Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDrug Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: What is your position on drug legislation??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [13.79%]
11 [37.93%]
14 [48.28%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drug Law
    Posted: September 05 2013 at 08:37
This is a deep topic that has been the subject of many upon many a Question Time debate in the U, and I can imagine it is an ongoing issue across the world. I've given three options in the poll, but like all political views there are all the shades in between to consider, and it would be helpful for the debate if all voters would specify where they stand in the comments below.

As far as my personal opinion goes I am for decriminalisation. Not only that, but I think drug addiction should be seen as a medical illness and not a criminal offense. A few of my friends are or have once been addicted to narcotics and I've witnessed first hand that it really IS a gross psychological and medical issue. Further more I do not agree with methadone or even buprenorphine as a substitute to ween addicts off heroin as studies have shown that they are just as detremental and have proven to be an ineffective method of curbing the addiction.

There is a great video clip of Russel Brand talking about it and making some very valid points on the subject. Although I don't particularly like the guy, I do find myself agreeing with him on this topic.

Just to clarify, any commenting on drug consumption or drug supplying outside of the subject matter, i.e. not regarding its legality, will not be tolerated and will no doubt be removed by the admins. I really hope that such comments do not emerge as this is an important subject and I would hate to see the thread closed because of irresponsible comments. I'm sure you pleasant folk on PA will post responsibly, but I must put this disclaimer.

Once more, comments on THE LEGAL POSITION OF DRUGS ONLY PLEASE.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 08:43
I voted legalization, but then again I'm pretty much an anarchist.
I don't think the government can keep people from reaching moods or physical states by prohibiting a type of product.

P.S. Nice idea for a poll!

Edited by twseel - September 05 2013 at 08:44
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 09:08
Decriminalization basically does nothing to keep the drug trade out of the gangs/criminal elements, nor out of kids' hands (which is something the government at least are concerned about).  Legalization makes much more sense for soft drugs.  That way they can tax them too, same as liquor and tobacco.  I don't see something like meth or crack or mescaline being legalized, but marijuana, shrooms and similar probably make sense.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - September 05 2013 at 09:08
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 09:57
Full-on legalization. For everybody's sake (except law enforcement agencies and prisons who will lose one of their major cash cows). It will benefit not only the US but Mexico and other places where the US' stupid policies have generated violence and death. It will be better for addicts in many ways. It will be better for our revenues. And it will be better for parents IF they choose not to treat it as taboo as alcohol is treated in the US (can't drink till 21? that's so ridiculous)and instead educate and prevent use through education and not brute stupid force. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 09:58
But also, I forgot: it is compatible with a supposedly free society. 
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 11:44
Legalisation without any restraints: if people can legally buy and drink enough alcohol to die from ethylic coma, they should be able to do the same with ecstasy, heroine, PCP and all that stuff.

Of course, I don't consume any kind of drugs (I can't even stand the foul stench of marijuana), but I would be glad to see my neighbours becoming zombies hooked to their needles.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 11:52
Legalization. The past say hundred years of the opposite has done the human race nothing good. There is a huge responsibility involved though, and I'm not sure most folks are aware of this. It's dangerous to force one's 'freedom' onto innocent bystanders. It's a tightrope really. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 11:54
They are probably zombies hooked on some legal sh*t anyway.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 11:58
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Legalisation without any restraints: if people can legally buy and drink enough alcohol to die from ethylic coma, they should be able to do the same with ecstasy, heroine, PCP and all that stuff.

Of course, I don't consume any kind of drugs (I can't even stand the foul stench of marijuana), but I would be glad to see my neighbours becoming zombies hooked to their needles.

Exactly. It's your fault if you can't handle what is legal and what isn't.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 12:10
The trouble is in the west we still have a prominent relative proletariat, the poorer portion not having access to the education that is required to prevent heroin, cocaine, ketamine and methamphetamine use. Looking at how often and how much pretty much everyone drinks in the UK, I fear that these drugs will rapidly become more widespread if it is entirely legalised. Of course there is not enough data to back this up, but it is only my assumption. On the other hand, full prohibition is, I feel, a violation of our freedom.

Plus the services to get off heroin will be a lot more costly under legalisation than decriminalisation and thus less accessible. I mean just look at the price of Nicorette products... It's cheaper to buy cigarettes!

Edited by The Pessimist - September 05 2013 at 12:12
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 12:37
If you could forbid something for being harmful and addictive you could instantly prohibit the use of many popular video games and Sudoku(for example).
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 12:50
The people that fall in addiction with drugs being illegal are the same ones that would if it were legal. I don't think class has anything to do with this. Alcohol prohibition and alcohol tabooism like in the current US has shown to be terrible at preventing people who want to drink from actuay doing so.

The services to get off heroin would be costly, maybe, the equivalent to nicorette patches wouldn't be extremely cheap, maybe, but they would be there. Drugs would have better regulated quality and would drop in price, theft for drugs and overdose would diminish, the rush to obtain the next hit as if it were going to be the last in the minds of addicts would be lessened. And the cost of "services" to keep addicts off the streets and dealers off the street would go down because there wouldn't be an industry devoted to make profit out of the insane drug war.

But this industry is the reason the "war o drugs" will never end.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 12:53
Just for clarification purposes, what is the difference between decriminalization and legalization?  Doesn't making it not criminal in effect make it legal?  Or would that mean that it isn't criminal to use but it is still criminal to sell?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 12:57
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Just for clarification purposes, what is the difference between decriminalization and legalization?  

Decriminalization analogy:  (being caught) smoking pot would be equivalent to getting a speeding ticket.

While not fully legal, you would not be charged with a crime for engaging in it.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

If you could forbid something for being harmful and addictive you could instantly prohibit the use of many popular video games and Sudoku(for example).

By that logic, you could describe literally any hobby ever as harmful and addictive.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 16:06
I'm for legalization. A person should be free to consume whatever he wants.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 16:17
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

By that logic, you could describe literally any hobby ever as harmful and addictive.

For real my parents wanted me to speak to a counselor about music addiction.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 17:11
Drugs are very bad for the government and should be illegalized at once!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 17:20
Decriminalisation

I actually favor full out legalization of marijuana, all the rest should be decriminalized. In theory, I suppose legalizing all drugs makes sense but in reality (damn real life eh?) such an idea would never get support...so decrim all + legalize marijuana I'd say is my ideal, realistic, goal
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 17:23
"With great trips comes great responsibility"
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>