Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoll call for Jethro Tull in Copenhagen 20/9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 17:37
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

You might enjoy the concert more if you listen to the album in advance Wink

Can't agree more. TAAB2 tells stories and it's worth to get into them. You know Ian is a great story-teller, possible futures of Gerald Bostock (the Banker, Homeless, the Chorister, the Military man, the Ordinary man) are stories of real people we meet in our lives or even our own stories.

Edited by NotAProghead - September 07 2013 at 18:26
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 18:24
Just returned from the gig. Oh boys, it was something!

Two sets - TAAB and, after 20-minute intermission, TAAB2, both in their entiriety. 
Crocus City Hall is one of the best and most prestigeous venues in Moscow, the sound is usually great. In Ian's concert it was perfect, with great dynamics and all details audible.

Yes, that's true - on TAAB Ryan O'Donnell sings about half of vocal parts (and, by the way, he is good as an actor) and I started thinking that all these "Ian can't sing so he hired a man to sing difficult parts" are true. The only thing making me think otherwise was Ian's singing - it was as good as it can be.

I forgot my doubts in the second set, when the band performed TAAB2 - most vocal parts here done by Ian and without noticeable flows. Add here his stage presence, good sense of humour, his band's skills and high quality sound and you'll get the picture.

No wonder in the end the audience gave the band standing ovation. Excellent version of "Locomotive Breath" was a great finale of the show.

Conclusion: Ian's in good physical and vocal form. If you like Tull, don't miss his shows. If you are a prog fan and can attend TAAB and TAAB2 programme - go to see it. Don't listen to the sceptics who grumbling "Ian can't sing anymore". I saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears - he can!

Edited by NotAProghead - September 07 2013 at 18:29
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 03:57
Good to hear that. JT's one of the first bands I ever became a hardcore fan of so I want to see them in the live setting at least once anyway, and when I've passed up on that opportunity twice...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 04:45
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Just returned from the gig. Oh boys, it was something!

Two sets - TAAB and, after 20-minute intermission, TAAB2, both in their entiriety. 
Crocus City Hall is one of the best and most prestigeous venues in Moscow, the sound is usually great. In Ian's concert it was perfect, with great dynamics and all details audible.

Yes, that's true - on TAAB Ryan O'Donnell sings about half of vocal parts (and, by the way, he is good as an actor) and I started thinking that all these "Ian can't sing so he hired a man to sing difficult parts" are true. The only thing making me think otherwise was Ian's singing - it was as good as it can be.

I forgot my doubts in the second set, when the band performed TAAB2 - most vocal parts here done by Ian and without noticeable flows. Add here his stage presence, good sense of humour, his band's skills and high quality sound and you'll get the picture.

No wonder in the end the audience gave the band standing ovation. Excellent version of "Locomotive Breath" was a great finale of the show.

Conclusion: Ian's in good physical and vocal form. If you like Tull, don't miss his shows. If you are a prog fan and can attend TAAB and TAAB2 programme - go to see it. Don't listen to the sceptics who grumbling "Ian can't sing anymore". I saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears - he can!

Sceptic here. Ian cannot sing anymore. He has totally lost his voice. I am a Tull freak. I have been following them since 1972. I have seen them live in 1977, 1984, 1994, 2005 and 2011.  His vocals have been embarrassing for almost 25 years. I love Tull but Tull without Martin is not Tull, no matter anyone says.

I am quite confident that Martin and Ian will get together for a Tull finale.......encouraging acknowledgment by Ian on the whereabouts of both Ian and Doane on the Tull website recently. So lets have a final Tull instrumental album and please Ian do not "sing" anymore.

Edited by BarryGlibb - September 08 2013 at 04:47
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 07:10
^ And get them to come to Melbourne!
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 09:10
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

So lets have a final Tull instrumental album and please Ian do not "sing" anymore.
So let's better leave the decision to Mr. Anderson. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 17:34
A day left, I still look more or less like my display pic. Plan on being at the venue around the time the doors open at 19:00.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 06:54
So are there any Danes frequenting this site who are actually going, outside of the Mantis? 
I wish I could be there, I genuinely do, but I am currently living off cans of tuna and rough bjs down by the harbour just to get byOuch

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 20 2013 at 07:27
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 07:24
Surprisingly Jethro visited Israel 5 or 6 times everytime for 3 shows. I caught the last tour, with Martin Barre on guitars, and went to the first concert, it was so incredible that I had to buy another ticket for the third show as well!! I remember a totally different rendition for Aqualung which blew my panties off.

Sadly I didn't go to the TAAB tour this year. Have fun man!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 02:44
Talked to some of the other people in the audience, but had no idea if they were PA members. (probably not)

As for the concert, it didn't disappoint. The guitarist obviously wasn't on the same level as Martin Barre, and Ian Anderson's voice not what it used to be either... but did a good job nonetheless. IA's sense of humour is in top form as usual, and one of the funniest in the genre.

The TAAB2 stuff was pretty interesting if not on the same level as the original, but that is some rather big shoes to fill.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12