Topic ClosedNew Prog Collective album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Prog Collective album
    Posted: September 03 2013 at 22:00
So, now Billy Sherwood is releasing a new Prog Collective album, once again with lot's of invited prog legends and so on.

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/the-prog-collective-premiere-shining-diamonds/
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 00:28
I wonder why last year's project Sherwood was involved in, Nektar's 'A Spoonful Of Time', wasn't released as a 'Prog Collective' ?? It may have been received better had it not been branded a 'Nektar' album.....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 00:51
^^^Didn't that project entail Nektar covering other bands' songs?

Looks like this new one has some Shatnerizing on it!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 01:34
[QUOTE=verslibre] ^^^Didn't that project entail Nektar covering other bands' songs?

Looks like this new one has some Shatnerizing on it!/QUOTE]

Yes, this is true - Nektar probably took on the lion's share of making it happen, but with such an extensive guest-list, featuring no less than 21 contributors (from Bobby Kimball to Joel Vandroogenbroeck, Nik Turner to Michael Pinella), and Billy Sherwood playing his part, it seems like it should've been a 'Prog Collective'. The result is fine, either way. I like it, many don't.

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 04 2013 at 01:35
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 21:18
I don't know that Nektar album, but it sounds like Sherwood might just have been a guest on it, while the Prog Collective thing is his own project. Of course, I may not even know what I'm talking about (well, at least I do know that the Prog Collective is his project, but don't really know anything about Nektar).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 00:16
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't know that Nektar album, but it sounds like Sherwood might just have been a guest on it, while the Prog Collective thing is his own project. Of course, I may not even know what I'm talking about (well, at least I do know that the Prog Collective is his project, but don't really know anything about Nektar).
Well, Sherwood is, I suppose, the 'studio bassist', engineer and knob twiddler ( ) at the mixing desk so he is a 'part' of the band to an extent. The recent covers album they partook in is quite enjoyable, nothing you'd be offended by. Wakeman contributes an excellent, lengthy solo to the version of 10CC's 'Im Not In Love'.
The newest Nektar album, 'Time Machine', features, what I consider, exquisite bass lines from Sherwood. He is one fine musician, and studio-hand.

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 05 2013 at 00:20
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 08:43
He is a great bassist and guitarist, for that matter.  He songs are just so boring.  Sad to see he puts so much work into absolutely mediocre music.  This new song is actually memorable though.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 18:00
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

He is a great bassist and guitarist, for that matter.  He songs are just so boring.  Sad to see he puts so much work into absolutely mediocre music.  This new song is actually memorable though.

And he's also a keyboard player and a singer. Not particularly amazing at those, I guess, but at least good. However, I'm afraid I agree about the mediocre music thing. I have checked out some projectos of his with interest because of the people he surrounds himself with, and usually end up dissapointed... and oh man, I can easily tell a Sherwood song just because of the vocal arrangements, regardless who is singing, and those arrangements are boring (oh yeah, he managed to ruin the fabulous Annie Haslams voice on the first Prog Collective album). So, I'm actually not so sure I really find it a good thing about the new Collective album... but I just don't enirely loose hope (even if it's a fool's hope). I guess I'll have to check out that new song though, I'm afraid I haven't done so yet.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 00:07
Sherwood gives an absolutely top-notch performance on 'Time Machine' - really good compositions by Roye Albrighton where Sherwood was allowed free-reign to play as he wishes. He learnt a thing or 3 from Squire !!

I also have 'The Ladder', which features him, somewhere - never really noticed his part on that album though.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 13:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Sherwood gives an absolutely top-notch performance on 'Time Machine' - really good compositions by Roye Albrighton where Sherwood was allowed free-reign to play as he wishes. He learnt a thing or 3 from Squire !!

I also have 'The Ladder', which features him, somewhere - never really noticed his part on that album though.

He plays on "The Ladder" and "Open your Eyes". As far as I understand, he contributes backing vocals (and perhaps some bits of lead vocals), and additional guitars and keyboards. Perhaps he also helped with songwriting (you can tell he was involved because of the way the songs sound).
 Post Reply Post Reply