL Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - May 31 2016 at 07:23
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 05:01
If you have a link for streaming the full new album, please drop it here, thanks
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:44
Well, the new album still hasn't made its way onto spotify or progstreaming, but a pretty accurate review of it has been posted on the Ravenheart website: http://www.ravenheartmusic.com/products-group-95.html (the review will drop down the page and require a bit of scrolling to access it as more recent reviews are added to the page).

I'll post the text of it here anyway:

BLACKLANDS - ’PEACEFUL SHORES'

(Blacklands Music) Reviewed 12th June 2016

"Blacklands was founded in 2006 by Heavenwood drummer Thomas Kelleners and in 2007 Manfred Reinecke and singer Moja Nardelli joined the band. Since the ‘early days’ there have been some line up changes along the way, not helped unfortunately after the completion of the production of this cd, that saw singer Moja then leaving the band citing personal reasons. Blacklands didn’t hang around in finding a replacement, with the awesome Tanja Magolei-Schupper taking over vocal duties. Within three months, the entire album was re-sung and all artwork and pictures successfully re-edited. And that now takes us onto the album itself. This is the band’s second full length album and like the debut, is another near 80 minute epic that again is a classic Rock and Metal album, knocking on the door of Progressive Rock and Metal. This in turn offering up stax of melody in the process and a damn fine piece of musical work it is too. Highlights to be honest are too numerous to mention, as there is a tsunami of massive tunes, but there are personal faves of mine which I am sure will change with each listen. These fave cuts currently include the catchy ‘Alone Again’ with its amazing chorus, the mid-tempo ‘The River’, the metallic ‘Distant Warning’ with its thundering guitar and awesome keyboard interplay, the pompous 9+ minute ‘Grand Circles’, 'T.I.M.E' with its 40s Jazz band feel and the closing 16+ minute epic ‘Winter Skies’ (feat Markus Brand). To be honest, I have fallen in love with this CD, close on 80 minutes of awesomeness in-fact. An album trailer can be viewed at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TxuO4HOKg - well recommended...."  9/10 (Dave)

The key phrase here is probably "...knocking on the door of Progressive Rock and Metal". It is probably going to be the case that even if someone actually goes to the door to answer it, the band will ultimately get a similar treatment to that received by the Jehova's Witnesses that wander up and down my street from time to time! Embarrassed

Impressive how they re-did the whole album within three months after the original singer quit though. Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply