Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDrug Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: What is your position on drug legislation??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [13.79%]
11 [37.93%]
14 [48.28%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 13:07
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

If you could forbid something for being harmful and addictive you could instantly prohibit the use of many popular video games and Sudoku(for example).

By that logic, you could describe literally any hobby ever as harmful and addictive.
Indeed. Any hobby that pulls you to sitting inside for a long time will be as harmful as drugs on the long term.
Drugs is only forbidden because the addictive pleasure comes from an otherwise harmless substance instead of a fun concept.

Well, no.  There is a pretty obvious physical difference when you are actually putting foreign plants or chemicals in your body.  Even drugs that aren't proven to be chemically addicting at all - and something like pot is NOT an example of that, though it is less addicting that alcohol or tobacco - are affecting your body in a way that a sport or book or whatever isn't.

If a child drops acid it can and probably will have a negative effect on their development.  The same is not true of listening to music.

This is why nobody (in politics) really favours legalizing recreational drugs outright.  Some regulation is necessary.

What age do you consider 'a child' and why would it , a psychedelic, automatically have a 'negative effect'..?

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 18:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

If you could forbid something for being harmful and addictive you could instantly prohibit the use of many popular video games and Sudoku(for example).

By that logic, you could describe literally any hobby ever as harmful and addictive.
Indeed. Any hobby that pulls you to sitting inside for a long time will be as harmful as drugs on the long term.
Drugs is only forbidden because the addictive pleasure comes from an otherwise harmless substance instead of a fun concept.

Well, no.  There is a pretty obvious physical difference when you are actually putting foreign plants or chemicals in your body.  Even drugs that aren't proven to be chemically addicting at all - and something like pot is NOT an example of that, though it is less addicting that alcohol or tobacco - are affecting your body in a way that a sport or book or whatever isn't.

If a child drops acid it can and probably will have a negative effect on their development.  The same is not true of listening to music.

This is why nobody (in politics) really favours legalizing recreational drugs outright.  Some regulation is necessary.

What age do you consider 'a child' and why would it , a psychedelic, automatically have a 'negative effect'..?

I agree with the vagueness of the first issue you mentioned, but a psychedelic would be more likely to harm a child due to it activating certain parts of the developing brain prematurely. If we consider an adult to be someone who's brain and body are fully developed then we are talking 21/22 years of age. Mind altering substances generally have negative effects on the brain, which are magnified when a brain is developing.

Dean, I agree with you, perhaps my statement was a tad careless and ambiguous... I meant to really ask what your views were on penalizing possession?
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 10:32
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I agree with the vagueness of the first issue you mentioned, but a psychedelic would be more likely to harm a child due to it activating certain parts of the developing brain prematurely. If we consider an adult to be someone who's brain and body are fully developed then we are talking 21/22 years of age. Mind altering substances generally have negative effects on the brain, which are magnified when a brain is developing.

Activating certain parts of the brain..? Psychedelics don't  really 'activate' anything from what I understand. They can distort , alter, or  enhance  some sense perceptions which is what causes the 'psychedelic' aspects.
There is no actual 'physical harm' to any structures from what I have read over the years unless one has abused them.
 In lower doses they have been shown to be  beneficial in several types of psychological problems and many scientists were using them in therapy back in the late 50's and early 60's with very encouraging results until the gubbermint banned them due to them being abused by the counter culture movement and others.
Having said that I am not advocating their use as recreational drugs but it's interesting how the pharmaceuticals are allowed to dispense drugs that are much worse for people yet make millions from them.
Just an observation.
btw an excellent book that goes into the whole saga about lsd and related issues is called Acid Dreams by Lee and Shlain.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 07 2013 at 10:42
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 11:51
I opted decriminalization. The way I see it, anything that comes naturally from the earth should have no laws bound to it. People should not be prosecuted for what they grow in their garden and consume, whether it be pumpkins or hemp. But that's another matter. Anything that is created synthetically, whether it be food, drug, or medication, should have a much stricter ruling. So yes, I'm all for legalizing weed, but not heroin.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 23:01
I do respect the principle of preserving life, liberty, and property, but whether I should pick legalization or decriminalization is a difficult matter. I would say it depends on which drug we are talking about specifically.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 08 2013 at 23:06
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 15:18
I think it should be a non-issue for decriminalization, but there's plenty of room for debate on whether all or some drugs should be legalized, which is what I want to have happen at this point- discussion.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 07:36
I don't think it's a complex question. The reasons why recreational drugs are prohibited in most countries are political and nothing to do with the well being of a nations citizens.

How many times has the CIA and major global banks been caught trafficking drugs, laundering drug money etc? You get caught with an ounce of weed of you, in the UK, that could be deemed enough to be dealing. Worst case scenario it could land you over 10 years in prison. Meanwhile in Afghanistan US marines are instructed not to try and stop the opium poppy farming, because it could antagonise the locals. What does much of the revenue from the illegal drug trade fund? That's right, terrorism. Why are we in Afghanistan (oficially)? That's right, to fight terrorism..

It's a twisted world underpinned with dubious and contradictory morality. Personally I'm all for legalisation of drugs in principle. Such an initiative would have some serious teething problems, but ultimately it would, in my opinion, settle down as the market is regulated taxed and controlled.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 11:42
Legalization, we already have laws on the books for any illegal misbehaviour people may do while on drugs.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 15:18
Legalize the drugs, but stop reanimating people having O.D.s.
If someone suffers lethal wounds after a car crash because of DUI, no reanimation.
No medical care for people suffering of the consequences of the use of drugs.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 15:26
Because that is what you would want done if it is one of your loved ones who Od'ed
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 20:17
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I don't think it's a complex question. The reasons why recreational drugs are prohibited in most countries are political and nothing to do with the well being of a nations citizens.

How many times has the CIA and major global banks been caught trafficking drugs, laundering drug money etc? You get caught with an ounce of weed of you, in the UK, that could be deemed enough to be dealing. Worst case scenario it could land you over 10 years in prison. Meanwhile in Afghanistan US marines are instructed not to try and stop the opium poppy farming, because it could antagonise the locals. What does much of the revenue from the illegal drug trade fund? That's right, terrorism. Why are we in Afghanistan (oficially)? That's right, to fight terrorism..

It's a twisted world underpinned with dubious and contradictory morality. Personally I'm all for legalisation of drugs in principle. Such an initiative would have some serious teething problems, but ultimately it would, in my opinion, settle down as the market is regulated taxed and controlled.
I don't think it's about whether or not the government cares about the national well-being. It's more about the society expecting the government to control the society. That is, some of us want others to be controlled. I don't expect the government to care about us.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 21:05
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Because that is what you would want done if it is one of your loved ones who Od'ed

You would be surprised to learn what I already did to my "loved ones".
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 21:09
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

My ears are more than open.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 21:17
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

My ears are more than open.

I bought them cakes and pastries more than once. Stern Smile
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 21:49
No one can take Edward Penishands seriously.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 04:44

Legalize the drugs, but stop reanimating people having O.D.s.
If someone suffers lethal wounds after a car crash because of DUI, no reanimation.
No medical care for people suffering of the consequences of the use of drugs.

Why not? Just because the wounds are self inflicted doesn't mean they don't deserve have. Addiction is an illness often caused by one little mistake that escalates. To assume that people making a very human mistake shouldn't be helped is cruel to say the least.

Arnold Schoenberg
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 09:06
and a violation of the oath doctors take
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 09:10
The question is also until how far the drugs would be the cause of the disease. If someone tried out weed once and gets a heart attack 30 years later we probably should take care of him.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 10:34
Liberty without responsability.

Yeah, that's why we need to legalize drugs.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 12:03

Liberty without responsability.

Yeah, that's why we need to legalize drugs.

I'm not proposing that it be legalised. There is quite a significant difference between legalisation and decriminalisation.

Arnold Schoenberg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>