Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Progressive rock "Progressive"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 03:38
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Yup, two of the most successful bands in the whole world ever had brilliant drummers.
The Beatles Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album cover
He said 'great', which I agree with- that doesn't necessarily mean insane fusion chops, a great drummer for a band is first & foremost absolutely solid, strong, in time, driving. Which I think both Ringo & Mason are. Ringo cops a lot of flak.
This was referring to his comment that you also picked-up on, not that they were not "great" drummers.

I would be the first to defend Ringo and Mason (and have done on many occasions) - they were the right drummers for those bands - Bozzio or Brufford in either of those bands would not have produced those two landmark albums.
What?
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 03:41

LOL Funny
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 03:56

Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Yup, two of the most successful bands in the whole world ever had brilliant drummers.
The Beatles Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album cover
He said 'great', which I agree with- that doesn't necessarily mean insane fusion chops, a great drummer for a band is first & foremost absolutely solid, strong, in time, driving. Which I think both Ringo & Mason are. Ringo cops a lot of flak.
This was referring to his comment that you also picked-up on, not that they were not "great" drummers.

I would be the first to defend Ringo and Mason (and have done on many occasions) - they were the right drummers for those bands - Bozzio or Brufford in either of those bands would not have produced those two landmark albums.
Right, my apologies.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 05:07
For futher refrence check these related websides :

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 05:25
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

Not all progressions are good.
Progressing into lifeless music ....void of feel and humanity.... is the dark wormhole most modern prog bands have descended into.  This has been aided by computer programs that take away the necessity to pay attention to what is actually important.

Why would you record music on a device that was designed to do word processing?

Example?

How about YES.  Talk was their first album done on a Mac computer.  It sounds about as lifeless as that band could ever sound.

I used to run a Prog Rock label and would get 10 submissions a week from bands all over the earth and would listen to these lifeless demos and recordings that were done on computers.  I finally realized that no one was making the great stuff anymore. 

What drummer would not want to make a Prog rock album.. could it really be that hard to find someone to track with?
Apparently so.  I can't tell you how many demos I would hear with drum machines and midi synth patches.  How can you sign a band when the most important element (the drummer) is no were to be found?

What I mean is that all the great Prog bands had GREAT drummers driving the band.  You NEED a great drummer to keep it all together and move the band properly through the dynamic elements.   Can't do that on a drum machine.. can't do it..

So what you are saying is that because we have today got tools better/worse/diffrent than what we had in 1971.
We can assume that bands like :
The Mars Volta, Opeth, Porcupine, Tool, Pendragon, Acid Mothers Temple, Koenjihyakkei, The Decemberists,
Änglagård, Colour Haze. ect ect ect.

Have no idear about playing their instruments, because they most likely record everything one note at the time,and copy paste it all into computers.

Is that what you are saying, or ?

Edited by tamijo - October 01 2013 at 05:29
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 07:26
^ That is what he is saying. 
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 07:37
While I agree that most of the classic rock bands began to sound rather plasticy from the 80s and onwards, that is mostly down to the production values. Nothing to do with the players not being able to playConfused
So much more out there, if you just know where to look. Speaking for myself, I don't keep searching for gold in a mine that repeatedly shows itself to be barren. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:12
^ Yes!!! Thank you. It's a hit or miss scenario. You just have to know where to look or find that perfect blend classic/modern production characteristics.
We can all be happy...we just gotta know where to look. ;)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567